Anybody got an Apple watch?

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Kyle76

Re: Anybody got an Apple watch?

Post by Kyle76 »

A good friend got one yesterday. He likes it, but I haven't had the chance to discuss the benefits in detail yet. One thing he has mentioned is being able to see texts and other messages without having to pull his phone out of his pocket. I'd like that convenience.
Jim
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I am not ready for wearable tech yet, and don't know that I'll ever be.

Recently, while attending an internal education event for my company, we were told that close to 90% of people sleep with their devices within arm's reach and that the average person checks their smartphone 150 times a day. My employer sees that as an opportunity. Me, well I consciously decided that the only electronics I will have by my bed is my Kobo e-reader, and even that doesn't get turned on every single day.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

jww wrote:I am not ready for wearable tech yet, and don't know that I'll ever be.

Recently, while attending an internal education event for my company, we were told that close to 90% of people sleep with their devices within arm's reach and that the average person checks their smartphone 150 times a day. My employer sees that as an opportunity. Me, well I consciously decided that the only electronics I will have by my bed is my Kobo e-reader, and even that doesn't get turned on every single day.
I'm with you Wendell. But, I don't embrace technology effortlessly; my wife and children think I'm a Luddite. I just don't see the need for much of it especially in the context of my needs. I like to keep things simple and thus my life simple.
Bryan
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

Wendell. Rufus.... please move over and make room for one more in your camp!

my wife is seriously considering having her nieces and nephews, and their families, check their electronic
paraphernalia at the door, Dodge City-style, when they arrive for the annual "Cousins' Week" in mid-
August.

having them bury their heads in those various devices when they travel from the West Coast, Florida and
points in between to spend 7 days together definitely seems counter-productive, if not disconcerting.

We may lose that battle, if not in the short-term, then certainly in the longer view as they are truly overly
tethered to their SmartPhones, tablets, laptops and the like.
Enjoying wet shaving, again.
jr/John
95%

Post by 95% »

While I'm sympathetic to the Luddite/troglodyte mentality - and am subject to it myself on occasion - I must admit that the internet has changed my life for the better. Who would want to be without email? Or without the ability to inform ourselves in advance about a business or other organization we may be interacting with in the near future? Texting is a real boon, I find, for intra-family communications. It's so much easier (and less intrusive) than a phone call. As for a smartwatch, glancing at it can be quicker and less distracting than pulling the phone out of one's pocket and staring at its large screen.

But constant tweeting and social networking seems useless to me. I don't subscribe to any of those services.
Porter
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

JR, you don't have to be a Luddite to disapprove of rudeness.
Jim
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I'm rather particular about whats in or near my bed and electronic do-dads aren't on my list.
Regards,
Squire
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

I have enough trouble trying to push buttons on my phone. I have skinny fingers. I can not imagine trying to type on a watch.
Ed
brothers

Post by brothers »

scruffy wrote:I have enough trouble trying to push buttons on my phone. I have skinny fingers. I can not imagine trying to type on a watch.
This describes me as well. Except my fingers are not skinny.
Last edited by brothers on Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
95%

Post by 95% »

No typing is done on the watch. Input is by pressing an icon or block of text, or by dictation. Skinny fingers will have no problems.
Porter
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Voice activated dictation?
Regards,
Squire
95%

Post by 95% »

Sure, Squire. You can dictate a note to the Apple robot, Siri, exactly as Perry Mason dictated letters to Della Street.
Porter
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I'm old enough to recall my dictation being taken down in shorthand then transcribed on a typewriter . . . a mechanical typewriter.
Regards,
Squire