Razor Rescue: put your thinking caps on!

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
brothers

Razor Rescue: put your thinking caps on!

Post by brothers »

I've got an old (as in ancient, 200+ year range) straight razor from somewhere in Europe. Original handle, good looking blade, considering the age. Someone, not I, has made a terrible mistake with this razor. The blade is coated heavily on both sides with an ultra-hard completely clear substance I'll presume is CA (cyanoacrylate aka super glue). I'm sure it was done to eliminate the possibility of rust and corrosion, and the result was a virtual, if not a literal destruction of the useful life of this old artifact. With that in mind, let's all stipulate that the razor is worthless, useless, and as good as dead as a razor. I'm not asking anyone to tell me that fact, because I already know it. However, maybe someone on SMF can enjoy the journey with me. Let's ignore the obvious, and use our heads to achieve the impossible. Grinding it off, maybe the most crude and destructively forceful act imaginable, would definitely ruin the blade, that's probably out.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Re: Razor Rescue: put your thinking caps on!

Post by Squire »

Acetone (nail polish remover) dissolves super glue, if that's what you're asking.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Thanks. I just bought a quart and now I've got to go find the razor. I'll set it to soak the blade, making sure to keep the handle clear of the solvent. I'll post the results when available, presuming this is indeed CA that's causing the trouble.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Post by brothers »

Moved a few boxes, dug around and found it. It is now out in the garage soaking in acetone.
I just checked the French shaving forum, I neglected to record the name of the forum. Evidently these were made around 1830, something of an ancestor to Theirs Issard, who does or did offer a modern razor they called Medaille Arg recently,

Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

If there was any coating on the blade it was removed through soaking in solvent. The clean steel blade reveals deep areas of amateur acid etching gone terribly awry. Must have been an experiment or something, both sides of the blade carry ugly scarred slightly recessed areas of damage. The scars aren't near any part of the edge, though. I see no reason the blade couldn't be honed with proper technique and tools. Summary: no rust or corrosion; deep scarring/etching; extreme hone wear; 185 years old.
Gary

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Sounds like an apprentice's project made by someone working up the learning curve. Still and all, if the steel is good . . .
Regards,
Squire