Miniscus tear and surgery

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
jww
Woolly Bully

Re: Miniscus tear and surgery

Post by jww »

Knees just wear out --- unfortunately. My wife is now experiencing severe knee pain, and it looks like the scope for her methinks. My left knee - i.e. - the non-surgery knee and so I refer to it as my old vs my new knee -- is starting to give me some difficulty. Scoping is surely on the cards. At least there is no issue cycling, and oddly enough hiking hasn't been problematic either. I do us trekking poles though, so that may help alleviate the problems.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I had my torn cartilage removed on Thursday. Doing good.

The worst part were the heavy duty pain killers I was given. I took 8 and that was enough. There was no pain w/o taking them so I discontinued taking. The problems? I know I was constipated and I never am; maybe that caused the following? Last time was 40 years ago, so I have no experience with constipation. After discontinuing the med' I was hot/cold with cold sweats. Very anxious and pacing, wanted to do a dozen things all at once. I doubt I was in withdrawal from such a short time on them, but it was strange none the less. The remainder of the Rx has been destroyed. I never want to take them again (ever) and didn't want them on hand. I can't conceive that there are folks "out there" who find that tablet is in any way enjoyable.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
brothers

Post by brothers »

ShadowsDad wrote:I had my torn cartilage removed on Thursday. Doing good.

The worst part were the heavy duty pain killers I was given. . . . I never want to take them again (ever) and didn't want them on hand. I can't conceive that there are folks "out there" who find that tablet is in any way enjoyable.
I agree completely. I wish you a speedy and full recovery.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

brothers wrote:
ShadowsDad wrote:I had my torn cartilage removed on Thursday. Doing good.

The worst part were the heavy duty pain killers I was given. . . . I never want to take them again (ever) and didn't want them on hand. I can't conceive that there are folks "out there" who find that tablet is in any way enjoyable.
I agree completely. I wish you a speedy and full recovery.
Me too. Eleven years ago I had serious lower back pain caused by a herniated disc and spinal stenosis. I was put on a very powerful pain killer, an anti-inflammatory and muscle relaxant: to put it mildly I was really spaced out. After a couple of months I decided that the pain was more tolerable than the drugs and took myself off them with my physician's concurrence. Fortunately, intensive physiotherapy ameliorated the pain and I was able to get back to living pain free without the help of an opioid or other drugs. It was a struggle, but was well worth it. I wish you a speedy recovery.
Bryan
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Thanks gents! FWIW, those tablets are feeding the bugs in my septic system as of Saturday.

Recover is some sort of remarkable, but I'm comparing it to the same surgery I had on the other knee 30 years ago. Back then, same 'scope procedure from my perspective, I was on crutches and in a knee immobilizer for a month. This time I brought my crutches, but didn't need them and was told pointedly that they are "OK for stabilizing me.". Basically they weren't used. The Doc told me (basically) if it hurts, stop what you're doing. Other than keeping the leg up when not on it, and doing exercises, recovery has been very fast. I was told that it would be, but half of me thought they were fibbin' to make me feel good. Today I get the stitches out and I hope I get rid of this ace bandage. I think it's too soon for the stitches, but clearly I'm living in the past. I eagerly anticipate getting rid of the Ace bandage. :-) If I had known it would be this fast I'd have gotten it down when it was first diagnosed and been done with it.

I did miss a shooting match due to their postponing my surgery until it was convenient for them, but the knee is already much better with no "gotchas" felt if I moved "funny". I'd been living with those, and worse, since late last May.
Brian

Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Every now and then I find myself with my knee "catching" and feel that it could just "pop" but it stablizes and nothing is worse for the wear. My recovery was really quick. Basically, I got on a recumbent stationary bike and pedaled. Within a week, no issues. Took about three weeks before I felt comfortable running a bit
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

My surgeon showed me the pix and he said that for a 95 year old gent I have a fantastic right knee. I had to remind him that I'm only 63. :lol:

Of course I jest.He told me that I have a good knee. He did show us the tear and it was larger than he thought it would be. He also told me to not go for any 5 mile hikes but to carry on and that it should be back to normal in a bit. Excellent! I have a shooting clinic next w'e' and a match after that. I missed a match this past w'e'. I wouldn't have missed it if my scheduled surgery had stayed scheduled on time. But he's new to the area and operating theater time is finite and he's in demand. :-) But happy here. I'm good to go! Not at all what happened 30 years ago with the other knee.

BTW, this was the Dr. David Wexler who was the Dr for Manchester United for a time. My wife commented that he has a great sense of humor. I think that he picked up on mine. Good surgeon. A+ rating from me. I have another app't in a month, but if I have no issues he told me to cancel it. He's a generally good guy.
Brian

jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Knees take such an enormous amount of stress throughout a lifetime. Walking, Running, pivoting, etc. ..... it all adds up.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
BiffBuff

Post by BiffBuff »

I know what you mean Sam, my knee felt that way for months -- as if it were on the verge of?? ---what? During recovery I favored my knee instinctively, and even after it was back to 99% and I was feeling pretty confident, I found it difficult to walk completely normally for quite some time. I no longer think about it much -- only when the decision to leap or not is called for. That was almost a year ago. Mostly now, I favor the safer cowardly option.

As is so often the case in my life, now that the actual injury & rehab are "in the rearview mirror", I am rather glad it happened. A bit of a much needed wakeup call to take a bit more care of my aging body -- the healing process is much slower than for a young man.
disengage