5 Best-Value Ryes

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
function

Re: 5 Best-Value Ryes

Post by function »

On the topic of micro-distillers, if a friend were to find some old distillation equipment in the basement of his grandmother in law's house would you recommend he:

A: take that copper to the scrapyard
B: call the cops, advise the homeowner is decreased, and ask how they wish to have the equipment disposed of
C: display that piece of Americana on the mantel
D: try to make brandy from jalapeno peppers grown in his garden
E: Other - please elaborate

This is not a necessarily a legal question directed at Squire, but more a general question for the board members. Asking for a friend, of course.
Nick

Give me Lavender or give me death.
brothers

Post by brothers »

B and C are much too lame to consider. You can always sell the copper if all else fails, or happen to need cash, so that's your last resort. D and E have fun and adventure to offer, those are my choices.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Nick he can do anything he likes with it except distill one drop of alcohol (not even to test the equipment) without first obtaining Federal and State distilling permits. Then locate the equipment in a building zoned for industrial use that also meets all State and local codes for electrical, mechanical, plumbing, fire protection and waste disposal. Even a 50 gallon still will throw off alot of waste product the EPA won't let you pour down the drain.

If he can locate/build/refurbish a suitable structure, get licensed, insured and bonded (try getting a Bonding company to underwrite that at a reasonable price) he still needs approval from the local fire marshal who likely knows nothing about distilling but has enough sense to do a google search on small distillery explosions and isn't about to jeopardize his position by approving a dangerous operation.

Presuming he can get up and running on the first day he immediately owes Federal alcohol taxes ($13-$14 a gallon) on every ounce running off the still (whether it's drinkable or not) and failing to keep accurate records is a felony.

Home distilling falls into that category of thinking that 'it should be okay' to plant a small patch of marijuana in the back yard. If your friend wants something unique then buy a bottle of cheap vodka (brand doesn't matter, they're all made by MGP) and add his own peppers.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

This explains why that large commercial US distiller is so popular. Doing it yourself would be impossible, considering the risks and expense.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

There are home distilling websites though and many people seen to believe they can fly under the radar.
Regards,
Squire
function

Post by function »

Squire wrote:There are home distilling websites though and many people seen to believe they can fly under the radar.
And several years later those websites and discussion forums are served subpoenas and are forced to reveal names and contact info of all members/contributors. Said members get letters from the FBI/TTB/BATFE or whatever alphabet agency is interested in a bust not long after inquiring about their activities.
Nick

Give me Lavender or give me death.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Shouldn't be hard to subpoena the customer records from those who sell home distilling kits.
Regards,
Squire
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

I think I'll just plant some pot. Sounds a lot less complicated.
Jim
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

The family tree is just as, if not more, complicated as the rye debacle. But just save yourself some time and stick to Kentucky Straight Bourbon.
Regards,
Mike