CROSS PENS AND PENCILS

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Shave4Fun

CROSS PENS AND PENCILS

Post by Shave4Fun »

Gentlemen,

For years I have held that Cross made very good pens and pencils for the money. Recently I sent one back for repair because it got old and too stiff to twist (go ahead and laugh now!). When I got it back it worked okay and the mechanism seemed study enough, but not the feel of the older ones. I also bought a couple of their lower end pens in a note card set, and they are junk. The mechanism is just flimsy and won't even hold (the pen closes with the slightest contact with the clip while writing). However, all the pens are being made in China now, or so I was told. For Cross users, what are your thoughts and experiences with newer Cross pens?

Thanks
Roger

I've been a wet shaver for 56 years! 8)
desertbadger

Re: CROSS PENS AND PENCILS

Post by desertbadger »

Shave4Fun wrote:
However, all the pens are being made in China now, or so I was told.
Thanks
I don't have any of the new pens, but given the supposed country of origin, they're probably junk.

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
brothers

Post by brothers »

I've only had two, the first one I lost after about 10 years of daily use. The person who had given it to me, my mother-in-law, kindly replaced it with another one, a blue one, and I've now had it at least 20 years. It developed the same malfunction you've described about 8 years ago, and I sent it off for repair, and it's still going strong. In my shirt pocket every morning, and used every day (weekends off, of course).
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I have owned two Cross sets over the years -- one in gold plate, and the other silver. Both were decent enough pens, but for some reason, I felt they were too slim within my hand. I also have found that over time the mechanisms seem to be more cheaply made - and lack the smoothness of my pens from 30 years ago.

To make matters worse, my handwriting is so poor that it's virtually illegible with most pens.

I am a fan of Mont Blanc pens -- every one I have used (only a few mind you, borrowed for a signature, etc.) feel wonderful in hand, and seem extremely well crafted to a very high spec. I am not familiar with other high-end writing implement options.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
changabang

Post by changabang »

Not all Cross pens have been farmed out across the pond. I recently bought a Chinese made "Townsend" model that appears to be a well made monster-in-the-hand. But I also bought one of the slim classics in a two tone black that was made in the USA. Both of these were through Amazon.com.
Apparently many Cross models ARE made in China; they aren't necessarily junk.
James Nicks
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

I have two of the classic pencils. Old one: Made in USA. Sturdy, reliable, beautifully made. New one: Made in China. Flimsy metal, poorly milled (sharp uncomfortable ridge where the two halves join) and some cheap plastic lead-advance mechanism touted as a "feature" which can be removed to "convert" the thing into a ballpoint. Junk. They seem to be following the business model of "Don't sell the product, sell the brand". But that only works if the brand means something.

I remember when Hilton was a mark of quality for hotels, too.
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Like Wendell, my handwriting is bad. I sign badly, and since I don't write much, I don't even use cursive. I tried to use fountain pens and found that I stained my hands with ink and even smeared the writing at times, and I am right-handed! I did like the variation in shading I got with a modified nib, but most of my handwriting is quick and in bursts - taking notes during a trial, scribbling a phone number, signing a letter to someone, etc, making a bank deposit, etc.

I had a Cross pen and lost it, the original classic thin one. Loved it. Went through some ballpoints and for some reason, I like the stylings of Visconti. I had a Maxi Van Gogh and may get one again, but I have a black Opera Club with the variated handle that makes it easier to grip
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I saw your other thread about a roller ball pen. That's what works best for me as well -- no ink on the hands, fingers, etc. Unlike shaving, I don't have much patience when I write ...... :wink:
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

changabang wrote:Not all Cross pens have been farmed out across the pond. I recently bought a Chinese made "Townsend" model that appears to be a well made monster-in-the-hand. But I also bought one of the slim classics in a two tone black that was made in the USA. Both of these were through Amazon.com.
Apparently many Cross models ARE made in China; they aren't necessarily junk.
Thanks for the reply and info. The two-tone black/gold classic is a nice pen. I was told by an ebay vendor that after 2004 they are all made in China. That's not correct?
Roger

changabang

Post by changabang »

That could well be the truth, Roger. I honestly am not aware when or even if they commissioned all their pens to be manufactured abroad.
If that is the case, then there is all the more urgency to get some American made pens while they are still available. :!:
James Nicks
Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

changabang wrote:That could well be the truth, Roger. I honestly am not aware when or even if they commissioned all their pens to be manufactured abroad.
If that is the case, then there is all the more urgency to get some American made pens while they are still available. :!:
I bought one like this. Don't have it yet, but should soon. Much better price than from Cross.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cross-Century-B ... 1149258%26
Roger

changabang

Post by changabang »

Yes, that is the classic Century model. The one I bought from Amazon was about $30 + or -, and the bottom half of the barrel is a lighter, patterned black than the solid top half, and made in the USA.
James Nicks
jthomas60506

Post by jthomas60506 »

I have a few Cross pen/pencil sets, but, like several others, they are just too thin.

I have used Parker pens (fountain pens & rollerballs) for a number of years. But I'd have to say that my favorite pen is the Waterman Carene. I bought mine about twelve years ago, so I don't know if they're even in production any more. Excellent pen.

jt
Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

jthomas60506 wrote:I have a few Cross pen/pencil sets, but, like several others, they are just too thin.

I have used Parker pens (fountain pens & rollerballs) for a number of years. But I'd have to say that my favorite pen is the Waterman Carene. I bought mine about twelve years ago, so I don't know if they're even in production any more. Excellent pen.

jt
They are available:
http://www.paradisepen.com/Waterman-Car ... 4AodnVgAjA
Roger

Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

Shave4Fun wrote:
changabang wrote:That could well be the truth, Roger. I honestly am not aware when or even if they commissioned all their pens to be manufactured abroad.
I bought one like this. Don't have it yet, but should soon. Much better price than from Cross.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cross-Century-B ... 1149258%26
The Black Cross Century arrived a few days ago. It is dated circa 1994. The real Cross feel and deal. Mechanically excellent except for ink being dry, which can be expected.

Regards,
Roger

changabang

Post by changabang »

How were you able to determine 1994 was the manufacture date? The box mine came in had no such info. Add to that the fact I can hardly make out the "USA" on the barrel of the pen!
James Nicks
Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

changabang wrote:How were you able to determine 1994 was the manufacture date? The box mine came in had no such info. Add to that the fact I can hardly make out the "USA" on the barrel of the pen!
It has Copyright 1994 on a card in the plastic hang case.
Roger

changabang

Post by changabang »

Copyright doesn't necessarily have anything to do with date of manufacture.
James Nicks
Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

changabang wrote:Copyright doesn't necessarily have anything to do with date of manufacture.
True.
Roger

wenestvedt

Post by wenestvedt »

I live in Rhode Island, about 15 minutes drive from the Cross plant (and company store, which I have yet to visit!). They do still make some items here, though definitely not everything.