Let it snow!

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Rufus

Let it snow!

Post by Rufus »

No, I'm not mad or delusional. I can hardly wait for our first substantial snowfall. Last winter we had snow on the ground from 9 December to 16 April and the forecast is for more of the same this year. Why am I so happy about this, well I blew a wad on a monster new snowblower, which was just delivered. My old snowblower gave up the ghost during the last snowfall in April so I had to buy a new one. My old snowblower was way too small for my needs as my drive is four cars wide and five car lengths deep, and I have many, many feet of pavement and pathways on my property to keep clear. Because of this I decided no more under-sized and under-powered snowblowers for me, so I went out and bought about the biggest one I could find. It's a Cub Cadet 3-stage (yes, 3-stage) 30 inch wide machine with a 420cc engine, I've owned motorcycles with smaller engines and the engine in my first car, a 1959 Fiat 500, wasn't much bigger. What can I say other than, bring on the snow :mrgreen:
Last edited by Rufus on Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bryan
brothers

Re: Let it snow!

Post by brothers »

Bryan, I understand your eagerness for a chance to use your new machine. I'm looking forward to hearing how well it works out for you.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I hope you get all the snow you want and all of ours as well.

FWIW, the best snow thrower I ever had, and still have but don't use, is a attachment for my BCS " 'tiller". Stages mean nothing it's just a description of the way they work, this BCS monster is a single stage*, and will throw snow at least 50 yards and half that in height. I'm not making that up. The problem with a snow thrower is that there is only one wind direction, and wind is very important. That one direction is always the wrong one. After using the BCS for a few years I got tired of always having the snow in my face, and put a plow on my truck. It means I have to push the snow 10x further than I need to to make room for additional snow, but now I'm in the warm cab, have a radio, and no snow in my face when the wind shifts. Now if someone made a reasonably priced truck mounted snow thrower...

Snow throwing makes sense because one just clears what one needs to clear, so it's much faster.

* a single stage thrower means that the auger turns extremely fast, and paddles connected to the auger heave the snow out of the thrower. Almost like a squirrel cage blower moves air. I never had it plug no matter what the snow condition was, and nothing survives contact with that high RPM auger, nothing. Two stage means that the auger turns and another "fan" propels the snow through the chute, Triple stage, well, I'm not sure.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

I'm excited for snow also, I just want it to hold off until I get my new tires on my car next week :D
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

ShadowsDad wrote:
* a single stage thrower means that the auger turns extremely fast, and paddles connected to the auger heave the snow out of the thrower. Almost like a squirrel cage blower moves air. I never had it plug no matter what the snow condition was, and nothing survives contact with that high RPM auger, nothing. Two stage means that the auger turns and another "fan" propels the snow through the chute, Triple stage, well, I'm not sure.
I could try to explain it, but it's probably easier if you Google Cub Cadet snow throwers and you'll see what the third stage is all about and see some videos on it in use. Perhaps the third stage is a gimmick, but if the machine moves the snow more quickly and efficiently than my old machine I'll be very happy. BTW, it has heated handgrips, electric start and a headlight; given the size of the engine perhaps I can attach a seat to it and have a ride-on as opposed to a walk-behind. :mrgreen:
Bryan
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

ichabod wrote:I'm excited for snow also, I just want it to hold off until I get my new tires on my car next week :D
Put a new set of Conti snows on my car yesterday and SWMBO's last weekend, so we're all set. Will soon be getting the X-country ski equipment and snowshoes out for inspection and tuning.
Bryan
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Snow means I can get my snowshoes out but I am not looking forward to clearing the drive. Even with a snow thrower with my travel schedule, it can become rather inconvenient. Plus we have a rather smallish front garden, which means by late January, or sometimes sooner, I have nowhere left to throw the snow. Like playing in it with our granddaughter though.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Old Sarge

Post by Old Sarge »

It started out here today a bit. I have to be honest I'm not looking forward to it.

We had a very long winter last year that went into the middle of May where I live and the summer was mostly cold & wet. Now we're back into the snow.

I need to move somewhere that it's warm year round. Western NY is getting old.
Old Sarge's Aftershaves http://www.oldsargesaftershaves.com
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Our small city maintenance department doesn't even own a snow shovel. We have a simpler solution which is on the rare occasion it snows we just close the schools and shut down all nonessential services. Happens once every few years or so.
Regards,
Squire
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Bryan, if there is a "cab" option I'd look into that first.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

Yeah...what he said.
Squire wrote:Our small city maintenance department doesn't even own a snow shovel. We have a simpler solution which is on the rare occasion it snows we just close the schools and shut down all nonessential services. Happens once every few years or so.
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

JayTrek wrote:Yeah...what he said.
Squire wrote:Our small city maintenance department doesn't even own a snow shovel. We have a simpler solution which is on the rare occasion it snows we just close the schools and shut down all nonessential services. Happens once every few years or so.
I get a kick out of how they handle big snowfalls in the UK. They contract with farmers who own tractors and stick a plough on the front and tell them to clear out. Knowing first-hand how farmers drive in the UK, I can only imagine.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?