good sipping whiskey?

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
changabang

good sipping whiskey?

Post by changabang »

This is the time of year I allow myself to conservatively indulge in strong waters, and as I am not a partaker, I could use some recommendations re good sipping whiskey. Please exclude Scotch; it's just not my cup of tea, and thanks.
James Nicks
Kyle76

Re: good sipping whiskey?

Post by Kyle76 »

I enjoy Wild Turkey American Honey over ice. Makes a great nightcap.
Jim
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Being in Quebec the SAQ exacts a hefty tariff on distilled spirits from the U.S. so you may wish to buy domestic. A couple good ones of very different styles are Forty Creek Barrel Select or Wiser's Legacy Pot Still Rye.
Regards,
Squire
SRD

Post by SRD »

Old Weller Antique. Readily available and priced right...one of the most undervalued whiskies available. Highly recommended.
Dave
changabang

Post by changabang »

Squire wrote:Being in Quebec the SAQ exacts a hefty tariff on distilled spirits from the U.S. so you may wish to buy domestic. A couple good ones of very different styles are Forty Creek Barrel Select or Wiser's Legacy Pot Still Rye.
Actually, Squire, I'm one of those damn Yankees, and by "baja Quebec", I mean northern New England in the tundra belt. Much like Texas is sometimes referred to as Baja Oklahoma. :wink:
James Nicks
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I've never heard a Texan say that.
Regards,
Squire
changabang

Post by changabang »

You probably wouldn't hear a Texan say it. But it was the title of a novel twenty, thirty some years ago. I'm sure it was not meant as a compliment to the Lone Star state.
James Nicks
Gene

Post by Gene »

changabang wrote:You probably wouldn't hear a Texan say it.
You won't.

:)
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
changabang

Post by changabang »

It was a satirical novel by the sportswriter Dan Jenkins set in the Ft. Worth area. It was written tongue-in-cheek, I'm sure.
James Nicks
changabang

Post by changabang »

For those of you who suggested whiskies, thank you. Any others? Wheat vs. rye; blended vs. bourbon? Canadian vs. Tennessee vs. Kentucky?
James Nicks
brothers

Post by brothers »

Here is a list of 2 things I enjoy very much: 1, Jack Daniels; 2, Everything about Texas. They really do speak my language down there.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Araner

Post by Araner »

Scotch is ruled out! I’m speechless.

Well, not really speechless; my goodness man, you’re missing out on the best things in life.

Try a bottle of BenRiach 12 year old single malt scotch “Sherry Matured”. It’ll make the holiday season all the better.

Regards,
Mike
changabang

Post by changabang »

Mike, Scotch is ruled out because every brand I've tried (and I've tried at least a half dozen good ones) has tasted too smoky and/or peaty to the point it makes me gag.
James Nicks
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

Having grown up and entered the world of spirits just across the river from Kentucky, bourbon is my whiskey of choice (although blended scotch isn't far behind - I know, I know, you single malters). Trying to think of a few widely-available sippers, all preferably labeled as "Straight Bourbon Whiskey" (it does make a difference):

Bulleitt
Knob Creek
Four Roses Small Batch or Single Barrel

You can also go with bourbon's cousins Irish and Tennessee whisk(e)ys. I like Redbreast 12 Year (Irish) and George Dickel #18 (Tennessee).
Regards,
Mike
changabang

Post by changabang »

I've tried Knob Creek: not bad. Have heard of Bulleit and the Irish whiskey before. Is Irish anything like Scotch?
James Nicks
nolawis

Post by nolawis »

Maker's Mark isn't bad and readily available. I really enjoy Buffalo Trace and I sip on my Van Winkle on special occasions.
Fair winds and following seas.
changabang

Post by changabang »

Think I've tried MM some time ago. I take it Van Winkle is the good stuff and too expensive to gargle down. :lol:
James Nicks
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

Our favorite Irish is Tullamore Dew, smooth and nice for sipping.
Fifty + years ago, I got drunk and sick on cheaper Scotch and since then the
very smell of any scotch is enough to repulse me.
Bourbon, Irish and many "Canadian" offerings make for nice sipping; most
often "neat," with a soda chaser is my preferred choice.
Since going on insulin, my consumption of hard liquors has decreased significantly.
My last bottle of Tullamore Dew lasted over 15 months, even tho shared with
friends.
For me sipping whiskies are best enjoyed with a cigar... total relaxation.
Enjoying wet shaving, again.
jr/John
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

I've been meaning to try Knob Creek the next time I visit a fancy restaurant, since reading about it in a novel. That's how I stumbled upon Famous Grouse scotch years ago. The Van Winkle Special Reserve is something I'd like to try next.
Ron
nolawis

Post by nolawis »

The Van Winkle is very hard to come by. I know the owner of the parent company (Buffalo Trace) but that by no means gives me unlimited access. It only helps me snatch a bottle every now and again and I make them last. I'm currently sitting on half a bottle of 15 year.

Nw
Fair winds and following seas.