Miniscus tear and surgery

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Squire
Squadron Leader

Re: Miniscus tear and surgery

Post by Squire »

Sam the fact you are considering a change may mean it's time for a change.
Regards,
Squire
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Squire, I agree. A little of the 'piss-and-vinegar' I had is gone.

Insurance held up the review of my surgery so it was a no-go on November 5th. It is supposed to be tomorrow, the 12th. The leg does not ache or throb as much, but at times is downright uncomfortable. Those who can endure this and let a tear heal (that is, if it can heal on its own like that) have my respect. I can't get comfortable sleeping at night and get about 2, 3 hours of the deep sleep.
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

Sam wrote:Squire, I agree. A little of the 'piss-and-vinegar' I had is gone.

Insurance held up the review of my surgery so it was a no-go on November 5th. It is supposed to be tomorrow, the 12th. The leg does not ache or throb as much, but at times is downright uncomfortable. Those who can endure this and let a tear heal (that is, if it can heal on its own like that) have my respect. I can't get comfortable sleeping at night and get about 2, 3 hours of the deep sleep.
Been to the Dr for this surgery twice. Not fun waiting for it. Hope you get things done tomorrow and get back on your feet soon. I was playing golf and I walked in those days about a month after my 1st surgery. Could have gone a bit longer but the wife says if I mess it up she wasn't gonna wait on me hand and foot or knee again. Nice gal she is.

What I really am replying to is your statement highlighted in the quote. Have not heard that comment in like 30 years. Was one of my dad's favorite descriptions of the actions of some people. You know what I mean. My answer to him was why he would mess up a good drink by adding the vinegar! Got him with that the first time I said it. After that he would try to smack up side the head. Never made contact though.

Hope all goes well tomorrow.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
preidy

Post by preidy »

It happens. Ripped mine 2 years ago carrying firewood - fell. Surgery is only way to really fix. Be a lie to tell you it was a snap. Just make sure you do rehab as directed will assist in speedy recovery. For me took about 4 weeks to get over the hump. Good luck.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Surgery did . First evening not too bad. Now if I'm off my feet an hour first step is balky . More soreness than anything. Can walk without crutches . Bet I'll need rehab to work on knee bends, etc . Just having the surgery has made my outlook positive . Just awaiting it and then the delay really took a toll on me . Thanks men for letting me vent and for the well wishes
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

Glad things went well Sam. Now just listen to the Dr and take it easy even if you feel you can do more. Over doing it will set things way back for you. Good Luck with the rehab.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Great news Sam! Now you can start a new obsession . . . walking canes.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

And walkers! Maybe some of those 4-tip canes, even. Just kidding Sam! You're already walking about without the need for mechanical external support, and it'll just keep getting better as time goes by, so long as the required therapy is uninterrupted. Good luck and best wishes for a full and speedy recovery.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Speaking as one who walks with a cane daily I believe in their usefulness. With a cane you won't loose balance and at my age if I fall something breaks.

I can see Sam with a gold headed cane displaying a certain je ne sais quoi.
Regards,
Squire
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

You know Squire I know the problem with age and walking and falling. I am kinda in the same boat though may not be your age I'm not far from it. But lugging a cane around is not something I want to do. I need to lug a portable O2 concentrator (thanks to 50 yrs of smoking) and carry a man bag or sorts. I can see myself someday walking with a cane to steady myself. So glad someone as distinguished as you admitted that you need the extra help. Thanks it makes me feel better about my disabilities.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Bryce I went to lunch recently with a gent older than me who left his cane in the vehicle when we arrived at the restaurant. He doesn't want to be seen in public walking on a cane because he thinks people will view him as feeble or something. Small town gossip and all that.

Fine I said, just don't expect me to pick your ass up when you fall.
Regards,
Squire
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

My dad has neuropathy and can't feel his feet. I'd use a cane willingly if I need to. Today finally bathed. Feel super. Can stand one legged on the bad leg . Just can't do a knee bend. Top of knee is swollen still . Bandages off. Just the two stiches. I'll take it slow and won't drive until Monday . My attitude is much improved. Still more sore than anything. It will just take time hopefully
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

It's still progress Sam and I'm glad to hear of it.
Regards,
Squire
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

Good news Sam, you need to crawl before you walk. Oops, make that limp before you run! :D
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Good for you Sam!

FWIW, I was at a match today, moved wrong, and my knee talked to me and kept murmuring for about 10-15 minutes until I relocated the torn cartilage. No doubt it could have just as easily moved even further out of place. After that minor incident It was good for the rest of the day though.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
jthomas60506

Post by jthomas60506 »

Sam,

Very best wishes. I am on consultation number three tomorrow for my right knee. I wish I could say I injured it doing something heroic, but I think it is just years of sports wear and tear catching up. I'm meeting with our university's sports physician, and I'm hoping for an answer. I can barely climb the stairs.

Hang in there!

Jay
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I suffered the great trifecta knee injury skiing nearly 10 years ago. ACL tear, MCL tear, LCL strain and torn meniscus. Doc said it was quite a pretty mess. Had the surgery, and to make a long story short -- it's worth it. Be sure to be absolutely anal about your exercise regimen. I was faithful as could be, and even then it took 8 months before I got the get-out-of-jail-free card from my surgeon. Long road, but there is light at the end of the tunnel.

I found it interesting how common knee injuries are. Especially ACL tears -- thought they were professional athlete injuries, but not so.

Best of luck.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I had an arthroscopy for a meniscus tear some years ago. It didn't take long for the tear to re-appear (one of those shelving horizontal tears right at the edge that always seem to do just that). I used to grumble about my right knee giving way on stairs, and then I had the good fortune to get arthritis in the left knee. It hurts much more and my right knee is now my 'good knee'! Hope you recover quickly, Sam, and will soon be tripping the light fantastic with some dolly on a dance floor.

C.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
BiffBuff

Post by BiffBuff »

In my earlier post, I mentioned injuring my left knee last summer by leaping off a boat onto the shore (VERY foolish). Anyway, as I mentioned, it took months to heal, and I still think of it as 99.9% healed -- I will always be a little extra careful of it.

Then, just about a week ago, I was standing in my own living room, and pivoted slightly on my right knee to reach something behind me. I experienced a brief, sharp pain, and it's been mildly sore ever since. I am convinced that this is a very minor injury (compared with the earlier one to my left knee), but it has re-ignited my determination to be damned careful in the future.

Good news about your recovery Sam -- glad you won't require a cane (at least not full-time) and I send healing thoughts your way whenever I'm being mindful of my own fragile knees.
disengage
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Chris: I could not pinpoint an event that caused my knee to swell up. One day, Im taking Otezla for psoriasis and three days later, knee blows up. So I asked if it was a gradual wear-and-tear thing and he said no, it would probably be that horizontal shelving which would resemble a flap like one would fillet a pork tenderloin to stuff. Mine was medial/inside, a moderate tear. What surprised me was two things: (1) he found a second tear on the front knee cap, that did look more like gradual but still more vertical than horizontal, and (2) they did not suture up the thing. He said because there is no blood supply in the areas where the tear occurred, he cleaned it up, scraped off some arthritis and said go rehab on a stationary bike.

I get a lot of knee popping in both knees now. Can stand one legged on the bad knee, but deep knee bends, not yet. Rode 25 minutes on the bike today, going 6 miles. Pulled the seat up almost to the front (recumbant bike) so that I exerted more torque over my knee. I'll do eliptical machine in about a week and maybe weight bench leg presses.

Now, having favored the bad knee, my good knee hurts a bit, and pops, but I guess doing all the rehab will strengthen that one too. Dancing remains to be see sir.