Suggestions sought: popcorn and popcorn oil

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
dosco

Re: Suggestions sought: popcorn and popcorn oil

Post by dosco »

I like to use Alton Brown's paper bag method for making popcorn in the microwave.

I saw your question about coconut oil - if I were you I'd skip it as much as possible (although it makes a good ingredient for shave soap, lol). This page is a fascinating read but pay particular attention to the table entitled "Relative Effect of Fats on Total Cholesterol." I've been using grapeseed oil since I first read that page (about 2 years ago), and recently I told my mother about it. Anecdotally ... she was using coconut oil in her coffee and despite dietary changes (eliminating cheese and various other dairy items from her diet) she told me her cholesterol was still going up. She then went to grapeseed oil and her cholesterol went way down ... she said at her last test it was lower than it's ever been since she started having it tested. She was able to avoid getting prescribed statins as a result.

-Dave
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Thanks dosco! I promise I'll read it.

Guys, here's a popper on sale today: list price $100, normally goes for $65-70, today $40.

http://www.amazon.com/Great-Northern-Po ... B00815EQEC
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Speaking of the devil, just now I have come across a slide show regarding "10 Foods to Help You Burn Calories." And number eight on the list is coconut oil!

Dosco, take a look at this, and tell me what you think!

http://www.msn.com/en-us/health/nutriti ... KP#image=8
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed