Regarding water temperature and showers.

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Zemlya

Regarding water temperature and showers.

Post by Zemlya »

Hey guys,

So I thought I would share with you something that for me has been completely game changing in the health and look of my skin. I used to get dry skin and I've been though dozens (if not hundreds) of different soaps, moisturizers, etc.

The number one thing that improved the look and feel (much softer) of my skin was *drum roll*..................lukewarm to cool showers.

I'm not talking about "cold" showers that are all the rage (and the supposed psychological and health benefits). Just warm enough to be tolerable (not necessarily comfortable). I used to take really hot baths and hot showers and since stopping it's been a revelation.

Anybody else do this?
CMur12

Re: Regarding water temperature and showers.

Post by CMur12 »

Hi Zemlya -

It makes sense, though it is hard to give up the hot shower!

I turn down the hot water when I wash my hair and face, but it has occurred to me that I should leave it so (and apparently cooler still) for the whole shower. I, too, have heard that hot water dries the skin. I'm amazed, however, that it makes as big a difference as you have experienced.

Thanks for sharing this bit of wisdom with us.

- Murray
Zemlya

Post by Zemlya »

CMur12 wrote:Hi Zemlya -

It makes sense, though it is hard to give up the hot shower!

I turn down the hot water when I wash my hair and face, but it has occurred to me that I should leave it so (and apparently cooler still) for the whole shower. I, too, have heard that hot water dries the skin. I'm amazed, however, that it makes as big a difference as you have experienced.

Thanks for sharing this bit of wisdom with us.

- Murray
I had problem skin as a younger person, and I was always putting products on my face, using acids, creams and astringents to help with my acne/blotchy complexion. The day I stopped everything, and began just rinsing my face with water, was the last time I remember having "bad" skin. My acne cleared right up and I've never had an issue since.

The cooler showers though have improved my complexion even more. However, what I really notice is the lack of dry skin. My skin feels smoother and I'm not longer itchy on my back.
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

Not that physicians are always right but months ago, after suffering from a prolonged bout of
intensely itchy skin, a dermatologist suggested that I take cooler showers; apparently the
warmer the water, the more irritated the nerve endings.
She was dead-on, for sure. Recently we added a whole house humidifier, which works via the
forced hot air system, and that seems to have helped tons!
A comedian (can't remember who) used to joke he regularly took totally ice cold showers...
adding only enough hot water to make it bearable. Well, it seemed funny at the time!
Enjoying wet shaving, again.
jr/John
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Well, I never . . .
Regards,
Squire
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

For a few years now we've had our tankless water heater set to 104°F in the winter and in the warm months I set it to 96°F for my showers.

Frankly, I never liked the feeling of showering, getting out, drying off and sweating. It just seemed counterproductive to me. After many hot showers I followed it with a cold shower to cool off.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
brothers

Post by brothers »

I need warm water, just not too hot or too cold. What's that mean? Beats me, I just know what I like!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

A modified "Scottish" shower, here. Some days it's really difficult. I suppose it came from this:
http://www.artofmanliness.com/2010/01/1 ... -vitality/
Ron
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

My body recoils at the suggestion of a cold shower.
Regards,
Squire
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Squire wrote:My body recoils at the suggestion of a cold shower.

Mine too. At boarding school we had to have a cold shower as soon as we got up every morning, summer, autumn, winter and spring. The showers were supervised to ensure they were as cold as possible and that we got fully under the water stream. I've had enough cold showers for my whole life. :twisted:
Bryan
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

That's child abuse.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

I bet the sob ordering the ice cold showers didn't do it or make his wife and kids do it at home. This was a sick A******. Please tell me someone punched him in the face???? You can probably tell this made me angry.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I don't believe what Rufus is describing was intended as any sort of punishment, rather it was a common practice.
Regards,
Squire
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

This talk of cold showers reminds me of "The Cremation of Sam McGee."
Jim
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Squire wrote:I don't believe what Rufus is describing was intended as any sort of punishment, rather it was a common practice.
You 're correct Squire it was common practice and in no way did any of us regard it as child abuse and I don't regard it as such to this day. Another thing that shocks some people today is that caning was common practice in schools I attended, both primary and secondary. I can say that in my 13 years of school I never thought of this as abuse nor did I ever think I was caned unjustly; however, I'm not so naive to believe that it wasn't abused by some masters at some other schools, but this was not my experience at the 2 schools I attended. In fact we found that the cold showers and occasional canings stood us in very good stead when we did our compulsory basic training in the army, in that both taught us to deal with discomfort and physical stress, which there was a lot of when we were on manoeuvres in the bush, running obstacle courses and learning survival skills.
Bryan
brothers

Post by brothers »

Squire wrote:I don't believe what Rufus is describing was intended as any sort of punishment, rather it was a common practice.
Common practice was my understanding also. That's why I observed that the cowardly b****** didn't dare make his own family do it because they'd have shot him or worse.
Gary

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Kyle76 wrote:This talk of cold showers reminds me of "The Cremation of Sam McGee."
Yep, makes your blood run cold.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Why he left his home in the South to roam 'round the Pole, God only knows. I could've easily been Sam McGee. Pneumonia is no fun.
Gary

rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Like I said, some days it's difficult. Especially in winter. But . . . I often go out right after showering, so the cold water's closing of pores I believe has helped keep me from suffering more colds and flu. At least it hasn't hurt. I caught pneumonia a couple years ago, but was taking hot showers and staying in back then.
Ron
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Can't argue with success Ron.
Regards,
Squire