Shaved head?

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
brothers

Shaved head?

Post by brothers »

I recently had the pleasure of visiting with a young man, my wife's nephew (active Navy). He's sporting a recently shaved head. Shaves it every other day or so, and is happy he did it. I know several of you guys shave your heads. I'm interested in your observations on the subject. Why would I want to do it, and would you recommend it? How does one go about it, and what are the nitty gritty maintenance details? Any random observations? :D
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ShadowsDad

Re: Shaved head?

Post by ShadowsDad »

I did it for a time, but I react to the metal in my eyeglass frames. Hair insulates my skin from it. A shaved head doesn't. Big problem. Other than that I liked the experience. It was a bit more maintenance than my buzz cut every 2 weeks, but it was great in the summer. A hat is mandatory with a shaved head IMO.

I used whatever razor I happened to use for the face every other day. Most often it was quite an aggressive razor. They did a great job and I might even have made some scar tissue more level with my scalp.

If you try it let us know how you make out.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I've always kept my hair very short, but five years ago I shaved my head prior to undergoing chemo. I was completely bald for about a year and I did enjoy it. I've gone back to "short back and sides", but I've often thought that I should ditch this hair thingy thing and start shaving my head again. I like the fact that it's low maintenance, cool in the summer and not bad looking once you're used to it; my step-son said it made me look intimidating :mrgreen: I'm not a fan of long hair on men or women and can't abide facial hair(especially on women) of any kind.
Bryan
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I would have to agree with Bryan's step-son. I find that a shaved head looks "harsh" or "severe," while even a little hair around the edges on an otherwise bald man softens the visage.

Then again, I'm a child of the Sixties and I think long hair on men looks fine and I think that some facial hair should be cultivated and left to show. 8)

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

Murray, good point. Some guys who shave their head are able to combine it with beards, goatees, or mustaches, for instance. I think a shaved head might be an option for those who are losing their hair anyway.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
stagger

Post by stagger »

I shave my head by choice, and like it a lot. I usually shave it twice a week or so. Wife also likes my shaven grape.
Regards,
Mark -
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

my random observation: fusion is the best razor/blade to use :D

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
brothers

Post by brothers »

I'm not exactly at the point of doing it any time soon. Obviously, it's such a simple thing. No down side, it'll grow back in a couple of weeks!
Gary

TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

I did it for a while. I liked the ease of maintenance. Also: more to shave. :)

Headblade is good. I prefer the Atra, though. Fusion was too much even for my scalp and I wound up with ingrowns.

Gary, the big brushes you favor are ideal for this application, as well.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
mikey

Post by mikey »

Hello Gary,

Which hairstyle is better: a shaved head or a bad comb-over?

Thanks,
Mike
brothers wrote:...Any random observations? :D
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

mikey wrote:Hello Gary,

Which hairstyle is better: a shaved head or a bad comb-over?

Thanks,
Mike
brothers wrote:...Any random observations? :D
As for bad comb-overs, the worst I've seen is that on the late Rene Levesque. If that was the choice I was faced with I wouldn't hesitate for a second and shave my head again.
Bryan
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

brothers wrote:Murray, good point. Some guys who shave their head are able to combine it with beards, goatees, or mustaches, for instance. I think a shaved head might be an option for those who are losing their hair anyway.
+1, and the reason I shaved mine. I started losing my hair just out of high school and quickly began to look at least a decade - if not two - older than I really am. I don't consider myself vain per se but the aging can actually be a social impediment - new acquaintances unaware that we were the same age would often treat me like an old guy trying to be hip. I didn't like that. So there's nothing up top now.
Regards,
Mike
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

I seem to be gaining steam on the thinning of my scalp. I have a touch of psoriasis so that concerns me about shaving my head. I do think if I lose more on top, I may go to a short, short sides and back just prior to going totally shaven.
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

Random observation?

Sunglasses never slide off my face because they hold onto the shaved skin on the side of my head. Although, this would be true of a Mohawk as well :D

Fusion is a great head shaving tool, the Fusion Dyson with the little orange ball in it is a useless gimmick (shocking!).
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Surprising to see Jerry Seinfeld's short crop on his website http://comediansincarsgettingcoffee.com/. Guess I'm used to the pompadour from his old TV show.
Ron