good sipping whiskey?

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
brothers

Re: good sipping whiskey?

Post by brothers »

I got a bottle of the Double Oak. It's a very good product, in my opinion. The price is very competitive.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
pausted

Post by pausted »

Glad you like it, Gary.
Best regards,

Basil
brothers

Post by brothers »

Thank you for bringing it to my attention!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Post by brothers »

It pleases me to revive the old thread.

I recently picked up a bottle of Evan Williams 1783 small batch sour mash. I seem to recall someone who was working in a liquor store speaking negatively about that brand. I disagree. I'll buy it again, I'm pretty sure.
Gary

Bill_K

Post by Bill_K »

Yes, I know it's not whiskey, but have you tried a good rum?

A friend gave me a bottle of 12YO El Dorado and I was really impressed, so much so that I bought the 15YO thinking it would be better. It was not; I wound up paying more money for an inferior drink. Anyway, the 12YO gets rating of 7.8 on https://www.rumratings.com/brands
Bill
pausted

Post by pausted »

Jim Beam Repeal Batch....a special edition to celebrate the repeal of prohibition. It's an 86 proof, non chill filtered bourbon that they say is made the way they made it in the 30's after the repeal. It is quite good and very inexpensive...less than $15.00 where I live. I plan to lay in a supply before it goes off the market. I recommend that bourbon drinkers give it a try.
Best regards,

Basil
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

If anyone cares for rye whisky, there is one brand on the market here that is 100% rye, not a blend of other grains with just a metric smidgen of rye for the label. It's called Alberta Premium, and it is a little less smooth that the blended "rye" whiskies here like Canadian Club, Royal Reserve and Crown Royal. In fact, it's a whole lot better given it has some character (rather than simply being a whisky anyone can swallow neat and get drunk quickly like Royal Reserve. Alright, I'll say it, no matter what colour velvet bag your kind of Crown Royal comes in, it serves the same purpose.) The rest of Canada remains slightly embarrassed by Alberta, but they do make some good rye. Buy some Alberta Premium and have a sip!
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Bill_K

Post by Bill_K »

drmoss_ca wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:42 am ...The rest of Canada remains slightly embarrassed by Alberta and just how like American Republicans they are, but they do make some good rye...
Actually, more than a few of us Albertans are embarrassed by a segment of our population.

Thread content: I'm not a whiskey fan - I prefer a good sipping rum - but these two from https://righanddistillery.com/our-spirits/ (about an hour's drive north of me) do look interesting.

Edit: sorry about the link - the whiskeys are near the bottom of the page.
Bill
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Good on yer, Bill! Rum is something Maritimers should know about, but it seems The Captain rules here.
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

My youngest daughter gave me a bottle of "Straight Razor Bourbon" for Christmas. Looking forward to trying it out soon. I had not been aware of this brand before today.
Gary

drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

To make a complainant happy I have edited a couple of posts above.
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

My sons-in-law love Woodford Reserve to sip. Actually it is a bourbon

Gentleman Jack was fine and they have various 'flavors' of Jack Daniels, like Honey and Fire.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Most currently it would have to be Jefferson's whiskey.
Gary

maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

Only too happy to join Gary in resurrecting this thread...

I tend to enjoy a nightcap of bourbon whiskey and just recently finished a bottle of 1792 — very worth the $30 or so price tag. I replaced it with some bottom-shelf Evan Williams 1783, which is a bit harsher. I don’t mind.

After a recent impromptu guided scotch tasting, I also picked up a bottle of Glenmorangie 10 — single malt is mostly too rich for my blood but I could swing that. It’s just delightful, especially as the weather gets crisp.
Regards,
Mike
brothers

Post by brothers »

Oops - duplicate post.
Last edited by brothers on Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

Rum as mentioned above brings back memories concerning my late father-in-law. He was a WWII Navy enlisted sailor. He was gunner's mate on destroyers, 3 of which were sunk in the Pacific. He said he had the distinction of never getting his feet wet as he went from one boat to another. He liked his rum. Nowadays I like to sit back and enjoy a Bacardi and wish he and I could sit together under the shade tree in the yard one more time and talk as we share a few glasses.
Last edited by brothers on Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

brothers wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:59 pm Rum as mentioned above brings back memories concerning my late father-in-law. He was a WWII Navy enlisted sailor. He was gunner's mate on destroyers, 3 of which were sunk in the Pacific. He said he had the distinction of never getting his feet wet as he went from one boat to another. He liked his rum. Nowadays I like to sit back and enjoy a Bicardy and wish he and I could sit together under the shade tree in the yard one more time and talk as we share a few glasses.
I have a neighbor who is a bit more into rum than I am, so I’ve had a few different offerings with him. I’ve certainly come to appreciate that once you go beyond the most recognizable names, rum is an enormous world to explore. I had to get over a self-inflicted bad experience with Sailor Jerry in college to appreciate rum, but it was worth the effort!
Regards,
Mike
brothers

Post by brothers »

Mike, you and I must have been going to the same college! :D Those were the days! Oh, my aching head!
Gary

maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

brothers wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:03 am Mike, you and I must have been going to the same college! :D Those were the days! Oh, my aching head!
I worked all through college and frequently look back in amazement: how in the world did I manage to party all night and then get up for work early the next day? If I attempted that now, someone would have to drag me to my computer and put my hands on the keys...
Regards,
Mike
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

maskaggs wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:30 am
brothers wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:03 am Mike, you and I must have been going to the same college! :D Those were the days! Oh, my aching head!
I worked all through college and frequently look back in amazement: how in the world did I manage to party all night and then get up for work early the next day? If I attempted that now, someone would have to drag me to my computer and put my hands on the keys...
Same for me. One year I had a 3 hour advanced calculus course starting at 8.00 am Saturday morning. Despite carousing at the pub on Friday nights I made it to every lecture and actually took notes. Ah, the foolishness of youth. :mrgreen:
Bryan