A question for the Jewish guys

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
GA Russell

A question for the Jewish guys

Post by GA Russell »

A rabbi who was influential in Israeli politics died yesterday. Here is the link to his LA Times obituary.

http://www.latimes.com/obituaries/la-me ... 3772.story

You will notice that he is referred to as "ultra-orthodox," as if that tells you something about his religious beliefs. But does it? I have often seen press reports of Israeli rabbis referred to as "ultra-orthodox," but never once an American rabbi. I am aware of "orthodox", "conservative" and "reform" Jews in the US, but I have never seen an American Jew referred to as "ultra-orthodox".

That leads me to believe that the term "ultra-orthodox" does not refer to the rabbis' religious beliefs, but is rather a reflection of the American media's opinion of their politics.

Am I right?
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
Squire
Squadron Leader

Re: A question for the Jewish guys

Post by Squire »

I should think one is either orthodox or one is not.
Regards,
Squire
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Im not the right person to answer this, but there is a difference in how the view religion and its laws......hassidic jews (who in my opinion lean toward the 'ultra' part of the curve) are far more religious than orthodox jews are as an example

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
andyr

Post by andyr »

"Ultra-orthodox" usually means the political beliefs of some Orthodox Jews in Israel: very conservative and religiously-observant. They have enough Knesset representatives so larger politically parties court them in order to form a coalition.