Optimum lighting?

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Optimum lighting?

Post by fallingwickets »

Where do you gents think is the best place / (type) for lighting in a bathroom as far as shaving is concerned. I had a four bulb fixture on the wall over the mirror (behind the vanity), but decided to remove it and have a highhat installed. Bad mistake....shadows were intolerable. I had the electrician put back the fixture, but at a slightly higher point, however i'm still getting a slight shadow. So, if you could put light anywhere in your bathroom that would be optimal for shaving purposes, where and what would you install

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Re: Optimum lighting?

Post by M6Classic »

Depends entirely upon your optimization function. I don't mean to be flippant...well, yes I do...but we each have different tastes in light; intensity, color temperature, angle, tungsten v. hallogen v LED. One cannot generalize from any individuals preferences but one's own.

Buzz
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Clive, I have an array of six baseball-type bulbs (compact fluorescent, 40W equivalent each, I believe) over the cabinet/mirror. The light bar is attached directly to the wall, while the cabinet places the mirror a few inches forward, closer to my myopic eyes. There is a wall immediately to the right, which undoubtedly provides some reflected light from the side, as well. This set-up has worked well enough for me that I haven't contemplated any potential improvements.

- Murray
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I built my own fixture that has diffuse indirect lighting from above. It works fine and I've never second guessed it or wished for something other.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I had a stage dressing room sort of setup with lights on the sides and top of the mirror in my house which worked very well by eliminating shadows. Of course my eyesight was good enough to take advantage of it at the time. Now I'm half shaving by feel anyway so lighting only need be sufficient.
Regards,
Squire
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

We have 3 full bathrooms in our house and there are ceiling pot lights in each of them. As far as we're concerned, this lighting works very well for all our needs and there is no need for mirror lights. The number of pot lights in each bathroom is, of course, a function of the size of the room.
Bryan
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Thanks for all the input. I'll follow up in a few weeks with final layout......the race is on though...who loses it first; me or the electrician haha

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
brothers

Post by brothers »

CMur12 wrote:Clive, I have an array of six baseball-type bulbs (compact fluorescent, 40W equivalent each, I believe) over the cabinet/mirror. The light bar is attached directly to the wall, while the cabinet places the mirror a few inches forward, closer to my myopic eyes. There is a wall immediately to the right, which undoubtedly provides some reflected light from the side, as well. This set-up has worked well enough for me that I haven't contemplated any potential improvements.

- Murray
This is pretty much what mine is. I haven't noticed any problems with shadows, and I use 60w instead of 40. I'm not having any problems with it.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444