Complicated cleaning question

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
maskaggs

Complicated cleaning question

Post by maskaggs »

A few years ago, I was gifted a messenger-style bag that's leather on the outside but cloth-lined on the inside. I believe this may be the successor to that specific bag:

http://www.fossil.com/webapp/wcs/stores ... m_vc=PDPZ1

Back in the spring, I had a brief back problem that necessitated carrying a backpack instead of a messenger. So the messenger went into the basement, and I kept using the backpack.

When I dug out the messenger bag today I found that it's gotten mold on the inside - splotches all over the place, but only on the cloth and only on sections that would have been openly exposed to air. I'm trying to figure out if I can salvage the bag or if I should assume the mold has gotten in between the cloth liner and the leather exterior. Would any of you have any suggestions? Woolite? Laundry detergent? Stain remover? Vinegar? I really don't want to lose this bag!
Regards,
Mike
jww
Woolly Bully

Re: Complicated cleaning question

Post by jww »

Is it possible that by removing the lining altogether that the mood hasn't gotten to the leather?
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
brothers

Post by brothers »

If you can obtain a fragrance free Lysol or similar product, and if you could engineer a way to introduce the Lysol or similar product between the leather and the lining without significant damage to the lining, a prudent dousing all of the interior surfaces should kill the mold. That and a thorough airing-out while the product was drying.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

I modified Gary's suggestion and did a wipe down of the interior with a very strong Lysol solution. The bag, and some other items also hit by the mold, is in the garage to dry. I'm hoping the current temperature of 21 might also contribute to the death of the mold...
Regards,
Mike
brothers

Post by brothers »

I bet that'll work Mike.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444