And the lost shall be found . . .

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
brothers

And the lost shall be found . . .

Post by brothers »

When I was a little guy, I used to admire an old knife in a leather case that my dad brought back from his time in the USMC during WWII. He had carved "USMC" on the sheath, and it was a favorite of mine growing up. Time passed and one day I found myself alone on a remote outpost halfway around the world, taking care of my Uncle Sam's business. I wrote and asked my dad if he'd send me that knife. Of course he did, and I used it well for a time, ultimately abusing it and breaking off the point, but I continued using it. The nights there are long and dark, and I rested a bit easier with my knife and rifle close at hand.

Now it rests somewhere in a pile of ashes on top of a small mountaintop on the coast of the South China Sea where I ultimately lost the knife. The sheath came home with me 44 years ago, and I've always mourned the loss of his knife. It's always been somewhere in the back of my mind when I'm prowling through the antique stores, estate sales, and flea markets.

This past weekend I spotted an old and well used exact duplicate of the knife and the leather sheath and bought it on the spot, willing to pay any price. Brought it home and went to the attic where I found my old trunk. I knew my dad's empty sheath was there, and sure enough, it was. Getting a bit hard and stiff from all the years in storage. A good thorough dose of neatsfoot oil, and the knife fits perfectly in the old sheath. I have now learned the knife is called Marbles' Woodcraft, Gladstone Michigan, patented 1916.
Last edited by brothers on Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ShadowsDad

Re: And the lost shall be found . . .

Post by ShadowsDad »

Good for you!

I hope the link to the search works. https://www.google.com/#q=marbles+woodcraft+knife
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
brothers

Post by brothers »

Thanks Brian. :) I googled it promptly after I learned last Saturday for the first time what brand of knife it was. I never knew that detail about the knife, of course, or I could have found several of them for sale on ebay way back when google and ebay were first invented. Its a pretty common knife, apparently, and there are some really nice specimens for sale out there these days. I'm so happy now that I've finally got mine.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

It is distressing when we lose an item belonging to some one close who has died. I don't know what my mother did with my father's army uniforms after he died, but I couldn't find them after she died. I have my father's WWII medals and decorations and insignia, but I would love to have his regimental kilt; I probably could buy one, but it wouldn't be the same for me. My grandson is a reservist in a highland regiment and he will be getting my father's medals and decorations when I shuffle of this mortal coil, but it would have been nice to leave him my father's kilt and battle dress as well.
Bryan
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I had to see it Gary. I would have thought it would have been a Kabar, but obviously there were as many knife makers involved as there were makers and models of WW2 firearms.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square