Is SMF losing its vigour?

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Jbbmad2

Re: Is SMF losing its vigour?

Post by Jbbmad2 »

Well said Gary. As more of a reader not a poster, it's usually my feelings, and maybe those of others too, that I'd be repeating what's already been said, not being able to add anything to the conversation or not knowing enough to respond. But those should not be the reasons to not be a part of any discussion out there whether to learn more or just be a part of the camaraderie of this site. Thanks for your comments sir.
Bruce
Proverbs 3:5-6
Gig'em!
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

We may have said nearly all that we know, but few bother to go back and read ancient posts (pace, Gary), so sometimes it must be said again. We have become a company of friends, who may not need or want to discuss the minutiae of shaving to the exclusion of all else, but we still like to keep contact and share our thoughts on many matters. It has been said for years that SMF is like a club, and like many clubs the original reason for the grouping has faded a little, but going to the club is still what we do. At least we have avoided becoming a wretched and exploitative shaving forum created explicitly for profit that has so many examples elsewhere. It's true that we lack the time-honoured method of picking our members with white and black balls, and we have to do our weeding out ex post facto, but the results are the same: a club of like minded people who enjoy each other's company and learn from them at the same time. We have nothing at all to be ashamed of in this as it is simply a community evolving to better suit the needs of its members. In fact, I think we ought to be very proud of that.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

drmoss_ca wrote:We may have said nearly all that we know, but few bother to go back and read ancient posts (pace, Gary), so sometimes it must be said again. We have become a company of friends, who may not need or want to discuss the minutiae of shaving to the exclusion of all else, but we still like to keep contact and share our thoughts on many matters. It has been said for years that SMF is like a club, and like many clubs the original reason for the grouping has faded a little, but going to the club is still what we do. At least we have avoided becoming a wretched and exploitative shaving forum created explicitly for profit that has so many examples elsewhere. It's true that we lack the time-honoured method of picking our members with white and black balls, and we have to do our weeding out ex post facto, but the results are the same: a club of like minded people who enjoy each other's company and learn from them at the same time. We have nothing at all to be ashamed of in this as it is simply a community evolving to better suit the needs of its members. In fact, I think we ought to be very proud of that.

Chris
Bravo; well put.
Bryan
brothers

Post by brothers »

100% true Chris. We are disappointed that some (many) of those old friends have disengaged themselves from the fold. Dropping out instead of participating in the discussion is a member's prerogative. Hopefully, new faces and personalities come along to fill the void. Pax tibi 8)
Last edited by brothers on Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Well, I'm always happy to see them but don't fret if they're absent. We all have lives to live.
Regards,
Squire
pausted

Post by pausted »

Having only participated in the forum since 2014, hence a relative newcomer, I have always felt accepted and will continue to enjoy my association with all of you.
Best regards,

Basil
Straight Arrow

Post by Straight Arrow »

This is the only shaving forum that is not really much about shaving. I think that is why I keep stopping by. Sure, the shave talk is here but mostly functions as the framework for a subtler discourse on the often funny, sometimes mundane, always intriguing pulses of life. Like a comfortable living room with a warm kitchen nearby and a well appointed bathroom close at hand, SMF is as cozy and unobtrusive as I want an online experience to be. Vigour? Sounds like so much work to me.
Rich
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I think of it more as a pub but that's just me.
Regards,
Squire
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

Squire wrote:I think of it more as a pub but that's just me.
Most of us (myself excluded) are too classy for this to be a pub. Although I would welcome a haze of smoke and cheap beer.
Regards,
Mike
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Anybody too classy for a pub should get out more.
Regards,
Squire
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

There's pretty much a whole generation now who don't know that pubs used to be full of smoke. I'm not supposed to say so, but I never minded it, and on occasion contributed to it. I think smoke-free pubs are like bacon without eggs.

C.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

drmoss_ca wrote:There's pretty much a whole generation now who don't know that pubs used to be full of smoke. I'm not supposed to say so, but I never minded it, and on occasion contributed to it. I think smoke-free pubs are like bacon without eggs.

C.
Children-free pubs,, however, are sublime. My favourite pub in the Hampshire countryside has a sign over the entrance, "Dogs welcome, no children please".
Bryan
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

drmoss_ca wrote: . . . . I think smoke-free pubs are like bacon without eggs.

C.
I'm a little amused over getting life style advise from people younger than my shoes.
Regards,
Squire
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Wasn't the smoke bad for the dogs? :P

- Murray
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Never heard 'em complain.
Regards,
Squire
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

drmoss_ca wrote:There's pretty much a whole generation now who don't know that pubs used to be full of smoke. I'm not supposed to say so, but I never minded it, and on occasion contributed to it. I think smoke-free pubs are like bacon without eggs.

C.
Yes. I've always been rather perturbed by complaints about smoke from people otherwise all too happy to drown their cognitive abilities in house liquor while rubbing their clothed bits and pieces against strangers to the beat of crappy music. But smoke - oh, no, that's not healthy...
Regards,
Mike
brothers

Post by brothers »

I've been a smoker, and for the most part of my life, I was indifferent to the former state of reality where anyone so inclined smoked and chewed tobacco (my favorite was Red Man chewing tobacco!) products everywhere without a second thought. Now, when I get the scent of it, I become quite ill, short of breath, and nauseated. There's nothing more irritating than getting into a vehicle that's been permanently ruined by the stink of stale tobacco smoke.

Mike, the vision of those folks you describe as "all too happy to drown their cognitive abilities in house liquor while rubbing their clothed bits and pieces against strangers to the beat of crappy music." makes me laugh. Sounds like h*ll. I won't be one of those . . . :D
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

Squire wrote:
drmoss_ca wrote: . . . . I think smoke-free pubs are like bacon without eggs.

C.
I'm a little amused over getting life style advise from people younger than my shoes.
Squire, that is a GREAT one. Older than your shoes. Love it and laughing really hard. Will remember that one and you too for it. Thanks!!
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

this is the mayberry of the shaving forums.

its laid back. its not faddish at all. when the bus rolls into town, we know who should get off. Anyone we don't know gets said hello to and most likely runs away when they cant find a fad of the week.

I happily admit ive been on 3 shaving forums so far. Banned on 2 of them.
badger because I used my cell phone at work, and my pc at home to view the site. complained I couldn't make or reply to posts on the phone. And when I complained about issues going on at the site, I was banned for "multiple accounts". N oone could explain how using my cell phone to log in counted as a separate account. Only one user name and password...

Got banned off the other one for "trolling" as a result of complaining about a moderator who was openly mocking a fellow site member over a physical handicap that resulted in no so great typing skills.

Over on badger, its a hodgepodge of moderators and vendors given the run of controlling what goes on. almost mandatory to buy the newest product of the soap. And to like it. I could go on.

most of us are here for fun. else wheres its simply to sell something or show off assumed status because you use the buzzword product of the week.
Seamaster

Post by Seamaster »

Aye, I'm not a prolific contributor here, but I've tried all the others and this is the only one worth the candle.