Peter O'Toole: An actor in the classic Hollywood tradition

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Kyle76

Peter O'Toole: An actor in the classic Hollywood tradition

Post by Kyle76 »

Unfortunately, his later works couldn't match films like Lawrence of Arabia, The Lion in Winter, and Becket, but he'll be greatly missed. Few could command a screen like O'Toole in his prime, and he and his pals lived as large as his characters in London in the 1960s, which must have been quite a place to be.
Jim
rsp1202

Re: Peter O'Toole: An actor in the classic Hollywood traditi

Post by rsp1202 »

Yeah, he and Burton and Reed, to name a few, really tore up old London town when they were in their prime, didn't they? Lawrence was one of the great movies and movie roles. Apparently O'Toole was concerned on how he looked during filming, and Noel Coward told him if he was any prettier they'd have to rename the movie "Florence of Arabia." A great body of work he leaves behind. A great character.
Ron
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

One of his best roles was in 'My Favorite Year'.
Regards,
Squire
Gene

Post by Gene »

Squire wrote:One of his best roles was in 'My Favorite Year'.
I think I remember that one - didn't he get caught in a ladies restroom in one scene? The lady said it was for "Ladies Only" - and he said so is this, I just have to run some water through it every now and then."

Great movie.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I'm embarrassed to admit I have never seen Lawrence of Arabia -- my wife constantly chides me for that. Haven't seen Good-bye Mr Chips all the way through either. :oops:

At least Lawrence of Arabia is on Netflix Canada --- perhaps something to watch over the Christmas holiday period.

I do get he was a phenomenal actor, and did see him in a number of cameo roles as well as a few interviews. He always presented himself as all-class. Bet he was incredible in live theatre.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Gene

Post by Gene »

Well, now that you admit that I will say - I haven't seen it all the way through either.

Guess I should.

Wasn't he in Troy, too?
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

Gene wrote: Wasn't he in Troy, too?
Tragically, yes. He played Priam.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
brothers

Post by brothers »

The dude was flat good.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

jww wrote:. . . Bet he was incredible in live theatre.
That would have been something to see.

Check him out in "The Ruling Class," a very strange movie, indeed. He plays "mad" like no other.*

*O'Toole did a TV commercial some years back, something to do with a pizza that came with cheese in the crust. Awful, but it probably bought him a house somewhere.
Ron
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

One of my favorite lines was from 'My Favorite Year' when his character (a thinly disguised Errol Flynn) was told by the protagonist (a thinly disguised young Mel Brooks) that he would have to actually act on live tv he proclaimed "I'm not an actor, I'm a movie star!".
Regards,
Squire
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

jww wrote:I'm embarrassed to admit I have never seen Lawrence of Arabia -- my wife constantly chides me for that. Haven't seen Good-bye Mr Chips all the way through either. :oops:

At least Lawrence of Arabia is on Netflix Canada --- perhaps something to watch over the Christmas holiday period.

I do get he was a phenomenal actor, and did see him in a number of cameo roles as well as a few interviews. He always presented himself as all-class. Bet he was incredible in live theatre.
Please note that by "over the Christmas holiday period" you'll be spending far more time actually watching the film than you probably think. The thing is great but boy is it looooooonnngggg.
Regards,
Mike
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Of course I forgot to credit Richard Harris as one of lads, along with O'Toole, Richard Burton and Oliver Reed, whose escapades are now legendary. This should make for a good read:

http://www.amazon.com/Hellraisers-Inebr ... 0312668147

I like the cover (in red) of the graphic version.
Ron
giammi

Post by giammi »

So, the question now is: how did he shave?
Giammi

Camminare sul filo del rasoio
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

rsp1202 wrote:Check him out in "The Ruling Class," a very strange movie, indeed. He plays "mad" like no other.
Favourite quote:

Lady Claire Gurney: How do you know you're God?

Jack Arnold Alexander Tancred Gurney, 14th Earl of Gurney: Simple. When I pray to Him, I find I am talking to myself.

Oh, Wendell, you should be ashamed of not finishing Goodbye Mr Chips. Robert Donat was much underrated, and Greer Garson was a doll.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

giammi wrote:So, the question now is: how did he shave?
Answer: sometimes not very well.
rulingclass1.jpg
rulingclass1.jpg (31.59 KiB) Viewed 2404 times
Ron
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

After health concerns curtailed his boozing an interviewer asked if he really had been inebriated while doing movies for all those years.

O'Toole's response was, "I'm not sure, it's all a bit of a fog".
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Now I remember where I saw him when he was famous. He was the lion guy in that judy garland show about a Kansas girl in a tornado with a tin man and a little dog???
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Wendell I can recommend Lawrence of Arabia. I watched a BBC program with David Lean over the making of the movie and his description of how O'Toole brought flashes of brilliance to the role.
Regards,
Squire
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

I can also recommend of The Lion in Winter. Watching Peter O'Toole and Katharine Hepburn going at it is sheer joy. It takes place at Christmas so maybe it would be a good holiday choice. Becket is also excellent with Richard Burton. "Will no one rid me of this meddlesome priest?"
Jim
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

LoA and Lion in Winter interest me as well as my wife -- she's been trying to get me to watch LoA for years .... I just haven't had the time.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?