Trying to pair up Spotify on my phone with my car audio

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Trying to pair up Spotify on my phone with my car audio

Post by Sam »

Ok, don't know why I have not done this before now. Guess I was satisfied with Sirrus satellite radio (and getting it for like $50 a year when I have to call every 6 months, cancel and get the same deal again).

I have my HTC One M8 paired for calls with my BMW. I have had Pandora on the phone for a bit and today downloaded Spotify on my computer and then got the App for the phone (I also have a Nexus 7 and can download it there). My Iphone had a connector that plugged into the armrest and the back of my iphone and could play the phone through the auxillary on the car.

Any easy way to pair up the phone and play it through the car stereo, as Spotify lets me save my favorite songs? Or maybe go on ebay and buy an adapter that would plug into the male end of the iphone adapter in the car and then into the HTC?
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Re: Trying to pair up Spotify on my phone with my car audio

Post by Sam »

I have my HTC paired with the BMW. It works fine for phone calls. I used the cable that one would charge the phone through the wall, and plugged it into the console just as if I had my Iphone. Radio does not recognize it. There is no way to use a Media or other setting on the phone in bluetooth to get Spotify to play through the car radio off the phone.

I was thinking of this product:

Docking 30 Pin Female to Micro USB Male Adapter Charger for Apple iPhone 4 4S | eBay

I would plug in the cord that came with the car that allowed the Iphone to play through the audio (it has a USB end and a headphone jack on one side that plugs into the console, and the other side is the male end that would plug into the Iphone. This adapter, just maybe would be plugged onto where the cord plugged into the Iphone and then the USB male end into my HTC One. It says in its description it would not work on audio. But I guess that is what the headphone jack part did.
Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

Does your car stereo have Bluetooth?
Regards,
Mike
Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

Sorry, I must have missed this part. Too bad there's a limitation on your stereo or phone only pairing for calls.

Sam wrote:I have my HTC paired with the BMW. It works fine for phone calls. I used the cable that one would charge the phone through the wall, and plugged it into the console just as if I had my Iphone. Radio does not recognize it. There is no way to use a Media or other setting on the phone in bluetooth to get Spotify to play through the car radio off the phone.
Regards,
Mike
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

Sam,

I went with the HTC Bluetooth Stereo Clip (http://www.htc.com/us/accessories/#!pid ... stereoclip), because having to plug the phone into anything is so last century :D

My car (Mini Countryman, so I think it shares a subset of the BMW phone features) has Bluetooth for phone calls, so when I get into the car the phone syncs up automatically with the car audio Bluetooth. I use an app called Tasker which can set "if this then this" type rules. I have a rule set to tell my phone that if it's synced to the car Bluetooth, look for and sync with the HTC stereo clip.

Audio quality is more than acceptable for my (not quite audiophile level) ears. I mostly listen to podcasts from my phone in the car. The PocketCasts app I use is sophisticated enough to pause podcasts when the phone is on a call, so I imagine Spotify would be the same.
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Called BMW. It is a 2008, so I can only use the headphone jack to go through the auxillary, much like I did with the Iphone. Blue tooth wont sync up because the radio is not set up for that, but the phone through the radio is. Or that is what he said.
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

The HTC device plugs into the auxiliary and then makes it just like your car radio has bluetooth, the sync part isn't a big deal.
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic