BUNDLED CIGARS SUGGESTIONS

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
JRTASTER

BUNDLED CIGARS SUGGESTIONS

Post by JRTASTER »

Perhaps a few of you still enjoy a cigar, or two, from time to time. Never a cigarette smoker, pipes and cigars, however, were for me
relaxing, if not particularly healthy, indulgences.
When we moved, most of my pipes managed to lose themselves; a search for them continues and will surely uncover in which mis-marked
box(es) they are hiding. My wife decided my (empty) cigar humidors were too fragile for the move and donated them to my appreciative
brother-in-law, who had long coveted them. Ah, well, spilt milk.
To the point, I am not currently in a position to re-invest in a humidor or two which would do justice to more expensive sticks, I have been
considering buying a few bundles of reasonably priced cigars, good enough to enjoy smoking but not so expensive as to generate "guilt."
So what can you gentlemen recommend in highly "smokeable" but reasonably priced bundled cigars? My preference is for Nicaraguan tobacco
and Corona-sized sticks, moderate to strong smokes, but have surely enjoyed other types1
Some specific brands, sizes, on-line sources and price points would be really terrific. Any help here??
Thanks for your suggestions!
Enjoying wet shaving, again.
jr/John
brothers

Re: BUNDLED CIGARS SUGGESTIONS

Post by brothers »

JR, there was a time when I enjoyed Nat Sherman's cigars. It's still in business, although Nat's been gone for quite a while. I found several of his cigars that I really liked. He's located in NYC. I googled and it popped right up.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

I would think you have to check these guys out:

http://www.jrcigars.com/jr/index.cfm

Their samplers can be real bargains.
Jim
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

jrcigars.com in North Carolina or mikescigars.com in Miami. Selections are broad and prices are low because both companies are privately owned and run by the philosophy of customer first.

JR got his start years ago at his father's small tobacco shop in Manhattan when he got the bright idea of selling cigars direct through mail order. He says their board of directors meetings are impromptu affairs around the dinner table usually beginning with his wife saying, "I have an idea". Their first special was written on a bed sheet and hung in the shop window (her idea).

Some 20 odd years ago when Ernesto's cigars became a cult favorite because of an article in the then new magazine Cigar Aficionado, I called Mike's to ask if they had any in stock and they were out because of "that damn article". I asked for something similar and Mike got on the phone saying "I'll send something you will like" and he did at a good price. When he retired on his way out the door his nephew asked,"Any words of wisdom"? Mike said "Yeah, don't change a damn thing".
Regards,
Squire
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

Many thanks for the responses. Yes, JRCigars is a must. I was lucky to live within 20-30 minutes of their huge store in NJ, which had a perfume store. a general
merchandise section, a huge walk-in humidor cigar emporium and a smallish café, where you could grab a snack, enjoy a drink or bottomless cup of coffee AND
smoke your cigar or pipe with no Big Brother to intrude on your enjoyment.
Because of the weird tax situation in NJ it was more expensive to buy your cigars and pipe tobacco in that store versus ordering from JR's online store but many made
"courtesy" purchases there just to show support for the B&M business. My in-laws now live near to JR's store in Cary, NC and we have visited it many times.
Squire, your reference to Mike's intrigued me. Many years ago I chatted with a "Mike" who ran a bare bones on-line cigar business. Mike was quite a character, Vietnam-era Army veteran, with a colorful background and a million stories. He moved his business to somewhere around the metro-DC area; unfortunately lost touch with him
soon after 9/11.
Wondering if he's the same "Mike," to whom you referred, whose business now appears to be centered in FLA? If not, a curious coincidence!
Anyone here familiar with the bundle cigars offered by Famous Cigars in PA??
Keep the suggestions coming.

P.S. Gary, yes I've been in both iterations of Nat Sherman in NYC; very clubby and nice cigars, especially the Metropolitans, but a bit pricey for my current needs/budget!
jr/John
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Different Mikes but your guy sounds like someone I could do business with.
Regards,
Squire
bflotom2

Post by bflotom2 »

Last time I checked PA doesn't tack on a “ being naughty” tax on their cigars when shipped. Consider Cigars International from Bethlehem PA
Regards,
Tom
function

Post by function »

bflotom2 wrote:Last time I checked PA doesn't tack on a “ being naughty” tax on their cigars when shipped. Consider Cigars International from Bethlehem PA
Had great expereinces with CI. They were my go to even when I liven in PA.

Looking for Nicaraguan tobacco, I would suggest Padron, Oliva and anything from J Drew/Drew Estates. Yeah Drew likes to go the flavored route, but he still makes some fine smokes.
Nick

Give me Lavender or give me death.
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

Thanks for the input. First purchase was of some bundles of JR Cigars "Alternatives," which just
arrived yesterday. Smoked the first, a knockoff of an Excalibur III, which has potential, but was
still a bit wet ROTT (Right Off the Truck).
Continue to monitor Cigar Int'l, Mike's Cigars, JR"s, and Famous smoke Shop for other "cheap" cigars.
Trying to avoid re-investing in a new humidorand the $100 or so in the other accessories (lighter,
cutter, humidifier, hygrometer, etc.) to support my return to The Weed.
Remind you of any other hobby/obsession/activity??
Appreciate your suggestions!!
jr/John
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Um, yes, that is does. A note of caution however, JR alternatives are just that, alternatives and not designed to actually taste like the brand to which they are compared.
Regards,
Squire