Going under the knife

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
ShadowsDad

Going under the knife

Post by ShadowsDad »

Or to be more accurate getting my right knee 'scoped.

Nothing is chiseled in granite yet, but my GP suggested that it would be happening as he knows me and my activity level. I certainly want it to happen. But I haven't seen the bone Dr yet. That happens Monday.

I know I don't want the excruciating pain that I experienced in May to reoccur. My GP told me that what I thought I had I really did have according to the MRI.

On a bright note I should have a good bone Dr. . I found out today that the Dr.Wexler that I'm scheduled to see had some involvement as team Dr or some such with Manchester United. I think he probably knows something about knees. I'm not into soccer, but one would be living In a cave to not know what MU is. Does anyone know of this Dr. Wexler?

I had my left knee 'scoped 30 some odd years ago and it's been wonderful ever since so I'm looking forward to getting my "new" knee. It's been holding me back from life since May.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
ShadowsDad

Re: Going under the knife

Post by ShadowsDad »

I was curious so I googled "Manchester united Dr. Wexler" and I found him.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... ances.html

Cursor down to the list of staff. He's the 6th down. How interesting that he's practicing in Maine.
Brian

Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

By all means Brian, at this point getting it done is the best option. Good luck and keep us posted.
Regards,
Squire
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

ditto on squires comments

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

+2
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Oh yeah, I'm definitely going to get it done sooner rather than later.

I got the left knee done maybe 30 years ago and the difference after the 'scope was night and day. That was before MRIs were commonly done and the surgeon told me that it was worse than he expected. At the time I was working on a paper machine and the danger of having the torn cartilage produce the pain was too much. If you've never felt it the pain is truly excruciating. I could picture myself collapsing into the machine that was running near 60 mph. I got it done ASAP and have never regretted it.

This latest bout with torn cartilage in my right knee has dominated my life since it reared it's ugly head. I hate that! I want my life back. I have things to do and I'm normally active even if older.

I'm quite happy that my osteopath has so much experience with leg injuries. I expect to be laid up for a month with a knee brace, but that's minor compared to what will follow. But I'm just as motivated as his soccer patients, so we'll see. I'll see the Dr on Monday and if he asks when I want it done the answer will be the same as it was 30 years ago for the other knee... "Tomorrow". If you've never felt pain like that I don't wish it on anyone reading this. You can't possibly imagine that level of pain when the cartilage gets out of place. Thank GOD that after the first week or so it has "talked" to me, but never has the tear hasn't gotten wildly out of place as it did that first time. I've managed to manipulate the knee and get the tear back where it belongs fairly quickly. So when I discussed it with my GP I was fairly certain what it was by the way it acted. I'd experienced it before with the left knee. I've known this was coming for years with that knee, but it just didn't get bad enough to fix until late May.

Anyway, yes, I'm definitely getting it done. I have too much to do to even question the worth of the procedure.

My major question was if anyone knew of Dr Wexler, but my question was answered with my google search based on what my GP told me of his history. Yup, he can work on my knee. I think he's qualified.
Brian

brothers

Post by brothers »

You'll be glad you did it sooner than later.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
slackskin

Post by slackskin »

I wonder what would happen to your relationship with Dr. Wexler if you told him you were a fan of Manchester City, which is a serious rival of Man United . . . . . .

Best wishes on a successful outcome.
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I'll have to remember that! :lol:
Brian

jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Knee work can be iffy or can be wonderful. When I had my ACL repair 10 years ago, I was astonished at how relatively easy it was ..... the hard part was the recovery period between the injury and surgery and then again after surgery. The first few days of getting mobile are key. I was also amazed at how quickly my leg muscles atrophied ------ and was very faithful to my physio/exercise regimen. It got me back to normal eventually --- long recovery though. My hamstring and quad were essentially non-existent after week 2 post-op.

Good luck, Brian -- could be worse. Scoping really isn't all that bad these days.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Well, I told him that I was a huge fan of Manchester City and he told me that he'd keep the boxing gloves in the closet.

Surprisingly, based on the behavior of the injury he gave me three options to choose from. Right now I chose to put off any further action, just use the knee normally and see what happens. Just a phone call will allow me to change options and go with either of the other 2. Surgury (the 'scope) is one of the options and IMO the only other one that I'd consider.

So for know it's on hold.
Brian

Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

Good luck!
Jim
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

ShadowsDad wrote:Well, I told him that I was a huge fan of Manchester City and he told me that he'd keep the boxing gloves in the closet.

One word -- United ...... :wink:
Wendell

jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

A deleted Troll wrote:
jww wrote:
ShadowsDad wrote:Well, I told him that I was a huge fan of Manchester City and he told me that he'd keep the boxing gloves in the closet.

One word -- United ...... :wink:
You're obviously not from Manchester :lol:
Adopted ----- my wife hails from Gorton in Greater Manchester ....... Been several times --- nothing like taking in a game at Old Trafford. Our oldest will be at the derby at OT in October ---- lucky man that he is.
Wendell

JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

I will also say Go Red Devils!!! My family can be traced to Eccles which is literally 2 miles from Old Trafford.

Best of luck on the scope though. I hope they find what they need to find and clear it out leading to a full recovery.

All the best....
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

JayTrek wrote:I will also say Go Red Devils!!! My family can be traced to Eccles which is literally 2 miles from Old Trafford.

Best of luck on the scope though. I hope they find what they need to find and clear it out leading to a full recovery.

All the best....
Eccles cakes, mmmmm!
Wendell