Mad Men series

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
brothers

Mad Men series

Post by brothers »

It's a fact that I never thought it necessary to watch even one single minute of this series when it was running. After experiencing "Breaking Bad", and realizing I have stupidly missed out on some good television, I am making amends, and am proud to admit it. I've watched Episodes 1 and 2, and will enjoy the following 85 episodes at my leisure. I can't binge watch, nor do I want to. I like to stretch things out, especially when I'm enjoying them.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Re: Mad Men series

Post by Squire »

I liked the first few seasons well enough, the major characters were compelling. At some point though the producers started emphasizing the minor characters and there were too many subplots with parallel story lines going on to hold my interest.
Regards,
Squire
Gene

Post by Gene »

My wife and I started watching Mad Men - beginning to end - last year. We didn't binge watch, either, but eventually plowed through them all - and waited for the last season with great anticipation. We have recorded all the last few episodes, but stalled after the first two - they weren't as good (my opinion, of course). We may watch them eventually, but frankly it won't bother me if we don't.

I have enjoyed the way to portrayed life back then - some aspects of how our parents (or some of us(!)) lived back then is pretty surprising when you think about it.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

That was also my impression Gene. Back in the 50s my Dad dressed like those guys.
Regards,
Squire
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

Like Squire, my wife and I watched the first few seasons, but we grew not to care about the characters and just quit watching.
Jim
brothers

Post by brothers »

Sounds similar to what we may be experiencing with Downton Abbey. The final season turned out to be just another link in the chain. I often abandon a series when they keep on going just because they're still making money, even though they've stopped being interesting.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Gene

Post by Gene »

Interesting, wife and i still enjoy DA. We especially like Maggie Smith's portrayal of the Dowager.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Me too. I saw a pink girl's T-shirt with the words "do what the Dowager Duchess says".
Regards,
Squire
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

brothers wrote:Sounds similar to what we may be experiencing with Downton Abbey. The final season turned out to be just another link in the chain. I often abandon a series when they keep on going just because they're still making money, even though they've stopped being interesting.
Hear, hear. We stopped watching DA after the 2012 Christmas Special following season 3, as enough is as good as a feast.
Bryan
brothers

Post by brothers »

I haven't decided to give up watching DA. Maybe it'll depend on how the upcoming season plays out.
Gary

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Oh I stuck it out, DA is a visual feast.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

That's one of the things we like about Downton Abbey, for sure.
Last edited by brothers on Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

I got around to watching episodes 1,2, and 3 of Mad Men Season #1. That was when I decided that's all I shall ever care to see. It occurred to me that all of the carryings-on were stuff I witnessed back in those days through newspapers, magazines, television, and generally in the news every day, and I certainly never thought any of that crap was desirable. Not then, and not now. Turns out my instinct not to watch it was accurate from the beginning. I'm done with it, and moving on.
Gary