Metal detecting

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
jthomas60506

Metal detecting

Post by jthomas60506 »

I bought my son a pretty high end metal detector because of his varied interests as a middle schooler. I have to admit that I am pretty excited about exploring with him. We have explored many, many related websites which all have the kinds of basic information you would expect (e.g., always ask permission on private property, don't leave divots, don't expect to find Blackbeard's treasure, etc.) We live in a suburb of Chicago, and I am finding that nearly everywhere we try to explore is off-limits for one reason or another. Any tips on where we might go to just putter around?

Thanks as always,
JT
Squire
Squadron Leader

Re: Metal detecting

Post by Squire »

For a Northern major metropolitan area I'm hard pressed to make a viable suggestion. Within an hour's drive of where I sit are numerous sites of battles, skirmishes and other conflicts from the indigenous Indian tribes era (I live in Oktibbeha County, a name derived from an Indian phrase that meant Bloody Boundary (the Tibbe river) between the Choctaws and Chickasaws) up through the American Civil War of the 1860s. I expect you could find Union Army debris just by prying up some bricks on our town's main street.

South of here is the Old Federal Road (one of the first National Highways) used during Andrew Jackson's time and a little research would disclose some promising historical sites surrounded by land that is privately owned. Getting permission to explore involves little more than an introduction to the landowner.

At a loss to name anyplace to go in your area though. Perhaps some State/National Forests or Wild Life refuges within your driving range. I believe artifact hunting is allowed with the proper permits.
Regards,
Squire
ShadowsDad

Re: Metal detecting

Post by ShadowsDad »

Are there any long abandoned farms ? Public beaches? Public parks? Around the monkey bars at schools.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square