Room fans - Quite, etc.

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Room fans - Quite, etc.

Post by Sam »

Need to get a room fan as the condo I am leading has no ceiling lighting or fans, and so the circulation is rather poor. Can get kinda clammy at night. Been reading up, and they have the tower fans and they have the personal/tabletop fans. Dyson has a unique look but very pricey. Vornado 660 at Amazon or the ones at Bed Bath and Beyond seem to get high reviews as does a couple of Lasko Tower ones. Anyone got comments on tower vs. tabletop models? Quiteness?
maskaggs

Re: Room fans - Quite, etc.

Post by maskaggs »

I can't comment on quietness, as noise is a benefit to me as far as a fan is concerned. Viz. me last night zzzzzzzzzz between the rain and the tower fan next to me.
Regards,
Mike
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

We bought a Vornado two years ago because it was highly rated, but we're not impressed. We're now leaning towards a Dyson, but the price is very off-putting.
Bryan
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

After buying a Casablanca ceiling fan years ago after having had "brand x" CFs in the same location, I would look into that brand for a table fan. It won't be inexpensive but it should be quality if the brand carries through across the products. I suspect that it will if it's still made. I'd google it to get user comments. I hate cheap junk. I'd rather buy once, buy right, and have it forever: I absolutely hate cheaply made junk. I'm frugal, but that doesn't mean "cheap"; it means "buy once have it forever". Not many folks think that way today and it shows in the products. After the 2nd ceiling fan we bellied up to the bar and paid the money. The Casablanca ceiling fan isn't without it's parts that fail, and the speed pull cord switch failed just last week for the 2nd time. But it failed from use. The pull chains can only take so many cycles without the chains wearing through. In under 10 minutes total (once I got to it) we were back in operation. I love the Casablanca ceiling fan, it's designed right and for me that's key. As I wrote, hopefully the quality goes through to the table fan as well. FWIW, now that I know the parts that fail on the Casablanca I have spares on hand. Replacing them is super easy if one has a screwdriver. As I wrote, I love the design!

Could they design it not to fail? Absolutely. It would only take a cable rather than a pull chain, and a roller that it passes over. But for the cost of the repair it's not worth the manufacturing expense IMO. Maybe I'll spray it with MolyD to see if that extends the life significantly. They're good for 4.5 years as is and the parts aren't expensive.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square