Dyson fans

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Rufus

Dyson fans

Post by Rufus »

We have to replace the floor fan in our bedroom and had considered a Dyson until we saw the price. In Canada the elongated floor fan is a staggering $550 plus tax although Best Buy currently has them on sale for $450 plus tax :shock: Can this fan be that good? We have a Dyson upright vac, which SWMBO and our cleaning lady adore. It cost quite a bit more than other uprights, but so far it's been worth the money, according to SWMBO at least. Are the Dyson fans like this? In other words, is it the Vitamax of fans?
Bryan
jww
Woolly Bully

Re: Dyson fans

Post by jww »

I am gob-smacked every time I see the price of anything from Dyson.

I also admit to an ongoing fear that every time I place my hands in a Dyson hand dryer in a public restroom, a pair of ultra-sci-fi styled manicals will shoot out securing me to the unit, and subsequently the wall of the building.. :D

Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

Try a Vornado fan, affordable and do a great job of moving air around.
Good shaving,

Gary
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

I bought the oblong heater/fan for my office. It's a nice unit, sits in the corner and moves air fairly quietly. It oscillates and has a thermostat. It's unique and has no moving blades. Is it the greatest fan ever? Not really, but I'm happy with it and glad I didn't have to pay for it myself.

EDIT: it also has a remote control, which is nice.
Last edited by Kyle76 on Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Rufus wrote:...Is it the Vitamax of fans?
I don't have any real knowledge of fans other than the obvious, but I think the answer to your question is almost always a clear-cut "No". Exceptions in my opinion:

- if the increased safety of having no fan blades is very important in your situation - for example a room where a fan has to be on almost all the time and where inquisitive unsupervised children or puppies or free-flying birds frequently show up as well.

- if you are in a business where the trendy image will impress customers, increase sales, and the fan therefore partially pay for itself. (Sounds pretty doubtful to me. Maybe a useful excuse though if anyone needs one...) 8)

- if you really need a fan but also really need low noise or low vibration for some reason. (In that case I would do more research to see if there are other fans that suit your purpose just as well.)

...and if you did have a specific situation like one of those, I suspect you might have bought the fan already.

Otherwise, a much cheaper fan moves the air just fine.
never2close

Post by never2close »

I've had the fan since it was first released and I like it. I think it is cool (double entendre intended). It looks nice and it works. Can you accomplish the same cooling for less money? Of course you can, but then you wouldn't be as cool. (Double entendre intended, again). I also have a Dyson vac and a Vitamix. I like gadgets that are also well designed.
Ken
brothers

Post by brothers »

That hand-drying device is leaps and bounds ahead of those noisy little "World" dryers that you use just for appearances sake right before you dry your wet hands on your pants.

Speaking of fans, we don't really use floor fans, I think my wife has a small one sitting on the cabinet in the kitchen. We have ceiling fans in 5 rooms, and they seem to do pretty well in conjunction with the HVAC.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

brothers wrote:That hand-drying device is leaps and bounds ahead of those noisy little "World" dryers that you use just for appearances sake right before you dry your wet hands on your pants.
Indeed it is.
brothers wrote:Speaking of fans, we don't really use floor fans, I think my wife has a small one sitting on the cabinet in the kitchen. We have ceiling fans in 5 rooms, and they seem to do pretty well in conjunction with the HVAC.
[/quote]
+1

ymmv.
Wendell

Rufus

Post by Rufus »

brothers wrote:
Speaking of fans, we don't really use floor fans, I think my wife has a small one sitting on the cabinet in the kitchen. We have ceiling fans in 5 rooms, and they seem to do pretty well in conjunction with the HVAC.
Unfortunately neither SWMBO nor I like ceiling fans in our bedrooms. We installed ceiling fans in all our bedrooms about 10 years ago, but took them all out 3 years ago. We gave them all to my eldest daughter and her husband and they seem to really like them. We couldn't abide the noise they make, albeit barely audible, and much prefer the whirring sound of our floor fans... strange I know, especially since both SWMBO and I have the same opinion (an unusual occurrence in itself :roll: ).
Bryan
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

I recomend again to check out www.Vornado.com - we have the 660 and use it in our MBR to circulate the air, works better than a ceiling fan and is fairly quiet on the lower settings. In use for over two years and never a problem.
Good shaving,

Gary
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

gsgo wrote:I recomend again to check out http://www.Vornado.com - we have the 660 and use it in our MBR to circulate the air, works better than a ceiling fan and is fairly quiet on the lower settings. In use for over two years and never a problem.
Gary, I just checked out the Vornado website and it's a definite possibility. I like the prices, the low noise and the 5 year warranty. I'll give them a call to determine which would be the best model for us and where we can buy one in Canada. Thanks, you have been most helpful.
Bryan
brothers

Post by brothers »

Rufus wrote:
brothers wrote:
Unfortunately neither SWMBO nor I like ceiling fans in our bedrooms. We installed ceiling fans in all our bedrooms about 10 years ago, but took them all out 3 years ago. We gave them all to my eldest daughter and her husband and they seem to really like them. We couldn't abide the noise they make, albeit barely audible, and much prefer the whirring sound of our floor fans... strange I know, especially since both SWMBO and I have the same opinion (an unusual occurrence in itself :roll: ).
Rufus, I personally don't enjoy a ceiling fan blowing on me while I'm asleep. The wife's just the opposite, naturally. :D
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Apparently, Dyson calls them "air multipliers" not fans. Our collective bad.
Wendell

Rufus

Post by Rufus »

jww wrote:Apparently, Dyson calls them "air multipliers" not fans. Our collective bad.
Double bad: Vornado calls them "circulators".
Bryan
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

another vornado fan here. besides the few i use indoors, I keep two outside on the deck to keep the mosquitoes away from me :D

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

P.S. very very nice to see NTS out and about :D
de gustibus non est disputandum
SirCur

Post by SirCur »

Rufus wrote:We have to replace the floor fan in our bedroom and had considered a Dyson until we saw the price. In Canada the elongated floor fan is a staggering $550 plus tax although Best Buy currently has them on sale for $450 plus tax :shock: Can this fan be that good? We have a Dyson upright vac, which SWMBO and our cleaning lady adore. It cost quite a bit more than other uprights, but so far it's been worth the money, according to SWMBO at least. Are the Dyson fans like this? In other words, is it the Vitamax of fans?
Rufus,

I purchased one of these exact units (at Best Buy) about 18 months ago. It is used exclusively in our master bedroom. IMO it is well worth the money. There are a number of reasons that I would recommend this to you:

1. It's whisper quiet - perfect for a bedroom whether you're sleeping, reading, watching TV ...
2. It looks great. Who wants a big, ugly white or black fan sitting in their bedroom?
3. Remote control - you'll use it more than you think.

You might purchase one of these only once in a number of years. Yes, the price is high but yes, they are worth it IMO.

... Steve
To want what I have
To take what I'm given with grace
For this I pray
MaxP

Post by MaxP »

Slightly OT. I apologize.

The Dyson vac is an overpriced, highly advertised, 100% Piece of plastic masquerading as an appliance.
Yes, its well engineered. Yes, it does suck. No, its not a great vaccuum.

Just my opinion on Dyson.
Regards,

MaxP

"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle." - Abraham Lincoln
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Rufus wrote:
gsgo wrote:I recomend again to check out http://www.Vornado.com - we have the 660 and use it in our MBR to circulate the air, works better than a ceiling fan and is fairly quiet on the lower settings. In use for over two years and never a problem.
Gary, I just checked out the Vornado website and it's a definite possibility. I like the prices, the low noise and the 5 year warranty. I'll give them a call to determine which would be the best model for us and where we can buy one in Canada. Thanks, you have been most helpful.
I sent Vornado's customer service dept an e-mail through their website a week ago and no reply yet; not even an acknowledgement of my e-mail. Not good at all; bloody annoying in fact. As concerns the Dyson fan, a few of you have been quite definitive and articulate in your liking, but I'm still gagging over the price...now if it were a Manchurian or HMW shaving brush it would be a different matter... :whistle:
Bryan
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

Bryan, I would just call the 1-800 line or get on the live chat, I saw a note that they have shut down a part of the site for changes.
Good shaving,

Gary