My skin is very sensitive

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
MyShaverGuide

My skin is very sensitive

Post by MyShaverGuide »

Fellas,
Glad I found this forum today.

I am shaving from the electric shavers from 3 years now.
My skin is very sensitive, everytime I use straight razor or safety razor, I get a lot of red pimples all over my face and it hurts a lot...

Any solution?
MyShaverGuide

Re: My skin is very sensitive

Post by MyShaverGuide »

Also I forgot to mention that, I always wet my skin and place gel foam before using electric shaver.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Good afternoon, as this is your first day here let me welcome you aboard. Yes, we can offer assistance in helping you learn to shave with traditional methods. May I suggest you look over our archives and post any specific questions you may have.

Little here on electric razors I'm afraid, though there are other shaving boards that go into that in great detail.
Regards,
Squire
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

What Squire said ...... and welcome to SMF.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Welcome to SMF, MyShaverGuide!

I, too, have very sensitive skin and I have come to the conclusion that I will always have some skin irritation after a shave, regardless of the method used. The goal is to keep damage to a minimum.

The only way I have ever used an electric shaver is dry, and that provided a serviceable shave with the usual irritation.

What works best for me is to use a mild double-edge (DE) razor, which doesn't shave as closely as an "aggressive" razor, to spare the skin. I make my own lather with a brush and a shaving soap of good quality. I build a wet, slick lather that allows a mild razor ready access to the whiskers without applying pressure, while at the same time providing glide/lubricity for protection and smoothness. I do a three-pass shave and I only shave three times a week, to allow my skin some time to recover between shaves. I am a retired social worker and the dress code for the job was relaxed, as that was more comfortable for our clients. If I had had to wear a closed collar and tie on a daily basis, I would have had to shave daily to keep from tearing up those collars. I would have had to reduce the shave to a single pass, but even so I expect that I would have had chronic skin irritation from the daily scraping.

I don't know if you are still dropping in here or if you have moved on to a forum for electric shavers. Successful wetshaving will require some skill and experimentation to find what works best for you.

- Murray
Seamaster

Post by Seamaster »

1. Bic 1 Sensitive single blade disposable would be my suggestion.

2. Ditch the gel (ugh!), use a quality shaving soap and a brush. Take your time about this.

3. Stick to a one-pass shave in the direction of beard growth, with little to no pressure applied. A comfortable shave is more important than a close one.

4. Finish with a cold water rinse and a balm.

PS: Welcome to SMF. You came to the right place.