Roller ball or ballpoint

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Roller ball or ballpoint

Post by Sam »

I have a Visconti Opera Club ballpoint. Used to have fountain pens but my writing is done in spurts, short notes like in court, or making phone notes, or making a quick bank deposit or maybe notes in the bulletin at church. That's about it. The Opera Club has the ribbed feel to it, all black. Use Schmidt's Parker-type refills.

Been thinking Id like to go the Van Gogh or Rembrandt in a roller. I see there is this Eco-Roller thing and wanted to see if anyone had suggestions on either the Van Gogh or the Rembrandt and then eco-roller. Id like a body at least as wide as the Opera club, and the thing about the Van Gogh is I might be able to find one in the Maxi. A lso, if you know of a great price on either pen, please direct me, even by PM

And you may suggest that I just keep the Opera Club and use some sort of gel pen refill rather than the Schmidts. The Schmidt one I have in now is kinda scratchy and can if not used in a while fail to start quickly.

I do like the opening/uncapping of the Viscontis and if there was a deal, I am fine with say a regular rollerball. I dont like fussiness

Edit: I dont know if I would like the nonstop or eco rollerballs as they take bottled ink and now that I think about it, still the issue of quick drying and what not, vs a regular rollerball cartridge refill, or even an gel ink refill but the uncapping of a roller vs. clicking or twisting of a ballpoint

I could I guess just try to get a new refill for my ballpoint, say a gel or roller ball. Parker Gel refills I have used and the Schmidt capless roller balls. I am using a Schneider ballpoint refill and it is hard to start if unused after a week. visconti refills are expensive but I recall using one and it was quite good
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Well, I went to a local pen store and got a new ballpoint refill. Think that means a lot as far as how it looks. I got a gel-like refill, a Private Reserve easy flow 900m (which is made by Scmidt) and it glides.

But my pen is a thinner model, and I bought it with the faceted sides and guilloche (lined) pattern. I think that makes me grip it more. I am thinking that it might be better to get a fatter pen and make it light so if I write a long time it wont be as heavy. But something tells me lighter may make me write faster? Ideas?

By the way, anyone want to buy the Opera Club, I have it for sale in the sales forum on the non-shaving thread.
mikey

Post by mikey »

Sam,

Have you considered Visconti Homo Sapiens ballpoint or rollerball?

Thanks,
Mike
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Mike, wanting to stay less than $150
Furrball2

Re: Roller ball or ballpoint

Post by Furrball2 »

My wife bought me a Waterman Carene ball point for Christmas. I often use fountain pens but she thought a ballpoint would be more useful at work. I'm a physician so when we actually do use paper it is for signatures and the like.
Pen: Namiki
Razor: Merkur (Vision 2000) now 38C
Blades: Feather
Brush: Muhle-Pimsel silvertip
SureFire Executive Defender