Steam engine #470 to run again!

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
ShadowsDad

Steam engine #470 to run again!

Post by ShadowsDad »

We've been in Maine for 35 years and I've seen this old engine on the short section of track devoted entirely to it every time we go into Waterville. But it will run again!

Here's the story, and a bit more.

http://bangordailynews.com/2014/06/17/n ... run-again/

http://www.newenglandsteam.org/about-mec-470

If you want more info' just do as I did and google "Waterville Maine steam locomotive #470".

According to the buyers the engine is in much better shape than they thought it would be. I'd love to see it running again.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Rufus

Re: Steam engine #470 to run again!

Post by Rufus »

I love those steam locos. They remind me of my childhood in Southern Africa when I took the train to boarding school; a two and a half day trip and all by steam power. It was great fun, especially the return trips for holidays, but it got mighty grubby from the soot and cinders when the compartment window was open - no air conditioning in those days and the route was along the edge of the Kalahari Desert for a day. Usually there were 4 to 6 of us lads in a compartment and by the time we arrived at our destination we were dog tired and aching for a hot shower. Blowing one's nose after and during a trip was quite interesting not to say disgusting from all the soot we'd inhaled. Great memories and I'd love to take a trip on a steam train again before I shuffle off this mortal coil.
Bryan
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I have no idea if any operate in Canada, but there are quite a few operating in the US. A google search should turn them up.

It's something I want to do too.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

Wow, great story, Brian! Reminds me of the opening sequence of "Out of Africa" when the steam train is filmed traversing some unbelievably beautiful terrain. What great memories those must be!
Jim
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I have a favourite steam loco, and I was taken to see it run through the village where I was born as it pulled the last train that would ever run through that line after the Beeching cuts. What started as the Swindon, Marlborough and Andover Railway in 1873, joined with the Swindon and Cheltenham Extension Railway of 1881, to become The Midland & South Western Junction Railway Company in 1884. In 1921, the difficulties experienced by the government in taking over all rail services for war purposes in the Great War led to the passage of the Railways Act, which forcibly grouped 120 railway companies into the Big Four. Southern Railway, Great Western Railway, London, Midland and Scottish Railway, and London North Eastern Railway were all that remained. The M&SWJR became part of the GWR. Following WW2, the Labour government of Attlee had the mandate from a popular vote to nationalise many industries, and the Big Four all merged into British Railways. The rise of road transport led to falling profits, and in the early sixties an academic was hired to report on how to make the rail system profitable again. Dr Beeching (later Lord Beeching) in his supposed wisdom, suggested that all branch lines should be cut to reduce the number of unprofitable lines open. Sadly, he did not foresee that doing this would remove all the feeder traffic to the main lines, which then proceeded to run mostly empty trains and lose more money than ever. Worse still, the branch lines were sold off, and now no one afford to buy back that land to re-introduce rail services that would be cheap and green rather than burning diesel on the M25.

On the 10th September 1961, I walked with my family to watch GWR Manor Class 7808 "Cookham Manor" draw the last train through Chiseldon Station. She currently sits in the Didcot Railway Centre, and if I ever become a billionaire I shall pay for her restoration.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace