Ring around the collar and dingy t-shirts

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Ring around the collar and dingy t-shirts

Post by Sam »

Spray and wash does not work. Nor shampoo on the colors. Used a nail brush with soap. For t-shirts I heard to use lemon juice with bleach. Anything work for you guys?
Squire
Squadron Leader

Re: Ring around the collar and dingy t-shirts

Post by Squire »

Sam as long as they're clean I don't fret about it.
Regards,
Squire
Barry

Post by Barry »

How about scrubbing in some Fells Naptha Soap after you wear your shirts?

I use an exfoliant soap/scrubber on my neck area and it seems to have helped a bit
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

ditto on the squire's sentiments.......btw, there was a recent utube video from the test kitchen on stains.....they thought the oxy clean (soak in a bucket) worked best

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I send my button-front shirts to a laundry and all my T-shirts and polo shirts are washed at home in Oxyclean and Tide.
Bryan
malocchio

Post by malocchio »

I'm assuming they are white...If they come out "grey" or dingy it could be your water,I noticed this when I changed cites and the water was different...Try bleach,you can even pour it directly onto the collar ,then just throw it into the soapy machine water.Stuff like Oxyclean is good,but not truly powerful like real bleach,and by the way,a few years ago almost every bleach maker stopped listing the hypochlorite percentage on the label.These guys managed to overturn the labeling laws and this is why bleach from the 99 cent store is probably 2 or 3 %,while Chlorox concentrated should be at 8%.The standard for over a century was 6%..I don't buy bleach anymore unless the percentage is on the label...Another trick is to pour liquid laundry detergent on the collar,and let it sit overnight,use bleach in the wash the next day,this should get the stains out...Interesting topic,please let us know how you make out with this problem..
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Im gonna try the Oxyclean in the sink overnight for the t shirts. Then bleach (not from the 99 cent store) and vinegar in the washing machine, cotton and whites only.

As far as the collars, Ill try my nail brush and some liquid detergent on the collar and over night.
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

For white stuff, if it is cotton I use either Chlorox in the machine or Oxyclean in the Machine. I use the sanitize cycle which heat to 160 degrees and runs forever. For dressier stuff I use Oxyclean on the normal cycle set to Warm/Warm. If I have spots I try to remove them by srpaying with Zout and rubbing like heck first, then washing. If something goes through the dryer before I notice the stain I again spray with lots of Zout and rub even harder (use a stiff toothbrush); then let it stand for a day and add more and rub more and then re-wash. That usually works.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

I can't say that anything has worked for me over the long haul. But I have found that liquid Wisk works best for me, Sam.
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
BiffBuff

Post by BiffBuff »

I have to say that my solution is to avoid the problem altogether. I never buy white t-shirts. Pale gray or ecru is about the lightest color I buy -- over or underwear. It's a studied approach to sidestep this difficulty. When I worked in a kitchen and had to wear a white chef's coat (poly/cotton blend), I used bleach and washed them separately. Now, I just avoid white clothing.
disengage
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

I hope the OxyClean works well for you. It's done miracles for me, especially if you let things soak overnight.
Regards,
Mike