good sipping whiskey?

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Squire
Squadron Leader

Re: good sipping whiskey?

Post by Squire »

For lack of a better expression, yes.
Regards,
Squire
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

It was purely because I thought this thread had taken a dark turn that I had a healthy pour of Four Roses Small Batch last night.

Purely for the thread, you see.
Regards,
Mike
Mr. Pinchy

Post by Mr. Pinchy »

Araner wrote:Scotch is ruled out! I’m speechless.

Well, not really speechless; my goodness man, you’re missing out on the best things in life.

Try a bottle of BenRiach 12 year old single malt scotch “Sherry Matured”. It’ll make the holiday season all the better.

Regards,
Mike
=D>

like starting a thread saying "can anyone recommend a great cigar, but please, no Cubans." :lol:
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I wouldn't rule Scotch out but I don't think it's at the top of the pyramid either. Most of it is very ordinary stuff that couldn't tug at the hem of the garment of Four Roses Small Batch.
Regards,
Squire
Mr. Pinchy

Post by Mr. Pinchy »

Ofcourse not, bourbon is the bees knees on a US-centric forum, who would have thought! :P
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

Bourbon is a distinctly Southern drink. I don't think it enjoys the same pedestal in most of the country. It is closely associated with Kentucky distillers. Jack Daniels, for instance, a popular "bourbon" produced in Tennessee, is actually "Tennessee whiskey." I would imagine that vodka is, by far, the most popular distilled spirit in the US.
Jim
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

Kyle76 wrote:Bourbon is a distinctly Southern drink. I don't think it enjoys the same pedestal in most of the country. It is closely associated with Kentucky distillers. Jack Daniels, for instance, a popular "bourbon" produced in Tennessee, is actually "Tennessee whiskey." I would imagine that vodka is, by far, the most popular distilled spirit in the US.
Now this is interesting. Do people actually confuse JD, or Tennessee whiskey in general, with bourbon? Perhaps it's my regional bias but I've never encountered this problem.
Regards,
Mike
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

Good question, Mike. I feel like many people view them as virtually the same, but maybe I'm wrong. I'm not from Kentucky or Tennessee.
Jim
brothers

Post by brothers »

in my experience Bourbon has a distinct flavor as opposed to whiskeys such as Jack Daniels. I prefer the whiskey as opposed to the Bourbons even though they may be the same thing. I had some rather bad experiences with bourbon in my youth.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I believe Jack Daniels is perceived as a Bourbon worldwide and I wouldn't argue the point.
Regards,
Squire
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

Squire wrote:I believe Jack Daniels is perceived as a Bourbon worldwide and I wouldn't argue the point.
That's my impression too.
Although to my taste they are different, many drinkers tend to lump them together.
Both are great for sipping, as is a good Irish.
For reasons similar to Squire's can no longer tolerate Scotch or Single Malts. A pity,
I know.
Enjoying wet shaving, again.
jr/John
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Yes, the taste is different, the excessive filtering makes for a lighter flavor profile which a lot of people apparently like because JD Black has passed Johnnie Walker Red as the largest selling whisky in the World.
Regards,
Squire
Mr. Pinchy

Post by Mr. Pinchy »

maskaggs wrote:Now this is interesting. Do people actually confuse JD, or Tennessee whiskey in general, with bourbon? Perhaps it's my regional bias but I've never encountered this problem.
perhaps that is because..
Although the product generally meets the regulatory criteria for classification as a straight bourbon, the company disavows this classification and markets it simply as Tennessee whiskey rather than as Tennessee bourbon
maybe I have no idea, but JD tastes like bourbon to me, no matter what else you want to label it as.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

JD can be legally labeled as a Bourbon. Tennessee Whisky is a marketing term created a long time back to imply a difference that doesn't really exist.
Regards,
Squire
SRD

Post by SRD »

The ONLY difference between Tennessee whiskey and bourbon is the fact that the whiskey goes through a charcoal filter process. This is not done to bourbons. it is called the Lincoln county process.
Dave
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

That's about it, though the Lincoln County process was not developed to improve the new make whisky, rather as a jump start on aging.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Good information, all.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Another tidbit, JD is owned by the Kentucky Distiller Brown-Forman who also make Old Forester and Woodford.
Regards,
Squire
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

My thirst for knowledge is leaving me thirsty for some good sippin' whiskey.
Enjoying wet shaving, again.
jr/John
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Pursue the matter avidly and you may be filled with knowledge.
Regards,
Squire