Back to Jolly 'Ole

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
ichabod
Mackem

Re: Back to Jolly 'Ole

Post by ichabod »

We're heading back to the homeland this summer as well. We've decided to go via Iceland this time, to spend a little time on black beaches and in hot springs.

Depending on how the fixture list works out, I think we managed to time the trip to be able to take in a Premier League match (maybe even a Sunderland one, now that Gus pulled off The Miracle).

As to flying etc. I used to really enjoy the entire thing, but the security lines and the way airlines have cut back so much has made the experience so much less fun. I think I'd still prefer it to a week on the Atlantic without sight of land though - I get nervous when I can't touch the bottom in a swimming pool :mrgreen:
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Well -- this only has been possible as my wife took on her election role, which only comes up once every 3-5 years. The job only lasts the duration of the election period -- about 6 weeks -- otherwise, we sit and dream.

This year was simply meant to be -- we got a very good rate on flights (even if we fly through Paris Charles de Gaul going and Schiphol coming home), we are with family and friends for a few days, and the cottage we have rented in Staithes, Yorkshire is less expensive that time of year than our digs are in Maine --- so it's really about car rental, petrol and flight. The petrol is going to be brutal -- but we have a compact so the impact will be minimized. Food --well, with the prices of Red Leicester, we'll be living off cheese on toast, pasties from Greggs and chippies --- more or less .... And I plan to get in a Ploughman's lunch while we are there. I can't be in Yorkshire without a Ploughman's. It goes hand-in-hand with MWF - no link needed for that on this forum ..... :D
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

ichabod wrote:...
As to flying etc. I used to really enjoy the entire thing, but the security lines and the way airlines have cut back so much has made the experience so much less fun. I think I'd still prefer it to a week on the Atlantic without sight of land though - I get nervous when I can't touch the bottom in a swimming pool :mrgreen:
Indeed ....... :lol:
Wendell

Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Wendell (aka Alex) you mentioned the price of petrol in England, rent a diesel. That's what we do, usually a VW Golf TDI, and it's marvellous being about 30% cheaper and today's diesels are a far cry from those of yesteryear. If I buy another car for myself it will probably be a diesel.

As concerns a week on the Atlantic out of sight of land, when we sailed the QM II Southampton to NYC, I found it quite serene and strangely invigorating.
Bryan
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

Wow, loved reading this thread. And much envy for those going to the U.K. a favorite
destination.
Lived in London for nearly two years and spent lots of weekends and more hiking (or
walking as the Brits would say) in the Lake District. Magnificent!
Before and after that stint, wife and I, and once our daughter, returned for "walking
holidays," in the Lake District, and West Yorkshire and Devon arranged through an
organization called Holiday Fellowship, or to some called "Husbands Found."
Non-luxury country houses, offering breakfast and dinners and "trail lunches" and
several organized walks each day.
And free to visit the local pubs on the walks and on our own most evenings. Great,
relatively inexpensive way to enjoy the scenery and meet Brits informally.
And, of course, London on both ends of the trip...just perfect!
Wendell, Gordon and others... have safe and pleasant journeys! Feel my envy!!
(No envy for the airline travel, though... just horrible these days!!!)
Enjoying wet shaving, again.
jr/John
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Bryan, we have requested a diesel, but the service we run through can't guarantee it. We use AutoEurope and they don't have a way to actually request diesel. With luck of the draw we have had diesels and yes, they work perfectly and yes, would own a diesel in a heartbeat if only we had a decent selection of them over here. With only VWs, Audis, Bimmers and Merc diesels being readily available in North America, choice is lacking. Love the Peugeot diesels. Quiet, peppy, and that great low torque response of the oil burner.
Wendell

bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Wendell, Thank you for the information regarding the Nexus card. I suppose you are right in that we don't travel much by air so it would probably not be worth it. I am planning on a day trip to one of the 'stately homes' in the country while we are in London but I haven't really looked into the possibilities yet. It will have to be one that's not too far from town as I'm not into getting up at the crack of dawn and racing off anywhere. My wife would do that but I won't. Any suggestions?
Regards,
Gordon
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Well Gordon, there are a few that immediately come to mind. The good Dr Moss might have a more exhaustive list to add to what I have proposed below, which is not by any means meant to be exhaustive.
  • Highclere Castle -- the home of Downton Abbey located near Newbury in Berkshire (pronounce bark-sher). It may be a bit far out for you, but well worth the visit I am told. Funny --- Downton Abbey takes place in Yorkshire, yet Highclere is only just over an hour away from London .... go figure.
  • Hampton Court Palace -- still inside the M25, about 40 minutes from the centre of London. Fascinating place that I have never been able to get to. The history of this palace is quite interesting.
  • Windsor Castle -- to me Windsor is the ultimate stately home experience. Again -- I have never been personally, but it has such a lush history and has provided some great stories -- even in recent years. The estate itself fascinates me. Only 45 minutes or so from central London -- again in Berkshire. The nice thing about Windsor is that it's easily accessible by train if you are without car or don't want to fight the London and environs traffic.
Here is a site I stumbled upon recently --- http://www.visitlondon.com/things-to-do ... ric-houses. You'll find a decent mix of offerings to consider within London. I think if I were touring any of these, Sutton House, the William Morris Gallery and Ham House would top my list.

My wife is giddy as a school girl every time we talk about this trip .... one that we have always wanted to do -- just ourselves on our own to do whatever we please. Rambling in and around North Yorkshire is what has most of our attention now -- even though we have a couple of weeks late in the summer at our beloved beach in Ocean Park, Maine two months before our UK trip.
Wendell

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Gordon there's little we can do to allay the vicissitudes of airports but I've discovered the folks in the lounge will inform you when it's time to implane.
Regards,
Squire
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Wendell, Thanks again. There is little doubt that we will dip over to Windsor Castle, but that is, of course, a Royal residence. I was thinking maybe Knowles? I don't know for sure how far out of town that is. Chatsworth and Castle Howard would definitely be on the 'probable' list if they weren't so far away. Sooo...I dunno. I'll look into it further when it gets closer to the departure date.
Regards,
Gordon
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Knole is a very interesting site for sure -- only about an hour and 15 minutes by bus south from central London -- so very commutable depending on where you are staying. I think I'd put priority on that. I would definitely consider Highclere if you could pack an overnight stay into your plans. About 3 hours by train but only just over an hour and a half by car (apologies on my initial erroneous travel times which I included in my previous post). :oops:

You may enjoy Petworth House as well --- sorry, another 90 minute drive. :cry:

Now -- here is one that may interest you --- Hatfield House. It's just under an hour commute from The City - plenty of lore and history -- and if you have seen any of the movies it has been featured in (The King's Speach, and others), then you might find it a worthwhile trip.

If you were game for a train to Oxford, then I'd recommend Blenheim Palace. This is one we have never actually gotten into, but have wanted to since we first went to Oxford back in 2003. If we ever again find ourselves down in the Costwolds or around Stratford-upon-Avon, this would definitely be a key spot of interest. About an hour and a half by train - and doable in a day. Mind you, when you get to Oxford, there is so much for the eye in and around the city centre, that you'd be quite distracted and tempted to stay in and around the colleges. I love taking my own personally guided Morse tours (which now extend to Endeavor and Lewis tours, btw :wink:). We aren't going this time --- maybe another trip if we are fortunate to get back after this one.

Besides all this -- if you can spare a day or even two, The British Museum is worth spending time in. It houses some of the best antiquities anywhere in the free world -- and speaking of free -- it's by far the best tourism ticket value in town --- gratis! :D

Enjoy -- never enough to say about the UK ....... =P~
Wendell

brothers

Post by brothers »

I'm not a party to the very fascinating conversation, but it appears to me that my education is just not complete. I would certainly love an opportunity to plan an extended visit there, where all of these fascinating historical artifacts and locations could be slowly and methodically visited and experienced. That's only a pipe dream of mine, so Gordon, I certainly admire your upcoming visit. I know you will have some fascinating stories when you return.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

For anyone spending time in London, the Cabinet War Rooms near Westminster Abbey are a must-see. The WWII underground bunker is preserved as if Churchill and co. abandoned it yesterday. Its a great way to get a feel for London's wartime experience. Wilton House in Salisbury is among our favorite country estates, but we've never been to Blenheim.
Jim
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Excellent point, Jim -- I agree this is a must-see. We also enjoyed Shakespeare's Globe very much. Well worth it at only £13.50/adult. And while we are talking attractions --- The Tower of London needs to be on this list as well. We spent an entire day there on an earlier trip with 2 of our children and could have gone back in at least a couple of more days for sure. A tour by one of the Yoeman Warders is very entertaining, never mind informative.

I would add what some consider to be a frivolous ride on the London Eye as well .... even on a grey day it's a great view. We loved it when we did it 11 years ago (The Globe and The Tower were part of that same trip). It's much more expensive these days - remember, Brits pay in £ what we pay in $ --- before the conversion, so double-up to get a sense of what you will pay --- now you understand why I suggest the Eye is considered by some to be frivolous - but if you can budget for it, the experience is one you'll not easily forget. Which is also why I suggested The British Museum earlier --- it's free. :wink:

But -- Gordon wanted info on stately homes, ergo I took my suggestions a different direction.

London is one of those places where you will will not readily run out of things to do or places to see. :D
Wendell

Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

My wife refused to ride the Eye. She had a philosophical objection to a structure that turns the beautiful old city into a carnival.
Jim
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Kyle76 wrote:My wife refused to ride the Eye. She had a philosophical objection to a structure that turns the beautiful old city into a carnival.
I absolutely agree with your wife; makes me heartsick whenever I see it. It's a real eyesore, pun yes, but it aptly describes it.
Bryan
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I do get that it is polarizing. But trust me gents, the Eye is worth it. Have I ever steered you wrong on MWF?
Wendell

Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

I could see the London Eye from the rooftop of my flat in Bloomsbury. I've always thought it rather beautiful. And London always has been a sort of carnival... now The Shard and The Gherkin and all those other vain puffed-up towers that deface the City, they're a different matter. I irrationally resent the fact that my beloved skyline has become indistinguishable from a standard EuroCity. Ah well.
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Bloomsbury? Do tell. I used to know all the ins and outs from my travels on a bicycle from UCL/UCH.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Bargepole wrote:I could see the London Eye from the rooftop of my flat in Bloomsbury. I've always thought it rather beautiful. And London always has been a sort of carnival... now The Shard and The Gherkin and all those other vain puffed-up towers that deface the City, they're a different matter. I irrationally resent the fact that my beloved skyline has become indistinguishable from a standard EuroCity. Ah well.
Agreed .....
Wendell