Eastern Seaboard Weather

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
jww
Woolly Bully

Eastern Seaboard Weather

Post by jww »

Stay safe, everyone affected by this monster storm. I see Halifax shut the entire city down. Not even police on the streets during this. Another one due Sunday. Then another deep freeze to follow Tuesday by the looks of things.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
maskaggs

Re: Eastern Seaboard Weather

Post by maskaggs »

jww wrote:Stay safe, everyone affected by this monster storm. I see Halifax shut the entire city down. Not even police on the streets during this. Another one due Sunday. Then another deep freeze to follow Tuesday by the looks of things.
Yes, we're due for a dose of it. 6-12 inches predicted for Sunday. At some point next week the predicted high is 0. We stocked up on some necessities today just in case. Drive safe and let's all count our blessings that we have roofs and warm beds in the coming days.
Regards,
Mike
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

our part of Cape Cod, right at the "elbow," received 15" , as opposed to the forecast of 8-12."
We got the so called "sea effect' snowfall; it was a very light, powdery snow which contributed
to and aggravated the whiteout effect and blizzard conditions.
Parts of our little property was blown clear but snow was over the hubs of our cars.
Beach erosion was pronounced because of the high winds and incredible tides.
We were blocked in for 24 hours and lost power for only a brief time. We were able to
watch TV reports of the rescue of the scientists aboard the ship studying the effects of
climate change on polar icecaps. I drank some bourbon in between chuckles.
Wendell could have marched for miles on his snowshoes without seeing an auto or another
human being. Plenty or birds (and squirrels) at the feeders and several scrawny hungry foxes
were hunting for their next meager meal. Our cat enjoyed every minute of that scene being
played out. Then she climbed into her bed to stay warm, after filling up on her dry food.
Not only is Mother Nature unpredictable, she is anything but even-handed.
We are awaiting Her next deal of the cards.
Regards to all!
jr/John
Enjoying wet shaving, again.
jr/John
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

We're waiting for our next round this afternoon and evening, around 10". Our area already has 6-7" on the ground now. I picked up a kerosene heater and plenty of fuel yesterday on the chance we lose power; our garage is detached so the food will simply go out there if we lose the fridge and freezers.
Regards,
Mike
dosco

Post by dosco »

Got about 5 inches here in MD not far from Annapolis. Not a big deal, IMO, but the local roads (i.e. the ones in my development) were a bit messy. Feeder roads, state routes, and interstates were totally fine.

The more entertaining bit was the blast of cold air ... yesterday AM was 11F when I got up. Again not the end of the world, but certainly a cold day in these parts.
nolawis

Post by nolawis »

Brrrrrr. Temps are supposed to dip into the 50s here. That reminds me...I really need to find that jacket.

Stay warm Gents!
Fair winds and following seas.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Freezing rain, rising temps and then dropping like a stone for flash freezing Tuesday. Luckily no travel for me this week.
Wendell

function

Post by function »

Into the 20s here for long enough to kill the fleas and mosquitoes for a few months. I'll take that in exchange for a potentially frozen pipe or two. Stay warm and make french toast all of those to my North.
Nick

Give me Lavender or give me death.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

The freezing rain left thicker ice on the driveway than I expected, although City of Ottawa road crews have done an excellent job keeping the streets free of ice overnight with tons and tons of salt and de-ice treatment getting laid all over the place. We had a very brief bout of ice pellets which only lasted about 10 minutes max, but now the winds have picked up considerably. While in the car earlier this morning waiting for my wife outside a store, my SUV was rocking back and forth quite a bit.

Now for the deep freeze -- the temp peaked at it's forecasted high of +4C and now down to +2C but expected to plummet in the next 3 or 4 hours to well below freezing. Not going to be possible to do much with the accumulation of ice on the driveway with no sun out to help with the melt -- even after laying down de-icer. I know it's Canada, and I get this is Ottawa -- we choose to live here. The good news is that we get 4 proper seasons, the not-so-good-news is that the winters can be brutal at times.

Continue to stay safe everyone. No snowshoeing today -- not with all this ice and freezing going on. Dagnabbit. :cry:
Wendell

Rufus

Post by Rufus »

jww wrote:Freezing rain, rising temps and then dropping like a stone for flash freezing Tuesday. Luckily no travel for me this week.
Ditto here in the banana belt. We had wet snow most of yesterday followed by freezing rain, which has made a real mess. I went out this morning to clean off the driveway and walkways and sidewalks around the house expecting to be ahead of the flash freeze that was predicted. I was, however, 12 hours too late; the freeze had already set in and it took twice as long as it normally does and there were certain areas where I could remove very little because of the icing. The worst part was at the bottom of the driveway, as the plough had been by during the night and deposited a huge mound of frozen snow and ice the entire width of the driveway. The forecast is for the temperature to drop progressively through the day from -6C/21F currently to -19C/-3F and to stay there for the next couple of days. I know these temperatures are child's play for Wendell, but it still is cold. I like the winter and the colder temperatures, but what I don't like is the yoyoing of the temperature and the alternating between snow and freezing rain. Even though we have a good base of snow it is capped by a sheet of ice, which means I can't get out on my snowshoes and X-country skiing is hazardous. I hope you are having better luck in Ottawa, Wendell.
Bryan
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

function wrote:Into the 20s here for long enough to kill the fleas and mosquitoes for a few months. I'll take that in exchange for a potentially frozen pipe or two. Stay warm and make french toast all of those to my North.
You know, people always talk about cold weather killing insects, but harsh winter or mild winter, the mosquito population always seems about the same to me.
Jim
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Brrrrrr. Temps are supposed to dip into the 50s here
haha! woke up to 50ish temps this morning and it literally felt like a heatwave!

wishing all a safe, dry, warm, uninterrupted power week

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

p.s saw headlines about coldquakes in TO, canada??
de gustibus non est disputandum
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

fallingwickets wrote:p.s saw headlines about coldquakes in TO, canada??
That's right. They were reported locally. We didn't experience any, but we're 25 miles SW of TO. I believe they are caused by a sudden drop in temperature and the ground water expands suddenly, or something like that.
Bryan
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Kyle76 wrote:
function wrote:Into the 20s here for long enough to kill the fleas and mosquitoes for a few months. I'll take that in exchange for a potentially frozen pipe or two. Stay warm and make french toast all of those to my North.
You know, people always talk about cold weather killing insects, but harsh winter or mild winter, the mosquito population always seems about the same to me.
Ya right! :D . I think the cold weather, especially in the extreme, makes them bigger and stronger. Case in point, Winnipeg (known affectionately as Winterpeg). The winters there are brutal with temperatures regularly in the -20/-30 C//-4/-22F, but they have the biggest most aggressive Mosquitos I've ever come across. The summers there are very hot as well, adding to the problem.
Bryan
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Freezing rain began some time last night. At 0200 it was raining, and still is. It was 30°F until just a little while ago. When last I checked it was 44°F, and the snow and ice is sliding off of the roof. I have no idea how much rain we got since we take our rain gauge inside for the winter, but it was alot. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was 2" of rain. It rained hard!

Gotta go and clear off my deck. I've been waiting for this weather for what seems like a month now. It's going to be very heavy going.

Yes, it was very heavy going. I did half of the deck and got soaked through. The snow melt from the deck covering is "raining" extremely hard onto the deck itself and any fool stupid enough to put himself between the 2. I'll dry off a bit and get back to it with dry clothes. The weather is beginning to break up, so flash freezing is just hours away as we head back into the deep freeze.

edit: oh, it was 50°F when I was out there.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

Temps well above freezing for 2 days has melted all but the highest mounds of plowed snow. simply amazing!
Returns to the low F teens tonight so expect a slippery A.M. tomorrow.
Enjoying wet shaving, again.
jr/John
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

JRTASTER wrote:Temps well above freezing for 2 days has melted all but the highest mounds of plowed snow. simply amazing!
Returns to the low F teens tonight so expect a slippery A.M. tomorrow.
No such luck here. I have been able to rid about a third of our drive of most of the ice, but not near all of it. At least we can walk safely near the house. Down the last 30 ft or so not the same at all -- a treacherous skating rink that I just about kissed it on when salting and de-icing earlier this afternoon.

We are due for some sun in a couple of days, that will help even in the cold as our home faces south and gets sun most all day on the drive in the winter.

The -9 feels much colder than usual though - and that's due to the moisture in the air combined with the winds. Just another winter's day in Ottawa - we have been fortunate with little freezing rain the past few years, but so far this year we have had a couple of bouts closing down ski hills in the Gatineaus for a day here and there. Wouldn't want to be trying to groom ski runs in this -- you end up with golf-balls to ski on. I've already had an ACL reconstruction thank you very much.
Wendell

Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

It was 63 when I got up this morning. Tomorrow morning it will be 13. By the weekend, 70 or close to it. Crazy.
Jim
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

OOOkAAAAY.....ummm....50 degrees in central Maine and yet here in Tampa Florida it might go down as low as 32 tonight....very strange...
Regards,
Gordon