RIP Robin Williams

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Kyle76

RIP Robin Williams

Post by Kyle76 »

The comedian found dead of apparent suicide. Another talented genius gone. Tragic.
Jim
rsp1202

Re: RIP Robin Williams

Post by rsp1202 »

Unbelievable.
Ron
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Bright, talented guy, shame really, don't know about the rest of you but tonight I'm celebrating life by drinking the good stuff and eating desert first.
Regards,
Squire
pausted

Post by pausted »

RIP, Robin. You brought us a lot of joy.
Best regards,

Basil
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

Wow...Can't get my head around it.
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
brothers

Post by brothers »

A great loss.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Araner

Post by Araner »

Surprising and sad; I’ve always thought that talent comes with a price.

Regards,
Mike
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Apparently he suffered from depression. And he was known to use drugs. So I guess this can add up to someone not thinking clearly.

RIP.
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

Let's learn from this that depression is no joke. Many people who have never suffered from it do not understand. It is real. And it can happen to anyone.
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
mantic
Wielder of the Zorrick

Post by mantic »

Wow, this hurts. :(
dosco

Post by dosco »

GA Russell wrote:Apparently he suffered from depression. And he was known to use drugs. So I guess this can add up to someone not thinking clearly.

RIP.
Indeed.

Although Dr. Drew was interviewed on CNN and he mentioned that Robin recently had heart surgery and that this type of surgery often results in depression ... or the drugs used during convalescence can contribute to depressive episodes. Couple that with Robin's apparent genetic predisposition for depression and you get a bad combination.

Suffice it to say I was shocked and deeply saddened. I was driving from NY to MD and was at the Exit 2 rest area gassing up my car when I caught the report on the TV inside the rest area. I was shocked.

One of my favorite movies was Dead Poets Society.

Oh Captain my Captain.

:(

Sadly-
Dave
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

I was shocked when I found out last night. Another good one gone way too early.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
Jbbmad2

Post by Jbbmad2 »

To this day I still will say "shazbot" and every now and then "na new na new". My kids are like, what? He was a unique talent. Heard he had just signed to do sequel to Mrs. Doubtfire. I'm sure it would have been another hit.
Bruce
Proverbs 3:5-6
Gig'em!
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I know I am a bit late chiming in -- been busy with work this week.

What a talent and what a shame. Taking one's life indicates such desperation. How must his wife be feeling .... said goodnight and went to be, left in the morning thinking he was sleeping. That would take some time to get over I imagine. Not that it's her fault -- far from it, but living with him it would follow you would have feelings of guilt. That would be a natural reaction, I would think.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
evnpar

Post by evnpar »

Robin Williams apparently was recently diagnosed with Parkinson's, a neurological disorder with a high incidence of depression associated with the neurological changes in the brain, let alone depression related to coming to terms with the diagnosis itself. Apparently Robin also knew someone who had deteriorated from Parkinson's. I expect that Robin didn't want to face the personality and physical changes that he was facing. He was such a vibrant and physical individual, the thought of struggling to walk and speak might have been too much for him to bear. Michael J. Fox has been a wonderful spokesperson and role model for people with Parkinson's, but I can't imagine Robin going on David Letterman's show with the same tremors and slurred speech. I do wish that someone had recognized the seriousness of his depression. What talent, and what generosity for those in need.
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

1977 and I'm stationed in Alameda Ca. I had been on limited duty while a medical review board debated my future. I was driving a stretch Dodge Van taking recruits to medical appointment at the Marine Hospital, picking up supplies from Oakland Navy etc. My division officer thought it 'humbling' and would dissuade me from returning to lifeboat duty on Treasure Island. I was, in fact spiritually divorced from any future In the military and was enjoying my punishment discovering the riches of the Bay and checking out UCB.
I dumped my recruits and drove over to Golden Gate Park. I was deeply engrossed in Alan Watts and judo and kendo lessons with my Soto Zen Roshi. I walked into the Tea Garden to enjoy a bit of quiet. I'm walking at the military pace hammered into me and, momentarily distracted collided with this guy also paying attention to an inner voice.' Oh my GAWD! I'm so sorry, hey! did I miss the casting call for H.M.S. Pinafore? No, obviously your to grim looking- HEY! Who cares if your captain thinks you have keys to the icecream. You have to be CRAZY do your job' . I'm laughing and he turns quiet and asks what's going on with me. I started talking about cracking my head on the Oregon coast flipping a MLB and having to pick up a still alive jumper from the GG Bridge. Robin; yes, it was Robin said ' Hey, I know you probably gave that person more love in those few moments than they had in months. They don't give medals for that. Be proud, your human.' We shook hands,SALUTED and went our ways.
A year later I'm watching T.V. and Mork and Mindy airs. I NEVER MISSED AN EPISODE.
RIP friend
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Great story.
Regards,
Squire
TheMonk

Post by TheMonk »

It really is a shame, but I'm confident he's one of those actors that will long be remembered.
RIP, Robin!
David

“Use any means to keep from being a genius, all means to become one.” John Cage
brothers

Post by brothers »

Knowing how amazing the talents of both Mr. Williams and Mr. Winters were, I felt that the show was scripted, and thereby, their improvisations were stifled. I wondered who wrote the show, and whether the actors were granted a lot of leeway to improvise to some extent. Anyway, these are my two all time favorites. Long before Williams came along, I couldn't get enough of watching Jonathan Winters. Seeing those two together was the ultimate.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
dosco

Post by dosco »

KAV wrote: I started talking about cracking my head on the Oregon coast flipping a MLB and having to pick up a still alive jumper from the GG Bridge. Robin; yes, it was Robin said ' Hey, I know you probably gave that person more love in those few moments than they had in months. They don't give medals for that. Be proud, your human.' We shook hands,SALUTED and went our ways.
A year later I'm watching T.V. and Mork and Mindy airs. I NEVER MISSED AN EPISODE.
RIP friend
Excellent story KAV, many thanks for sharing.

-Dave