Is SMF losing its vigour?

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Cussons

Re: Is SMF losing its vigour?

Post by Cussons »

Squire wrote:You cruise web sites that don't interest you? Good God man, get a life.
Thanks Squire.

I guess inanity is relative depending on your perspective.
This forum serves a purpose for both of us, but for different reasons, with each of us thinking the others reason is inane.

I merely suggested a possible reason for the OP

I'll stop posting from this point on but reserve my right to continue reading

Good day gentlemen.
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Post by M6Classic »

Cussons wrote:
I'll stop posting from this point on but reserve my right to continue reading

Good day gentlemen.
One quivers with excitement at the mere thought of your lurking. I will miss having you around, though. You like most trolls show a highly evolved sense of self worth and a hilarious lack of wit.

Buzz
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Lets not be divisive . If he wants to study us well so be it . He may have a work or scholarly interest or just curiosity . I am sure there are many who read and never post but maybe not a lot. While I agree with Squire I'd have no issue with a schlolarly observation . Beats many addictions I could have!!
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Post by M6Classic »

I must demure, Sam. You may very well be right, but I detect a run-of-the-mill, off-the-shelf troll who is frustrated because he couldn't get anything started here.

Buzz
brothers

Post by brothers »

I have observed that within the almost infinite number and variety of internet discussion fora, a great many are quite harsh and divisive, to say the least. It's a fact that any public internet forum is available for observation and lurking. No biggie. That confrontational aspect of perfect strangers eagerly lashing out against one another is less than desirable, and quite unpleasant to see, in my opinion. If there are others with opposing opinions, I have no control over that, other than to refrain from confrontation. If there is passion within our ranks it is routinely directed toward our shared objective of making the daily shave a more enjoyable and efficient experience.
Last edited by brothers on Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Ah Sam, ever the gentleman, I have to side with Buzz. Inane is inane and provocative posts are made solely to provoke. Those of us who live in the real world have to accept that occasionally those who don't will wander in looking for directions. Too bad they can't read a map.
Regards,
Squire
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

I'd offer to buy a round of beers but thankfully this is the Internet so my wallet is safe :)

Where is Dr. Moss when we need him?
Regards,
Mike
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Ready and willing to buy a round of internet beer anytime you like. Send the troll packing first though.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Cussons

Post by Cussons »

drmoss_ca wrote:Ready and willing to buy a round of internet beer anytime you like. Send the troll packing first though.

:lol:

Oh look. The guy that feels everyone should know he's a doctor.

Got any new pics of the Jag to show us doc, you know so we can all sit in awe of you? :D =D>

And banned in... 3....2....1.... :wink:
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Cussons the troll wrote:I'll stop posting from this point on but reserve my right to continue reading
Thought better of that, did you? Since you ask to be banned, I shall not comply. I think we shall leave your puerility on display for all to see and laugh at.

C.
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Nah, I've disciplined myself not to gawk while passing a car wreck.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

I don't find this individual listed as a current member under any username. - Thanks Chris. - He does have one distinction among the membership --- he's got an official descriptive personal title (troll) that up to now has been reserved only for the old-timers. :D
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

He's not banned, but temporarily inactivated. He didn't seem to have any interest in doing anything but annoying us.
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

At which he failed. Still, there's a bit of amusement factor from one who gets his sense of self image from being followed on Twitter.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... et_dog.jpg
Regards,
Squire
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Thanks, Squire. I'm amusing myself by asking for a custom.....hmm, better not say....thanks anyway.

C.
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I have certainly curtailed my posting activity, but that was due to pressures and stresses related to work, that made me loath to be anywhere near a computer. Since taking early retirement in September, I've been much less active as well, but that has been due to the fact that we've been travelling so much the past 2 months. Home now, so I expect to show up a bit more often.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

jww wrote:I have certainly curtailed my posting activity, but that was due to pressures and stresses related to work, that made me loath to be anywhere near a computer. Since taking early retirement in September, I've been much less active as well, but that has been due to the fact that we've been travelling so much the past 2 months. Home now, so I expect to show up a bit more often.
Glad to see you're back and well provisioned with CIL. Now we just have to coax Rustyblade/Richard, Gordon and a few other "old hands" out of hiding.
Bryan
brothers

Post by brothers »

Certainly, the contributions of formerly active members have ceased. They alone control their level of participation, or their decision to quit. We can cry into our pillows "Come back, little Sheba!"; or we can let the dead past bury its dead. Like it or not, the torch has been passed to those who are alive and active. We alone control our own participation. The only way we can influence the participation of other members is through discussion. Obviously feeding the vitality of any discussion forum is on the shoulders of energetic members who currently visit and post regularly. Longing for a return to the past is a sign of fatigue and discontent (fear of the present and the future). Going dormant and choosing to wait and hope for the past to come back is a precurser of the end of existence. Good news --- the present is where life exists, and that's where the energy takes place.
Last edited by brothers on Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

brothers wrote:Certainly, the contributions of formerly active members have ceased. They alone control their level of participation, or their decision to quit. We can cry into our pillows "Come back, little Sheba!"; or we can let the dead past bury its dead. Like it or not, the torch has been passed to those who are alive and active. We alone control our own participation. The only way we can influence the participation of other members is through discussion. Obviously feeding the vitality of any discussion forum is on the shoulders of energetic members who currently visit and post regularly. Longing for a return to the past is a sign of fatigue and discontent. Going dormant and choosing to wait and hope for the past to come back is a precurser of the end of existence. Good news --- the present is where life exists, and that's where the energy takes place.
I think I need another cup of coffee before I can process this, Gary! :shock:
Regards,
Mike
brothers

Post by brothers »

I am saying, don't fret over those who have quit, and become so sad you quit too. Just post and participate and encourage others to do the same.
Gary