Andrò a Roma

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
maskaggs

Andrò a Roma

Post by maskaggs »

ND is (very generously) sending me to Rome in June to participate in a seminar on Catholic history. While the schedule is very busy, there'll be time for leisure, as well. For anyone who's gone before - any must-see sites? Any tourist-trap sites to absolutely avoid? Recommended ristoranti? Recommended enoteche? Anything I should absolutely know before leaving?
Regards,
Mike
gsgo

Re: Andrò a Roma

Post by gsgo »

Rome is a terrific city, depending on your time there are so many sites to visit and see - The Forum, Collesium, Vatican, Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, Pantheon - you may want to consider some sort of hop on hop off tour around the city just to get in a few of the sites, if you can spare a couple of days you can stroll around at your own pace. We last spent five days and saw it all with a nice pace and time to enjoy the city.

My favorite was the Pantheon, we went twice, once during the day and then one evening after service, the night lighting was very beautiful and feeling inside was quite spectacular.

Great food is available everywhere, stay away from tourist restaurants and try and find the smaller more local places, Romans are helpful and proud of their city, we had no problem getting directions or tips from locals. When it comes to eating go Italian every day for every meal, just seems to add to the experience. Stop for a stand up espresso when you get a bit tired, tables at most cafe's will come with an extra charge so just stand up and enjoy your shot like every one else.

Have a great trip!
Good shaving,

Gary
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Ah Rome, the Eternal City. It and London are SWMBO's and my favourite cities. We've visited Rome 4 times and look forward to many more visits. I'd add the following to Gary's list:

Borghese Gallery
National Museum of Rome
Palatine Hill
Ara Pacis
Catacombs - I'd recommend the Priscilla Catacombs over the San Callisto and San Sebastiano Catacombs, as there are fewer tourists.
Baths of Diocletian
Arch of Constantine
Trastevere - it's across the Tiber River and is the medieval-village Rome
Jewish Ghetto
Ancient Apian Way
Ostia Antica - the old port of Rome founded in the 4th century B.C. at the mouth of the Tiber

This is just the tip of the iceberg, as there are so many interesting things to do and sites to see in and around Rome. To help you to decide I strongly recommend you buy Rick Steve's Rome, either the long version of 515 pages or the pocket version. Whenever possible we use Rick Steve's travel guides not just for sites, but also for restaurants, hotels and local guides.

Enjoy your trip.
Bryan
Ken

Post by Ken »

If you like churches, I would recommend Sant'Andrea al Quirinale (designed by Bernini) and San Carlo alle Quattro Fontane (designed by Borromini), both on the Quirinale Hill within a block of each other. Also San Clemente, with a 12th century church built on top of a 4th century church built on top of Roman buildings. You walk down and back into history.

If you have time, I strongly second the recommendation of Ostia Antica, but it will take more than half a day. You don't have to go to Pompei or Herculaneum to see the remains of an ancient Roman city. Trajan's Market, an ancient Roman shopping center, is fascinating. Just for a sense of history, I would go up the Palatine Hill and to the Forum.

There are two books I would recommend. One is An Architect's Rome by John McGuire, Jr. It is a personal and perceptive look at the city. It is out-of-print, I believe, but you can find new copies on Amazon for as low as $16. Also, City Secrets Rome (edited by Robert Kahn), which contains personal recommendations and comments by architects, poets, artists, etc.

Ken
dosco

Post by dosco »

Outstanding!

Presumably you'll be in Vatican City for the seminar? You might want to take advantage of that, if possible.

Regardless, one of my favorite memories of Rome was a trip to the Cupola of St. Peter's (the "balcony" on the top of the dome of St. Peter's basilica) ... pay a little bit at the store in the Sistine Chapel and prepare for an interesting adventure!

The Coliseum was fascinating, definitely shell out the few euro to walk around that place ... so much like a modern stadium it is amazing.

Yes, eat Italian every day. I only visited Rome for 1 day but I spent a month in Italy (courtesy of the USAF) and I never had a bad meal.

Enjoy your trip!

-Dave
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

Please keep the ideas coming. My wife and I are planning a 40th wedding anniversary trip to Rome next year. What neighborhood do we want to stay in?
Jim
giammi

Post by giammi »

Here a listing I made years ago for a American friend

Colosseum, monument to Vittorio Emanuele II (altare della patria - grave
unknown soldier), Castel Sant'Angelo, St. Peter's Basilica and Sistine
Chapel, Roman Forum, Circus Maximus, Fontana di Trevi (fountain of la
dolce vita movie), if you are catholic then make the stairs of San
Giovanni Laterano, Arco di Constantino, Pantheon, Villa Borghese, Piazza
di Spagna, Catacombs (little bit outside), Domus Aurea (where Nero
lived) and Arch of Constantino (both near Coloseum), Terme di Caracalla
(Baths and Opera), the Moses of Michelangelo, Bocca della Verità (famous for the
movie of Gregory Peck "Roman Holiday")

Hidden gems one hour out of Rome Tuscania and Tarquinia

http://www.romeartlover.it/Tuscania.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuscania
http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/1158
Giammi

Camminare sul filo del rasoio
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

Oh man! All this talk of Rome has brought back a fun memory.

The list of great places of worship has brought back a funny memory of our visit to Rome. While we were visiting one of the many churches we first noticed a black car and driver as we walked up to the door, upon entering we were told of a prayer service taking place and that we were welcome but to be quiet and respectful. As we walked in I noticed a Cardinal dressed in red and white robes was in attendance sitting in the front row over to one side and a Pastor sitting quite close by, was quite a site until the Pastor reached under his robe and pulled out a cell phone, tapped the Cardinal on his shoulder and then handed him the phone. After a brief pause he passed the phone back, finished his prayer, quickly arose and departed. We had a quick chuckle about the whole thing as it seemed so, how should we say, modern.
Good shaving,

Gary
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

Funny story, Gary. Do you think they'll replace the papal smoke signals with Twitter next time?
Jim
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

All great, great responses, guys. Thanks especially to Giammi - your list will come in handy!

Dave, the seminar isn't in the Vatican. ND purchased a large building around the corner from the Colosseum. The "Rome campus" is where we do this sort of thing, apparently. Our lodgings, arranged through AirBnB, are in the Testaccio neighborhood, within walking distance.
Regards,
Mike
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

It's been a while since I posted anything - school has been extremely busy and then I was off to Rome. I'm here till Friday. Suffice it to say our seminar has had a wonderful time.

Just a quick highlight: at the end of Mass on Pentecost at the Pantheon, Roman firefighters throw tens of thousands of rose petals through the oculus (symbolizing the descent of tongues of fire upon the apostles). Take whatever the safe capacity of the Pantheon is and multiply it by three - that many people are there. It's absolutely amazing.
Attachments
IMG_20140608_120345.jpg
IMG_20140608_120345.jpg (111.41 KiB) Viewed 3312 times
Regards,
Mike
brothers

Post by brothers »

Sounds like a very meaningful and memorable experience. I appreciate the photo and the description.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

Beautiful, Mike. I can only imagine what it's like to be there.
Jim
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

That's incredible Mike, thanks for sharing.
Regards,
Squire