"KIK" MESSAGING:

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
JRTASTER

"KIK" MESSAGING:

Post by JRTASTER »

Anyone here familiar with KIK Messaging?
Apparently it's the only way I'm going to be able to communicate with my
teen grandson in FL. He's using it exclusively in lieu of e-mail and other messaging alternatives.
Supposedly it does work with android phones and tablets and I can't load it directly to my aging PC.
Since I'm FINALLY going to yield and purchase a Smart Phone in the near future, I'm trying to
figure out if KIK is also compatible with the Apple I-Phones. Specific info on this is sparse, so I'm
wondering if anyone here can help me figure out KIK Messaging/I-Phone compatibility.
Any advice for this Smart Phone total novice and technically-ignorant newbie??
Thanks as usual for your help!
JR
Enjoying wet shaving, again.
jr/John
Jupiter

Re: "KIK" MESSAGING:

Post by Jupiter »

My daughter uses Kik alot with her school friends on her iPod Touch, and...the app is also available for the iPhone. I think it operates a lot like texting. You would need to be in Wifi or have data to use it.
Hope this helps,
Regards,
Mike
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

Mike,
Thanks for your input!
yes, it's a messaging tool, as you said, akin to texting
grandson is getting a new SmartPhone for middle-school graduation in the next
few weeks. maybe I will wait to see which one he buys and then get a similar device
to ensure we remain compatible. I forget which tablet he's currently using.
Have Wi-Fi access via Optimum Cable and will buy a data package for those times
when not n a Wi-Fi hot spot.
jr/John
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

Apple has KIK apps, and I would guess everyone else does too. I wouldn't imagine you would have to be too selective in your smartphone choice.
Jim
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

although my mind is open, the I-Phone currently has my interest
jr/John
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

As far as I know, it would be a tougher task to seek out a smartphone that wouldn't be able to run Kik messenger.

The main thing to bear in mind, though, is that third party messaging apps like Kik, Whatsapp et al use your data plan (or wi-fi) to send and receive messages, rather than your minutes/messages plan. This is worth mentioning because most cell providers are now in the mode of providing unlimited messaging and voice calls, and trying to get their money from the data plans.
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
Mr. Pinchy

Post by Mr. Pinchy »

Tell your grandson to stick it you know where

fancy telling someone "x" is the only way im going to communicate!

what's wrong with kids these days?

if my grandfather said, can we communicate by email? Id say sure gramps, ill set up an email account so we can catch up.
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

Mr Pinchy
LOL, he uses Kik to communicate with ALL his friends, don't you know! And we certainly appreciate that.
Plus, I believe, there is a visual Skype-like availability with Kik which is just terrific for him and to us as
well.
All in all, not an inconvenience for us and an advantage to him. And he is a very non-demanding little
guy, totally unlike many other young adults of his generation. Our upgrading to a Smart Phone is actually
part of our Middle School graduation gift to/for him and a possible bonus to us. How could we go wrong?
Thanks to all for the helpful and thoughtful input from you guys... really nice of the Community!
John
jr/John