good sipping whiskey?

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
changabang

Re: good sipping whiskey?

Post by changabang »

JR, I've been a life long non smoker, but I can believe a good cigar would enhance the "sipping".

Nolawis, you are a lucky man. I guess I have no choice but to assiduously track down some Van Winkle, or die trying... :wink:
James Nicks
brothers

Post by brothers »

Today at our daughter's house for Thanksgiving dinner, I encountered a whiskey (obviously I'm not a very good name-remember-er, or I'd be able to name it, (is there an "Evan" something or other?) that was flavored with cinnamon. My daughters picked it up for the purpose of adding it to some hot apple cider. The salesperson told them it wasn't meant for just drinking it, but rather would make a good addition to apple cider. And it was. It was a sunny but cold day, and the hot cider with whiskey was a nice drink for a pleasant and fun day with the extended family.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

nolawis wrote:The Van Winkle is very hard to come by. I know the owner of the parent company (Buffalo Trace) but that by no means gives me unlimited access. It only helps me snatch a bottle every now and again and I make them last. I'm currently sitting on half a bottle of 15 year.

Nw
My wife's cousin called me while visiting family and said he was camped outside the local liquor emporium, waiting for the 2013 PVW release the next morning. I took him some coffee and ended up rolled up in a sleeping bag on the ground next to him, waiting for my own :) I walked away with a Van Winkle SR 12, and very reasonable at $50. SWMBO is due to be induced on Saturday night; I think once we've returned home and settled in, the birth of our first will ample cause for opening that particular bottle.
Regards,
Mike
nolawis

Post by nolawis »

maskaggs wrote:
nolawis wrote:The Van Winkle is very hard to come by. I know the owner of the parent company (Buffalo Trace) but that by no means gives me unlimited access. It only helps me snatch a bottle every now and again and I make them last. I'm currently sitting on half a bottle of 15 year.

Nw
My wife's cousin called me while visiting family and said he was camped outside the local liquor emporium, waiting for the 2013 PVW release the next morning. I took him some coffee and ended up rolled up in a sleeping bag on the ground next to him, waiting for my own :) I walked away with a Van Winkle SR 12, and very reasonable at $50. SWMBO is due to be induced on Saturday night; I think once we've returned home and settled in, the birth of our first will ample cause for opening that particular bottle.
It would be hard to think of a better occasion than that to open the bottle. Good luck to you and yours. Cheers!

Nw
Fair winds and following seas.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

A combination of poor light and no glasses led me to read the title of this thread as "good stripping whiskey"! Now depending on whether that makes you think of women, men or paint, it might be a valid thought.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

Chris, I've had some whiskey that tasted like it would, indeed, strip paint.
Jim
changabang

Post by changabang »

drmoss_ca wrote:A combination of poor light and no glasses led me to read the title of this thread as "good stripping whiskey"! Now depending on whether that makes you think of women, men or paint, it might be a valid thought.

Chris
Doc, I almost painted the screen with coffee. Thanks for that. Mike, congratulations on your acquisition and the impending birth of your firstborn. Remember, SWMBO is for real. It's not just another acronym. She MUST be obeyed!

Gary, wish I could have shared "Evan" with you. Hope you had a nice Thanksgiving.
James Nicks
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Mike, congratulations on your acquisition and the impending birth of your firstborn.
27 thumbs up on the sentiment

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

Mike,
All the best to your wife and you on your first born!
Enjoying wet shaving, again.
jr/John
jtpca

Post by jtpca »

maskaggs wrote:

Nw

Congrats - my first born was celebrated with a bottle of Oban 1/2 year ago. A scotch that has never tasted so fine. All the best for mom and child.
Jason

There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know. - Truman
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

Gents, our son Henry came out squalling yesterday at 7:08 PM. He decided to forego induction and arrive a day before it was scheduled. He's perfectly healthy and came out at 7 pounds 2 ounces. He is, as all you fathers know, absolutely perfect.

I am exhausted. My back and my feet are on fire from pacing with him and bouncing him. But neither of those compare to the heroism of Mrs. Maskaggs, or the pure, unadulterated joy of cradling a snoozing son. Truly we are blessed. There's no turning back now!
Regards,
Mike
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

Congratulations, Mike! Your life just changed significantly and forever. Enjoy the journey ... and the Van Winkle!
Jim
Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

Congratulations, Mike!
Regards,
Mike
brothers

Post by brothers »

Congratulations Dad and Mom! Wonderful news!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

Mike, congratulations on the joyous news!
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
changabang

Post by changabang »

The journey begins. I wish you strength and patience and perseverance. And congratulations.
James Nicks
nolawis

Post by nolawis »

Great news! All to best to you and yours. Perhaps this joyous news is another excuse for me to dip into my PVW!
Fair winds and following seas.
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

nolawis wrote:Great news! All to best to you and yours. Perhaps this joyous news is another excuse for me to dip into my PVW!
We're scheduled to be discharged tonight. I'll join you in a toast across the bits and bytes - here's to Henry!
Regards,
Mike
The_Metatron

Post by The_Metatron »

Congratulations to you and your wife, Mike.

As for whiskey, I am now pinch hitting between two bottles. A bottle of Dalwhinnie, and the standard ten year old Glenmorangie. Interestingly, I have visited both of these distilleries in Scotland. The only American whiskey I like is Maker's Mark, an exceptional bourbon.
"The secret of steel has always carried with it a mystery. You must learn its riddle. You must learn its discipline. For no one - no one in this world can you trust. Not men, not women, not beasts... This you can trust."
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Great news Mike, my best to you all.
Regards,
Squire