Motorsports - Cats - Shave Brushes

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
SnafuJack

Motorsports - Cats - Shave Brushes

Post by SnafuJack »

Ellan Vannin is a small windswept island known primarily for a breed of cat and being home to the worlds' oldest motorbike race/course. The cat comes in 2 models: rumpy and stumpy. The race course is a curiousity; hidden in plain sight it emerges as the 37.73 mile loop of public roads are closed.
Streets thread through town to the roads that lead to more streets and towns, up the modest mountain and down to where it all began. The course bucolic in nature, lined with hedges, trees, wooden fences, stone walls, houses and the occasional roadside cliff. The course was adopted in 1911 and has changed little since then.
The race is time trial format with the riders being sent off individually at set intervals. The winner is the one who achieves the distance in the fastest time, thus the need for relentless speed.
The bikes are cutting edge designs, purposely built for traversing public roads at incredible speed.
The racers who win here stand second to none, for they belong to a select group that includes Surtees, Agostini and 'Mike the Bike'.
The conundrum: what do you have when you put 200+ mph road rockets on a race course frozen in time to the infancy of motorsports. You have the TT , little else need be said.

http://youtu.be/iRWp9rhfS_0

http://youtu.be/XtZlm9Lp7q4

If this is doe not appeal to you, then drop over to Progress Vulfix....something else the Isle of Man is known for.

The event is on the Velocity channel in the states.
Last edited by SnafuJack on Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
~ Jack
I'm not lazy, I just enjoy doing nothing.
brothers

Re: Motorsports - Cats - Shave Brushes

Post by brothers »

Jack, thanks for posting this. It's a thrill to watch them at those speeds. Beautiful Island too. I'd love to visit.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Just fantastic! I'd love to be a spectator. I bet the racers don't make more than one error at those speeds.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
SnafuJack

Post by SnafuJack »

Brian. The course is singularly unforgiving...it is a fearsome toll, second to none. There was gale force winds coming off the mountain and the first day of racing was cancelled. Not because of how the wind affects the bikes, but because the medical helicopter could not fly.

' the Isle of Man TT.....it is what it is Boys....nothing more, nothing less '
~ Jack
I'm not lazy, I just enjoy doing nothing.