Endeavour is Back ... With Another DE Moment

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
jww
Woolly Bully

Re: Endeavour is Back ... With Another DE Moment

Post by jww »

ThePossum wrote:Not a great fan of Morse but m wife is. Told her about Endeavour and she watched it last Sunday evening. Liked it and I think she will continue watching it even if I have to record it on our DVR for her.
Did she start with the origins special from last year? That's the key to the entire series, imo? For me a good brit whodunit isn't about the plot, but how the players interact with each other to come to closure/solution.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Exactly Wendell, the characters, settings, writing, Barnaby has to have a murder to solve but to me that's just incidental to the show.
Regards,
Squire
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Squire wrote:Exactly Wendell, the characters, settings, writing, Barnaby has to have a murder to solve but to me that's just incidental to the show.
And as good as these many shows are, nothing does,it for me like Morse's drawn out "Lewisssssss" or " Leeeeeewis". Says it all for me.
Wendell

ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

jww wrote:
ThePossum wrote:Not a great fan of Morse but m wife is. Told her about Endeavour and she watched it last Sunday evening. Liked it and I think she will continue watching it even if I have to record it on our DVR for her.
Did she start with the origins special from last year? That's the key to the entire series, imo? For me a good brit whodunit isn't about the plot, but how the players interact with each other to come to closure/solution.
Yes she did Wendell. I became aware of it on Netflix I believe or maybe Amazon and we watched it a month or so ago hoping that something might come of it in a tv series. So it did. She has been watching the new tv series on PBS.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
malocchio

Post by malocchio »

I really enjoyed the first couple of episodes,as I did Morse and Lewis programs. MHZ TV on my cable,and free to air tv,has great detective dramas from Italy,France,Sweden and Germany.Maigret,Montalbano,Don Matteo ,Wallender,Beck,Huss and a few more are truly done very well.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Episode 4 "Home" was broadcast on the Watertown PBS station last night and we decided to watch it this evening. Series 1 has proven to be well-spent time in front of the television. ITV has just announced that the success has spawned another season. They start filming later this year.

Sean Rigby does an outstanding job on the lead,character, as does Roger Allam as Morse's mentor, Fred Thursday. These are well written, well directed, and utilize one of the most iconic locations in England. Excited for series 2.

For any fans, who picked up the obligatory Colin Dexter cameo in this episode? One of my quirky things about arching Morse, Lewis and Endeavor is picking out those shots. It's a hoot. Tonight was quick and not as clear as some of the other ones but obvious if you were looking.
Wendell

Craig_From_Cincy

Post by Craig_From_Cincy »

Wendell, I missed the Dexter cameo, where was it? The fact that he had a cameo, to me, is as good as him endorsing the series.
Cheers,

Craig
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Craig_From_Cincy wrote:Wendell, I missed the Dexter cameo, where was it? The fact that he had a cameo, to me, is as good as him endorsing the series.
If you look closely in the early scene when the Dons from Bailley College are meeting to discuss the sale of the Booth Hill to developers, you will see a bald, elderly Don sitting in a chair at the forefront of the room to the right. That's Colin. He rarely says a word, but is always prominent in a single scene for a clear shot. I would love to sit and chat with him for a couple of hours in a pub --- no beer for me, but the atmosphere would be necessary to understand how he came up with Morse and the backdrop of Oxford.

Dexter is listed as one of the writers. He has been quoted in British press that he has long been in favour of a Morse origins, but had been waiting for the right time to see it done. I don't know that he ever puts pen to paper. He likely collaborates, which to me suggests that he approves the script. He didn't actually write all of the Morse and Lewis scripts but controlled the content and development to make sure they kept true to the characters.

Now that the final episode of Series 1 is done ....... what will we do until next year?????? I know -- we can talk about, um, er, ----- how about wet shaving???? :D
Wendell

Craig_From_Cincy

Look at what my lovely Wife bought for me!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 1033524243

Watching the entire series now from the first episode. :D
Cheers,

Craig
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Excellent, I give her a gold star.
Regards,
Squire
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Squire wrote:Excellent, I give her a gold star.
+1
Wendell

brothers

Post by brothers »

+ another 1.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Craig_From_Cincy

Well, it never fails. I've been complaining about Morse not being available via streaming (Netflix, Amazon etc) for years so my Wife bought me the series. The very day it arrives guess what Netflix adds to their streaming content?

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Inspe ... d=13462064

Life is a bitter mystery.
Cheers,

Craig
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Craig_From_Cincy wrote:Well, it never fails. I've been complaining about Morse not being available via streaming (Netflix, Amazon etc) for years so my Wife bought me the series. The very day it arrives guess what Netflix adds to their streaming content?

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Inspe ... d=13462064

Life is a bitter mystery.
We blew off Netflix before our free month ran out because the content here in Canada was nothing short of pathetic at the time. I wish there was a reliable, HD quality on-line streaming option for sports that one could record to watch later. When that comes out, a streaming device will replace my cable box. I hate paying for cable when all I want is a dozen HD channels that are only available when I take "packages" ..... oi. :evil:
Wendell

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Rats, the Netflix for my area doesn't have Inspector Morse listed.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Wendell, the wife and I just finished watching episode 1 of season 1 of Inspector Morse. It was long, but a new found treasure for many more enjoyable hours of entertainment in the coming months. Netflix does not carry it, at least here. No matter. It was free. Also, I've been wondering who was the gent in your avatar photo. If it's not John Thaw, I'll be a monkey's uncle. I'm slow sometimes, but I eventually get where I'm supposed to be.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

Alas, no luck with Endeavour (apparently anywhere online). It doesn't appear my PBS listings around here schedule it soon, either. I did find Inspector Morse on Netflix and will give it a try; my current addiction is the West Wing. I'm hardly watching it nowadays because I know what happened to one of the actors in real life and am dreading his plot's...ahem...modification...in the show.
Regards,
Mike
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

Well, there may be a solution for me. Since Amazon has pity on students, a Prime membership for .edu email holders is half price; I sort of backed into it, having forgotten to cancel once the free trial was out. In any case it's worth it for us. It turns out there are 2 listings for Endeavour on Amazon Instant Video: 1 which is an hour and 39 minutes, in a single go without any description that it's an episode in a series, and 1 which is four different episodes. Can someone explain to me the difference? Here are the links:

Single listing:
http://www.amazon.com/Masterpiece-Myste ... =endeavour

4 episodes:
http://www.amazon.com/Girl/dp/B00DUUKP8 ... =endeavour
Regards,
Mike
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I believe the longer show is the pilot for the series.
Regards,
Squire
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Squire wrote:I believe the longer show is the pilot for the series.
That is correct. You absolutely can not watch anything from the 4 episode season 1 until you have watched the premier episode which is just so good.

But to be a true fan - you have to watch all the Morse seasons in order first.
Wendell