i just discovered . . .

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Squire
Squadron Leader

i just discovered . . .

Post by Squire »

This thing called a ChromeBook which appears to be what I need to connect to the internet as I have no other use for a computer. Any thoughts, pro or con?
Regards,
Squire
Gene

Re: i just discovered . . .

Post by Gene »

My son picked one up - he loves it for quick and easy stuff. Light, decently fast...perfect for Email, forums, etc. His has Windows 8.1 (he likes that, me not so much) so runs "apps" more than programs. no CD/DVD so I am not sure how you might load anything on it short of a download or buying an external player.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Thanks Gene, I wouldn't be loading anything, rather just need a box that connects me to the internet.
Regards,
Squire
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Squire, as far as chromebooks go, this review is a must read....the author in my opinion is one of the top tech writers out and about :D

http://www.computerworld.com/article/28 ... books.html
de gustibus non est disputandum
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Thanks Clive that's very useful.
Regards,
Squire
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Clive thanks very much for posting the article. I've been on the verge of purchasing a Chromebook, but have hesitated because I haven't been able to get a clear fix on which one would suit me best; your article has really helped me in that regard. BTW, the Chromebook will replace my I-Pad, which I've never got along with. SWMBO, on the other hand, loves the I-Pad so she'll have exclusive use of it as soon as my Chromebook arrives.
Bryan
brothers

Post by brothers »

As I'm beginning to comprehend, even though the author of the review refers to all Chromebooks generically as "laptops", they don't allow for setting up files and creating documents (MS Office/Word etc.) to put in those files, as with regular laptops?
Last edited by brothers on Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
owenm

Post by owenm »

brothers wrote:As I'm beginning to comprehend, even though the author of the review refers to all Chromebooks generically as "laptops", they don't allow for setting up files and creating documents (MS Word) to put in those files, as with regular laptops?
They basically just give you a web-browser and nothing else. So if you want to do work processing or spreadsheets you would use Google Docs and save your files to Google Drive. Google Docs does allow exporting as word documents, I believe. It does limit what you can do with local files, you basically need to save everything in the cloud (with some exceptions as you can load pictures etc from an usb drive or SD card - see this article for example.)
Cheers,
Owen
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I just replaced my 3 yr old Linksys router with the new WRT AC1900. Blazing fast speeds --- and this is essentially out of the box and set up with only the quick-start guide.

Next step is to look at personal cloud storage to hang off of it ..... looking at a MyCloud NAS --- one of the 2-drive bay jobbies ... .4TB for like $400 Cad. That should do us just fine.

What I am saying is that with a Chromebook and reliable network and cloud storage, you are good. But worst case scenario, you can always hang a WD Passport or Thumbdrive off it as well. They are a difficult argument to counter if you are really just looking for an internet device ..... and with a keyboard, some prefer them to tablets. I get that .... not sure I'll ever own one ----- lately I've had my eyes on the Apple camp .... as I get older, I am less interested in geeking out, and just want stuff that works well. Apple may not always be the most advanced technically, but it's very hard to argue their total user experience and the OS/hardware marriage.

Enjoy the Chromebooks, gents!
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Or I could just read a book.
Regards,
Squire
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Squire wrote:Or I could just read a book.
Just like the IKEA bookbook. Google "Experience the power of a bookbook". It's positively brilliant.
Bryan
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

http://youtu.be/MOXQo7nURs0

I think I posted this somewhere on the board before as well. Get a kick out of it each time I watch it.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?