Rain hats???

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
JayTrek

Re: Rain hats???

Post by JayTrek »

I pulled out an old leather broad brimmed hat that I had completely forgotten about. Really noodling treating the leather and using it.
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

What, no pics, Jason????
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

LOL. Wendell. Promise I will post later tonight.
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
Mr. Pinchy

Post by Mr. Pinchy »

jww wrote:spurtle is simply the best)
:shock:

I have one of those... the handle of my wooden spoon :lol:

and it cost ten times less :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
brothers

Post by brothers »

Jason, just curious, does this leather hat absorb the rain water and become soaked and heavy, or is it specially treated to avoid that? Regardless, I like it. Sorry if that's a dumb question, I have no experience with rain hats. (Other than my original bush hat that Uncle Sam gave me.)
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

This one is not specially treated. If I were to decide to use it for that purpose...I would treat it myself.
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Mr. Pinchy wrote:
jww wrote:spurtle is simply the best)
:shock:

I have one of those... the handle of my wooden spoon :lol:

and it cost ten times less :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I bought mine at Lee Valley Tools and it cost$5.00
Bryan
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Spurtles indeed. I can still visualise the possing stick my mother used each Monday.

C.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I know that I could have made a spurtle on my own if I had a lathe and all that -- but for me it was worth the purchase as I don't have access to the tools.
Wendell

JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

Resurrecting an old thread here.

The family went to Birmingham today and I discovered that Orvis had opened a small store there. Since we were focusing on back-to-school shopping for the kids...I really considered passing this Outback Trading Company hat up. But it is exactly what I was looking for for a rain hat. So I broke down after a walk and came back and purchased it. It is oilskin. So its waterproof. Looking forward to putting it to good use soon.

Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
brothers

Post by brothers »

Jason, looks like a nice one. Obviously worth the wait! Glad you found one.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

That one's a keeper.
Regards,
Squire
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

+3

Jason, be aware that oilskin doesn't breathe too well - even with the vents, you will get quite warm. Brilliant for cool rainy days, though. Nevertheless, you may find it uncomfortable on warmer humid days. Enjoy.

Now all you need is a Barbour or a PG Field coat to go with it. 8)
Wendell

maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

JayTrek wrote:Resurrecting an old thread here.

The family went to Birmingham today and I discovered that Orvis had opened a small store there. Since we were focusing on back-to-school shopping for the kids...I really considered passing this Outback Trading Company hat up. But it is exactly what I was looking for for a rain hat. So I broke down after a walk and came back and purchased it. It is oilskin. So its waterproof. Looking forward to putting it to good use soon.

What a coincidence, Jay - we were in Birmingham last night and I saw that Orvis shop (if you're talking about the one in the shopping center next to a Barnes and Noble).
Regards,
Mike
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

maskaggs wrote:
JayTrek wrote:Resurrecting an old thread here.

What a coincidence, Jay - we were in Birmingham last night and I saw that Orvis shop (if you're talking about the one in the shopping center next to a Barnes and Noble).
Ahhh. Yes...this would be at The Summit at 459 and 280.
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

jww wrote:+3

Jason, be aware that oilskin doesn't breathe too well - even with the vents, you will get quite warm. Brilliant for cool rainy days, though. Nevertheless, you may find it uncomfortable on warmer humid days. Enjoy.

Now all you need is a Barbour or a PG Fields coat to go with it. 8)
I will get to working on those coats ;)
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

For me, the choice in a "rain hat" is my Akubra fur felt "Australian Slouch" hat. 3 1/4" brim, comes with chin strap for wind-driven rain.
The felt has enormous ability to absorb rain water but must be allowed to dry naturally.
You can wear it in any weather; it's naturally breathable, comes in 1/8th" size increments for precise fit. Almost any Akubra fur felt
hat with a brim wider than 2 3/4" can serve as a rain hat; chin (or "stampede") straps can be fitted to almost any style and most
variations double as semi-dressy hats. In dry weather they offer great sun protection.
I look like a dork in hats like the Tilleys; a semi-dressy fedora makes me look SOMEWHAT less dorky.
My Akubra, bought in Sydney, NSW, is nearly 30 years old and still looks pretty new.
Just my $ .02.
Enjoying wet shaving, again.
jr/John
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

JRTASTER wrote:For me, the choice in a "rain hat" is my Akubra fur felt "Australian Slouch" hat. 3 1/4" brim, comes with chin strap for wind-driven rain.
The felt has enormous ability to absorb rain water but must be allowed to dry naturally.
You can wear it in any weather; it's naturally breathable, comes in 1/8th" size increments for precise fit. Almost any Akubra fur felt
hat with a brim wider than 2 3/4" can serve as a rain hat; chin (or "stampede") straps can be fitted to almost any style and most
variations double as semi-dressy hats. In dry weather they offer great sun protection.
I look like a dork in hats like the Tilleys; a semi-dressy fedora makes me look SOMEWHAT less dorky.
My Akubra, bought in Sydney, NSW, is nearly 30 years old and still looks pretty new.
Just my $ .02.
Sounds like a winner. Good hat.
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

JayTrek wrote:
jww wrote:+3

Now all you need is a Barbour or a PG Fields coat to go with it. 8)
I will get to working on those coats ;)
After several years of trying to love our waxed Barbour field jackets and hats my wife and I have ditched them in favour of our Gore-Tex rain gear. We both found the Barbours to be heavy, hot in warm weather and cold in cool weather. They do, however, look good, but their performance is not what we prefer. Barbour does make other waterproof jackets, which are equally as good looking as the waxed ones, but are lighter and breath better.
Bryan