Is SMF losing its vigour?

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Kyle76

Re: Is SMF losing its vigour?

Post by Kyle76 »

Of the several forums that I visit regularly, this is the only one that I post on and read for general information on topics like books, knives, guns, cigars, even cast iron frying pans. There is a wealth of information and opinion here from a wide array of individuals. I'll have to admit, I'm disappointed when I visit and see no new posts for several days.
Jim
Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

I too, visit regularly, but seldom post and I've kept coming back now for over 6 years. It's comfortable here, like old friends hanging out.
Regards,
Mike
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Hey, the place is quieter without the grandkids running around. My interest in the subject is undimmed.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Squire wrote: . . . My interest in the subject is undimmed.
Same here. I've got three packages inbound. And am looking forward to using them and posting about it. Whether or not anyone chooses to respond and discuss, as always, remains to be seen! :D
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

I for one do not read each and every forum daily. But I do come around a couple times a day to see how some of the guys in the few forums I visit are doing and to see if just maybe in those less frequented forums there might be something of interest.

Now when I got back to wetshaving in 2008 I joined the 3 most popular fourms at the time BB, TSD and SMF. SMF is the one where I learned the most and it was the forum whose members were the most friendly to me a newbie. They were also encouraging to me to try things. I also noticed that there was very little arguing on SMF. If a few guys got into a discussion with like 3 different arguments that could not be settled like gentlemen they just wrote it off as YMMV.

Nowadays I do frequent SMF and TOST a single edge razor forum. Both of them have a bunch of nice guys who are willing to help out anyone who needs their wisdom and knowledge.

So it matters little to me if the traffic has slowed. At my age I just don't need to go so fast or even shave everyday.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
Cussons

Post by Cussons »

The shaving side of this forum got pretty repetitive after about a month of reading, there's only so many ways you can discuss exactly the same thing.

This sub forum is the only one I visit, and I have to say, I've seen faster moving cacti.

But as said, it gives me comfort in this hectic life of ours.
Straight Arrow

Post by Straight Arrow »

Although my posts are few and far between I still enjoy stopping in to read a few words from the membership. If I have something to say I'll say it. Otherwise I'll just enjoy the calm, read my book, and go to bed early again.
Rich
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

What I have noticed (or imagined!) for the past few months has been a decline in the discussion of new products. I have assumed that the cause has been that companies are not offering new soaps and blades.

You guys are a sharp group; so when someone raises a new interest, as Sam did with cast iron pans, I'm always curious to see what you say, even though I have little to contribute.
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
Gene

Post by Gene »

Agreed - I get new stuff every now and then based on recommendations here. Currently I am really interested on that Williams-like croap found by one of our more adventurous members. I love the scent of Williams, hate the performance.

Very interesting...and reasonably priced. If it performs as advertised I could see it, Cella and MWF being the only three I use at home.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
kaptain_zero

Post by kaptain_zero »

I think the response to this topic says it all... if there IS something to talk about, we'll do just that. :mrgreen:

Regards

Christian
Previously lost, on the way to the pasture. Now pasteurized.
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

I've noticed the drop off too, including on my own part. I know for me it's because life has become pretty busy, and when I get a few moments free to myself I prefer to shut my small brain off. But that is not necessarily a good thing and I would welcome a resurgence of the SMF I joined back in 2009.
Regards,
Mike
Cussons

Post by Cussons »

maskaggs wrote:I've noticed the drop off too.
That tends to coincide with the fact that most threads start with a grandpa Simpsonesque opening...
To my son Homer...I leave these: a box of mint-condition 1918 liberty-head silver dollars. You see, back in those days, rich men would ride around in Zeppelins, dropping coins on people, and one day I seen J.D. Rockefeller flying by. So I run of the house with a big washtub and... hey! Where are you going? Anyway, about my washtub. I'd just used it that morning to wash my turkey, which in those days was known as.....a walking-bird. We'd always have walking-bird on Thanksgiving, with all the trimmings: cranberries, injun eyes, yams stuffed with gunpowder. Then we'd all watch football, which in those days was called baseball...
brothers

Post by brothers »

:D :D :D Hahaha, (I don't get it!) :P
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Post by brothers »

Cussons wrote: . . . most threads start with a grandpa Simpsonesque opening . . .
If I may respectfully submit for consideration --- members can freely create new topics of their own, and perhaps if there were more new topics being created, there could be more discussion. Why depend on others to start threads when you can create your own new threads that are far more to your liking, and more suited to your interests. Several of the comments posted so far seem to be something like: "you other guys should create topics for me to read, and if I want to respond, I might, but if I don't like your topics, then don't expect me to participate." Something like that. Being an active participant is more about contributing to the dialogue, not simply reacting to what others contribute and nothing more. Just my two cents.
Gary

drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

This is all nonsense: I'm just getting started!
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

ha!
Regards,
Squire
Cussons

Post by Cussons »

brothers wrote:
Cussons wrote: . . . most threads start with a grandpa Simpsonesque opening . . .
If I may respectfully submit for consideration --- members can freely create new topics of their own, and perhaps if there were more new topics being created, there could be more discussion. Why depend on others to start threads when you can create your own new threads that are far more to your liking, and more suited to your interests. Several of the comments posted so far seem to be something like: "you other guys should create topics for me to read, and if I want to respond, I might, but if I don't like your topics, then don't expect me to participate." Something like that. Being an active participant is more about contributing to the dialogue, not simply reacting to what others contribute and nothing more. Just my two cents.
To be honest, this place isn't really for me

I'm here more as a lurker coming in now and again looking at forum member psychology

You can tell a lot just by looking at what forum members chose to call themselves, let alone by what and how they post
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Post by M6Classic »

Cussons wrote:

I'm here more as a lurker coming in now and again looking at forum member psychology

You can tell a lot just by looking at what forum members chose to call themselves, let alone by what and how they post
Greetings gentle correspondent Cussons! May I suggest that you take your interest elsewhere. Surely, there are fora that will better nourish your psychopathology. It seems you believe that this community exists only for your amusement and I for one am nauseated by your pre-Copernican view of life. But, that's just my personal opinion.

Warmest regards,

Buzz
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

You cruise web sites that don't interest you? Good God man, get a life.
Regards,
Squire
Antique Hoosier

Post by Antique Hoosier »

Cussons wrote:

Some things are better left unsaid. This forum is not intended to be a project in psychology but rather a place for primarily gentlemen to gather and share common interests. It sounds as though you do not find this to be of interest or value in your particular instance. Be well and leave us to our intentionally cloistered corner of the internet. Cheers.
Mike