The Method Shower

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Ouchmychin

The Method Shower

Post by Ouchmychin »

I posted in the SMF University forum that I was going to describe in detail my showering procedure which is remarkably similar to Method Shaving. Here it is:

Materials:
1. A nice towel hung near the shower (tub).
2. A large terry cloth washcloth (I use white janitors rags about 13X16 hemmed).
3. Shampoo.
4. Conditioner.
5. A bath sized bar of soap.

Preliminaries:
Hang the washcloth above the spray line within reach.
Put a shower rug near the shower.
Turn on the shower and adjust the temperature.
Get in.

Showering:
Wet yourself all over. Apply shampoo and rub in. Rinse and repeat.
Grab the dry washcloth and wipe your eyes and forehead so no water runs into your eyes.
Apply conditioner and rub in--keep head out of the spray.
Wet the washcloth and rub its surface with the soap. Hold the washcloth so that one side is spread along your hand and forearm. Rub several times on one end and then move the cloth so that you can proceed along its entire strip.
Move the washcloth on your hand/forearm so the next unrubbed strip is in position and rub it thoroughly.
Repeat until the entire surface has a good buildup of soap. Return the soap and rub two sides of the washcloth together to build up lather. Procede until all sides are rubbed and lather is heavy.
Wash your face, neck and ears with the washcloth. Rinse off the conditioner and soap, keeping the washcloth out of the spray.
Now proceed to wash your entire body from neck to ankle in the front and your legs all the way around. Throw the washcloth over a shoulder and grab it and wash your back down to your bottom. Wash your bottom thoroughly and then your feet, being sure to get between your toes.
Rinse your washcloth 15 times squeezing as much water as possible each time. Set the washcloth aside.
Rinse your entire body very thoroughly.
Turn off the shower. Now roll the washcloth into a tube so that you can twist it to remove as much water as possible.
Wipe all indterior surfaces of the shower to remove all water drops, repeating the roll/twist squeeze whenever the cloth gets too wet to be effective.
Toss the washcloth across the bathroom into the wash basin to be used when shaving.
Towel dry, step out and proceed with shaving and dressing as you prefer.

That is it. Pedantic but effective. And cleaning up the shower makes the wife happy too.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
JRTASTER

Re: The Method Shower

Post by JRTASTER »

Pete,
Don't think I've ever read a more detailed and complete recitation of the showering process.
My wife would likewise appreciate the clean-up routine. She objects to all my shave gear
hogging space but is impressed by my meticulous efforts to tidy up the sink and vanity area
after my shaves.... I even impress myself in that regard!
Enjoying wet shaving, again.
jr/John
brothers

Post by brothers »

Pete, you've established a new standard now. Only you and apparently the method shaving gent have the advanced analytical acumen to describe the processes so clearly that even non-showering and non-shaving aliens could do it if they have the proper equipment and related elements at hand. Bravo! :)
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

ditto on sentiments expressed :D

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

I think rinsing the washcloth 15 times may be a little excessive. Wouldn't an even dozen do just as well? What factors led you to conclude that 15 is the magic number?
Jim
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I agree, I thought the Method method was about even numbers.
Regards,
Squire
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

In case you are considering instructional videos, I would suggest that you suppress that thought immediately. I am already finding myself imagining this in my mind. [-X
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I came up with 15 squeezes one time when I was using a colored wash (Hibicleans, I think) in the wash basin. To my surprise 10 squeezes did not rinse out all the pink color. It took 15 to get it done. Since then I have checked the suds left many times while rinsing and I believe 15 is the Minimum. I have had to use 18 or even 20 to get out every trace of lather or soapiness in shower after shaving.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

What we will do in the name of Science.
Regards,
Squire
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I imagine some obscure school somewhere has funded research for this kind of stuff.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Located in Austin or so I heard.
Regards,
Squire
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Squire wrote:Located in Austin or so I heard.
Possibly, but I would have thought it would more likely be the crowd in College Station :mrgreen:
Bryan
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

If they want to enlist an observer to see if the fair sex, in the person of a 20 yr old perky
brunette, has a different showering protocol, I too will sacrifice myself for scientific progress.
Just a thought!
Enjoying wet shaving, again.
jr/John
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Umm, that position has already been filled.
Regards,
Squire
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

Yes, but don't we need Special Magic Words for stuff like

towel = hygroscopic wicking sheet
shower = dihydrogen monoxide dispersal system
tub = reusable dihydrogen monoxide immersion chamber
washcloth = Fibe-O-Rub™ vegetal friction square
shampoo = dipole keratin surfactant
conditioner = polymer crosslink creme
soap = the Method Cake®

and so on?

EDIT: PS Actually, now that the washcloth has become the Hydrolast Shave Cloth, shouldn't we be replacing it entirely, perhaps with a decent badger Method Shower Brush?
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis
Jbbmad2

Post by Jbbmad2 »

I don't have much of an issue with the whole "method showering" except the use of the washcloth after the cleansing of the bottom. Pretty sure the boys in College Station would too!
Bruce
Proverbs 3:5-6
Gig'em!
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I expect those Engineering grad students would come up with something original.
Regards,
Squire
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

Better than getting athletes bottom after washing ones feet.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I really didn't want to get into the nitty gritty of this. Here is what I do. If there are brown stains after washing ones bottom. I just rub the washcloth together and the lather dissolves them. Then wash the feet and rinse the washcloth 15 times. Then me. By the time I wipe all water from tub and mat and walls, I have saturated the washcloth thoroughly many times and wrung it out. After I toss it to the shave station (sink) I rinse it again 15 times before using it to shave. It may not be sterile but it is clean. After the shave I use it to rinse the last of the lather off, rinse it out again 15 times and repeat. I usually repeat for a 3rd rinse, then towel off. Hope this helps.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
Jbbmad2

Post by Jbbmad2 »

Pete I think you should put it in the plastic pyramid for sanitation before the shave. Just sayin'.
Bruce
Proverbs 3:5-6
Gig'em!