Endeavour

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
brothers

Endeavour

Post by brothers »

I'm watching my way through it. Can't thank you gents enough for pointing it out to me. Thursday and Morse, remarkable . . . can't get enough of the intriguing stories, performances and the characters.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ShadowsDad

Re: Endeavour

Post by ShadowsDad »

I'd love to have a hat like that, but with a brim to keep my glasses clear when it's snowing.

Maybe a bomber hat with aTilley worn over it. Wouldn't that look nice!
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
brothers

Post by brothers »

Brian, a hat like what? :D Endeavour doesn't wear one. Just teasing you, I know what you're talking about, I really wish I could have had one of those when I had to work outside in the worst weather. I probably should go ahead and get myself one anyway.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

That show led me directly to recordings of Faure's Requiem. Haunting. Beautiful. Lovely.
Regards,
Mike
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Yup -- Endeavor is as good a pre-quel as I have seen to be honest. It's great stuff. Thursday's fedora is brill.

The Tilley TW2 winter hat is a good option ... keeps the snow off of my glasses and hearing aids in the worst of winter weather.

They have such a great line of products -- not just hats, gents! Kind of like the Lexus version of LL Bean - price-wise, that is. :wink:

Endeavor -- it's all that, uhuh.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

It's very good, I don't think it would've worked so well had it not been preceded by the Morse series.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

We caught the 4th episode, season 1, and there were two instances where I was paying very close attention. First, there is an opening song sung by a female with an excellent voice and delivery, and later on, in the context of the show, this same woman was performing on stage. I have no idea who she is, but I really like her singing. If I knew who she is, I'd be able to find her music. Second, when the young Morse got shot in the leg, they stated that he'd likely end up with a permanent limp. This explains why the elder Morse does just that, even though it's almost imperceptible. I am of the opinion that it is an artificial limb, and the writers of Endeavour were creating an explanation of the slight disability exhibited by actor John Thaw through his character, the elder Morse.
Gary

jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Squire wrote:It's very good, I don't think it would've worked so well had it not been preceded by the Morse series.
Agreed.
Wendell

brothers

Post by brothers »

Yes.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

This week we discovered a new (to us) episode of Endeavour on Masterpiece Theatre.
Gary

Rufus

Post by Rufus »

brothers wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:10 pm This week we discovered a new (to us) episode of Endeavour on Masterpiece Theatre.
If it was the same one we watched last night on PBS Detroit Masterpiece, it was excellent, but the goriest Endeavour we’ve seen. I must add that we’ve yet to see an Endeavour we haven’t liked.
Bryan
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

brothers wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:19 am Second, when the young Morse got shot in the leg, they stated that he'd likely end up with a permanent limp. This explains why the elder Morse does just that, even though it's almost imperceptible. I am of the opinion that it is an artificial limb, and the writers of Endeavour were creating an explanation of the slight disability exhibited by actor John Thaw through his character, the elder Morse.
Well-spotted - it is just like the gait of an artificial leg, but the bio at IMDB says:
Broke his foot in his teens when he tripped while running for a school bus. This left him with a slight limp that is noticeable in some scenes of the Inspector Morse series.
If that's true, I can think of one easy connection; a below-knee plaster cast applied too tightly or not split when the leg swelled would compress the peroneal nerve where it winds around the fibula, and the result is a foot drop (and these days, a law suit). The foot drop means that on lifting the leg to take a step the knee has to be lifted higher to clear the dangling forefoot of obstacles, and then the foot is slapped down. You see something similar in people with diabetic or alcoholic peripheral neuropathy (another potential explanation as Thaw was an alcoholic for much of his life) or posterior column damage in the spinal cord, as used to be common from tabes dorsalis.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

We've learned that the current season is indeed a new one (season 5) and they've already started season 6 for 2019 release.
Gary

Rufus

Post by Rufus »

brothers wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:22 am We've learned that the current season is indeed a new one (season 5) and they've already started season 6 for 2019 release.
That makes my day. =D>
Bryan
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Rufus wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:26 am
brothers wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:22 am We've learned that the current season is indeed a new one (season 5) and they've already started season 6 for 2019 release.
That makes my day. =D>
Mine too!
Wendell

Rufus

Post by Rufus »

jww wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:36 am
Rufus wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:26 am
That makes my day. =D>
Mine too!
Wendell, great to hear from you; it’s been awhile.
Bryan
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Rufus wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:27 am Wendell, great to hear from you; it’s been awhile.
Thanks Bryan -- nice to be posting. Not sure how much time I'll get here as I am between consulting gigs at the moment. I seem to get focused so much when I am with clients that I just don't have it in me to check SMF regularly.
Wendell

Rufus

Post by Rufus »

jww wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:55 am
Rufus wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:27 am Wendell, great to hear from you; it’s been awhile.
Thanks Bryan -- nice to be posting. Not sure how much time I'll get here as I am between consulting gigs at the moment. I seem to get focused so much when I am with clients that I just don't have it in me to check SMF regularly.
I’m glad to hear that all is well and that your flow of consulting work is keeping you more than occupied. For a while I thought you might have come a cropper riding your bike on The Ottawa River Parkway one Sunday morning, so putting you out of action. :roll:
Bryan
brothers

Post by brothers »

Hi Wendell. Its always good to see you here.
Gary

jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Thanks for the warm welcome back, gents!
Wendell