FYI.....on the www, the One Blade

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

FYI.....on the www, the One Blade

Post by fallingwickets »

de gustibus non est disputandum
brothers

Re: FYI.....on the www, the One Blade

Post by brothers »

I'd sure like to be able to try this one out for a few days. But I'm not willing to pay the price just for a test drive.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Having to replace the blade after every shave is a big turn-off. Definitely for the high-spenders in the wetshaving community.
Ron
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

New blade for every shave sounds like an excessive recommendation that I would just ignore - unless there's something very strange indeed about the way this razor works, and it sounds as if it isn't that strange.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

The blade itself is a known quantity to some of our SE shavers here (I'm thinking of Brian/ShadowsDad, in particular) and I have never read anything to the effect that this particular blade is only good for one shave. In fact, Brian commented on its longer life. We have had the occasional member who only gets one shave out of a DE blade, but that doesn't hold true for the majority.

- Murray
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

CMur12 wrote:The blade itself is a known quantity to some of our SE shavers here (I'm thinking of Brian/ShadowsDad, in particular) and I have never read anything to the effect that this particular blade is only good for one shave. In fact, Brian commented on its longer life. We have had the occasional member who only gets one shave out of a DE blade, but that doesn't hold true for the majority.
... and I often wonder whether those few members are dealing with poor-quality water or other potential lather-killers, rather than a blade vs. beard problem.
brothers

Post by brothers »

The blade was not intended to be a single use blade. It is my observation that the concept being put forth by the makers of this razor is to profit from the blades as much or more than the profit on the razor (if any).
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

I believe when it first came out single-blade use was what was recommended by the manufacturer, though users were pushing it past that point but not by far. I haven't followed its adventures lately and would hope current users are getting their money's worth.
Ron
brothers

Post by brothers »

I could be wrong then. It just seems inconsistent for the normal single edge blades to be commonly used much more than just once, in comparison to this blade which isn't exactly inexpensive. I suppose everything's relative.
Gary

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Sorta like the instructions on a shampoo bottle telling the user to do it a second time. Sells more shampoo and using a blade once sells more blades. A blade lasts as long as the user wants.
Regards,
Squire
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

I found this on Mantic's site, quoting from him and OneBlade's manufacturer:
"A fresh blade for every shave is recommended by OneBlade and that did work best for me, but I found I can get up to 3-4 shaves per blade if necessary."
Which is probably where I got the idea in my head originally about its use.
Ron
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

I've heard it claimed that some razor designs cause faster blade wear than others. I guess there's a possibility that this one is an extreme case in that regard. But if one person has a very light soft beard and another has a heavy coarse beard, it's only reasonable to expect the two people to get a different number of shaves per blade.
brothers

Post by brothers »

No argument there Dave. Different strokes!
Gary

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

King Gillette had the right idea, the money is not in the hardware.
Regards,
Squire
slackskin

Post by slackskin »

brothers wrote:No argument there Dave. Different strokes!
What a pun. Different "strokes" on a shaving site. Groooan. Booooo.
brothers

Post by brothers »

I wondered who would catch the humor there. :)
Gary

river1

Post by river1 »

I agree with Gary that it would be fun to try it but not at $300 plus $28 for blades. Doug
Nothing will be accomplished if first all objections must be overcome...
BullGoose
Vendor

Post by BullGoose »

For what it is worth, it did seem to work best for me if I limited the blade to one use. By the 2nd use, the blade tugged and was uncomfortable. By comparison, I can easily get 4 to 5 shaves out of a Polsilver Super Iridium and 7 shaves out of a Feather Pro blade.
http://www.bullgooseshaving.com -Rocnel, Barbaros, Boellis Panama, Savonniere du Moulin, Asylum Shave Works and so much more.

- Phil
brothers

Post by brothers »

That fact further begs the question - why make a razor that requires a blade that only works well for one shave? The obvious question is why this particular blade. Why not choose a blade that we all know will deliver many more than just one good shave. The real irony is that the name of this razor is "blade". How come? Seems it's all about the blade, not the razor. This is starting to look like a PT Barnum stroke of geniu$$$.
Gary

nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

sure makes the outdated gem micromatic look good.