US Open

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Kyle76

US Open

Post by Kyle76 »

It should be an interesting weekend at Pinehurst, generally regarded as the birthplace of American golf. The course, host of The Open in 1999 (Payne Stewart's famous victory over Phil Mickelson weeks prior to Stewart's death) and 2005, has been drastically changed for this year's back-to-back men's and women's championships. Ben Crenshaw's redesign returns the course to Donald Ross's original plan, with natural waste areas replacing the deep rough typical of US Open layouts. I was in Pinehurst for Tuesday's practice session. It was hot and dry, and greens and fairways were firm and unforgiving. Today's first round saw greens softened by overnight watering and more sub-par rounds than I would have expected. The area is experiencing scattered thunderstorms, so scores may depend on whether or not the course winds up in the storms' paths. It's a new look for The Open and should make for an exciting weekend.
Jim
gsgo

Re: US Open

Post by gsgo »

Just watched the last 90 minutes of this afternoons broadcast and have to say I like very much this years venue and think it will be a great open to watch. US Opens can get quite boring when you see players chipping out of the rough when they are unable to make a shot. The restored Pinehurst #2 is going to bring in a completely new element to the championship. With upcoming opens heading to Erin Hills, Chambers Bay and Shinnecock Hills over the next few years it will be interesting to see what happens. Looking forward to enjoying a few more hours of watching the event.

I visited Pinehurst once quite a few years ago during the green and lush days, I have to say it was a great course back then, the restoration is absolutely gorgeous, I think it may be time for a return trip.
Good shaving,

Gary
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

There is golf on this weekend? :shock:

Been too enamored with the luster of world cup -- which is an oddity for me -- I almost always follow the majors.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

jww wrote:There is golf on this weekend? :shock:

Been too enamored with the luster of world cup -- which is an oddity for me -- I almost always follow the majors.
Not to mention the Stanley Cup, but that could be all over tonight.
Bryan
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Rufus wrote:
jww wrote:There is golf on this weekend? :shock:

Not to mention the Stanley Cup, but that could be all over tonight.
The Stanley Who? I know, I am an anomaly -- a Canadian who has no time for hockey. Hasn't done it for me since I was 12, to be honest.

And someone will think about the NBA Finals which also looks due to end soon.

I must say, looking at the leader board, Kaymer is really putting on a clinic --- under 5 yesterday and today as well. Tee times seem a bit wonky today for R2 though. All will resolve itself tomorrow and Sunday unless Kaymer just keeps on romping.
Wendell

lanolite

Post by lanolite »

Didn't get to see much on TV and it seems it may almost be over, barring an epic Kaymer collapse -- not that these things never happen (see Adam Scott in the 2012 British Open.)

I thought the fairways looked odd with all that brown. Is that the way they looked originally?
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

lanolite wrote: I thought the fairways looked odd with all that brown. Is that the way they looked originally?
The redesign does return the golf course to the original look, with large waste areas of native vegetation. Donald Ross fell in love with the area's terrain and adapted his design to it. No. 2 was his masterpiece, and he had a home in Pinehurst, tinkering with its design until his death. After Pinehurst was sold several decades ago, the new ownership added acres and acres of grass and irrigation to mimic the typical well-manicured and mostly green American course, replacing the natural areas with high rough. Ben Crenshaw removed more than half of the irrigation system in remaking the course, leaving to nature whether much of the course, where the revamped irrigation system won't reach, will be green or brown. The irrigation lines run down the middle of most fairways, so the edges of many fairways may be out of range of sprinklers. It is a very "green" approach to course design. I believe water consumption is about a quarter of what it had been. With water demand outstripping supply in many areas of the world, this approach is likely to be watched closely by golf course designers in other places. It's an interesting approach, in which courses more closely mimic the areas in which they are situated, instead of relying on fertilizer and irrigation to achieve a lush course that is indistinguishable from hundreds of others.
Jim
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

No. 2 always deserved more than homogenization. It's wonderful to see it return to what it was.

I play golf in the 70s. If it gets much warmer than that, I don't go out.
Ron
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Kuymer, I see, had a rough round today. But no one really made a challenge either.
Wendell

lanolite

Post by lanolite »

After seeing more of the course, I like it, especially the native rough (that sounds slightly naughty). It doesn't seem to have slowed the pros down.

Overall, a pretty boring tournament, though, with the winner never much in doubt, like McIlroy at Congressional.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I have to say that it simply passed me by --- Happy for Kaymer though ....
Wendell

brothers

Post by brothers »

They did a special piece about Payne Stewart, which was nicely done.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

I watched the re-hash of the tourney on The Golf Channel last night, and the one thing that sticks in my mind is the incredible whip and bend of Kaymer's club shaft as he starts his downswing. It's golf, and the parts don't always mesh, but when his long swing is synched he's a terrific shotmaker.

*I haven't watched the Golf Channel much lately, so who in the world is this Holly Sonders? Jeezzz . . .
Ron
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

brothers wrote:They did a special piece about Payne Stewart, which was nicely done.
Miss him .... phenomenal golfer with the best style ever. Sad loss, that.
Wendell

Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

Payne is highly revered in Pinehurst, as his death followed closely after his 1999 US Open victory there over Phil Mickelson. For those who might not have seen it, here's the wonderful statue erected in his honor.

Jim
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Kyle76 wrote:Payne is highly revered in Pinehurst, as his death followed closely after his 1999 US Open victory there over Phil Mickelson. For those who might not have seen it, here's the wonderful statue erected in his honor.

Yup --- it's fabulous ... love it.
Wendell

Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

It's a very poignant tribute to a man captured at the high point of his professional life who was no longer with us just a few months later. There was a picture taken early last week of Payne's daughter striking this pose beside the statue. Pretty emotional stuff.
Jim