Really big lobster

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
ShadowsDad

Really big lobster

Post by ShadowsDad »

http://www.wcvb.com/news/giant-lobster- ... t/34138958

I couldn't find local news video.

Maine law prohibits keeping lobsters of this size since they are excellent breeders. It was thrown back.

There are scuba diving rumors of even larger bugs down there.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Gene

Re: Really big lobster

Post by Gene »

Does a rare lobster require a rare drawn butter?
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

In the case of that lobster one would be drawing the butter in the slammer. :-)

It's too valuable as a breeder to ever eat. But it would serve a lot of people if it was steamed.
Brian

Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I don't think it would be the best eating; because of its size it's probably tough. The best eating lobsters are 1.5 lbs to 2.0 lbs.
Bryan
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Rufus, in Maine we can never have lobsters over about 3# so I can't comment on bigger ones than that. But I do regularly buy 3 - 3 1/2# lobsters and they don't appear to be tough. My brother who lived in New Hampshire can get "oversize " lobsters and he has had a few really big ones. He reports the same good eating of the large ones. One aspect is that even the tiny legs have meat enough to be worth going after.
Brian

brothers

Post by brothers »

Lobster's good, no doubt! I like seeing that big guy, and the fact that he got a second chance. Good for him. Anyway, down here and further south and east, we eat a lot of the much smaller cousins of the mighty lobster, commonly called crawfish/crayfish/and when they're alive, I call them crawdads. They used to live in holes in the ground near the ditches, especially in the summertime. Probably not too common anymore with all the streets being paved these days. When I was about 9 or 10, I'd go around on my bicycle and when I found one of their telltale mounds, I'd take a bit of time and stick my arm down inside the mud burrow and pull them out. Then I'd take it home and show it to my mama, who was/still is scared to death of these ugly little critters. I love crawdads, live or cooked.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I have never had crawfish Gary, but that's because they aren't common up here. I think they're here, but that's all I know about them. I've never seen them in a restaurant. I have seen them in NJ restaurants, but they were called rock tail shrimp; I think that's another name for crawfish isn't it?
Brian

Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Um, them's good eats, them crawdaddys. Crawfish boil. We have trucks that park on the sides of roads and sell Louisiana Crawdads, boil them up and serve em up.
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Love them crawdads; in Houston and New Orleans they were also called mudbugs. When in New Orleans I never missed an opportunity to visit Acme Oyster House to gorge on raw oysters and boiled crawdads.
Bryan
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I use crawfish instead of shrimp in any dish that calls for shrimp.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Squire wrote:I use crawfish instead of shrimp in any dish that calls for shrimp.
Same here! :)
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

And we get them fresh here for $2.99 a pound cooked or even cheaper alive.
Regards,
Squire
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

You guys are killin' me!

I wish you'd send some of them north! I like anything that comes out of the water.
Brian

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

They don't like cold weather Brian, just curl up and get all sulky.
Regards,
Squire
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Well, you all know what they say about Maine????? The way life should be .... guess that goes for big honking lobsters as well.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?