The Atlantic: How to Make Perfect Coffee

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
GA Russell

The Atlantic: How to Make Perfect Coffee

Post by GA Russell »

Here's a lengthy article about coffee that you might find interesting from The Atlantic. I find the comments interesting as well.

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archi ... ee/278944/
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
churchilllafemme

Re: The Atlantic: How to Make Perfect Coffee

Post by churchilllafemme »

If I paid as much attention to it as a great cup of coffee seems to demand, I'd never have time to be obsessive about my shaving routine....
_______
John
beartrap

Post by beartrap »

I had full intention reading it, but seriously? I can make a super slow Turkish roast 10 times before I can finish reading that :lol:
Steve
Scrapyard Ape

Post by Scrapyard Ape »

I think NASA's launch procedure protocols are easier to follow than this article's coffee making process. :mrgreen:
~Greg
brothers

Post by brothers »

Does Atlantic often publish articles similar to this, both in volume and technicality? I imagine the two fellows who prepared the article are hard at work on other issues equally as detailed and complex, but I admit I'm unfamiliar with the magazine industry.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Most people who like coffee will do a good job with it. My Grandfather made a good pot but my Grandmother, who didn't drink coffee, would make it if asked but the resulting brew was as indifferent as her attitude toward it.
Regards,
Squire
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

Gary, I was a subscriber years ago, and yes, the articles are long and detailed. Now, the only magazine I get is the New Yorker, and I can barely keep up with it, as some of those articles are pretty lengthy, too. I do try to keep up with the cartoons, though! :lol:
Jim
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

Squire wrote:Most people who like coffee will do a good job with it. My Grandfather made a good pot but my Grandmother, who didn't drink coffee, would make it if asked but the resulting brew was as indifferent as her attitude toward it.
My dad was visiting us a few weeks ago; at one point, he asked how I made my coffee. I thought it a strange question, since it's pretty straightforward around here - put grounds in, put water in tank, press on button. He was amazed I hadn't done anything special because he claimed it was just as good as his mother's (RIP) coffee - which, to him, was the gold standard.

It's the little things like this, from generation to generation.
Regards,
Mike
brothers

Post by brothers »

Generally, I just like coffee, and it has to be pretty bad before I refuse to drink it.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Going to the trouble and expense of buying all sorts of gear, making charts, etc., for what should be a relatively simple task -- c'mon, who does that? :lol:
Ron
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

rsp1202 wrote:Going to the trouble and expense of buying all sorts of gear, making charts, etc., for what should be a relatively simple task -- c'mon, who does that? :lol:
+1.. . with all their obsessions and quirks you would think these guys were...wet shavers!
I too love a good cup of coffee but my palate isn't nearly so sophisticated nor developed as
many coffee buffs, evidentally.
jr/John
Enjoying wet shaving, again.
jr/John
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Everybody needs a hobby.
Regards,
Squire
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Twenty-five years ago I lived in Atlanta. There was a coffee merchant there named John Martinez who had been the subject of articles in both the New York Times and USA Today.

He told me that any drip coffee maker like Mr. Coffee was perfectly satisfactory.

He said that the key was to buy fresh-roasted coffee, consume it soon thereafter and grind it at home immediately before brewing.
Fitness
Lijun badger
Julius_Rodman

Post by Julius_Rodman »

Thanks for the article.

French press all the way.

less clarity you say????

The health issues are well documented....
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Julius, I used to have a French press, but I broke it. It's what everyone in Quebec uses, I found.

What health issues are you referring to?
Fitness
Lijun badger
Julius_Rodman

Post by Julius_Rodman »

GA Russell wrote:Julius, I used to have a French press, but I broke it. It's what everyone in Quebec uses, I found.

What health issues are you referring to?

From browsing the 'net it appears that the lack of filtering poses a few problems for your health; I'll let you see for yourself.

So 1/4 cup of ground coffee per litre of water is the golden ration?
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

great thread....thanks

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum