Fitbit or something else

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Fitbit or something else

Post by Sam »

Daughter got a fitbit and she and her husband are into healthy eating. i want to get better and am thinking of getting a Fitbit. Dont know a darn thing about them. Tracking sleep might be good, since if there is a problem there, I can see a doctor about it. They have some Misfits that are about $25 and then lower price points on the Fitbit. I dont need to control music and answer calls, but heart rate and I guess calories burned would be good. Anyone got suggestions and experience stories?
Squire
Squadron Leader

Re: Fitbit or something else

Post by Squire »

Donno Sam, what exactly does that thing do?
Regards,
Squire
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I haven't heard of it, either, Sam. I'm on a low-carb, (relatively) high-fat ketogenic diet that aims to burn fat for energy rather than carbs. What I need to work on is getting more exercise during the winter months, in particular.

- Murray
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

Fitbit measures your activity and distance walked each day. It helps you to reach daily fitness goals. You wear it like a watch. Personally, I'd spend a little more and get an Apple Watch, which does all that and a whole lot more.
Jim
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

I had thought that too Jim with the Apple. Bigger price point by a factor of 3.to 4. Times what I want to spend. Looking at the fitbit charge without heart monitor. I can keep up with calories taken in and burned. The wrist heart rate monitors are a bit inaccurate for the less than $200 models. I guess if I get back to running outside it could be useful. I used to run for time or distance. I found some on eBay new for $80 and Amazon for $110. I might get one off eBay for the price. I'm trying to give up artificial sweetners and watching portion co

ntrol. For whatever reason with my knee tear I have lost and kept off about 16 pounds since mid October. I'd like to lose another 10.
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

Cheaper for sure, Sam. Either device should help if you will follow it. I've heard of people who get very committed to their steps goal. Good luck!
Jim
brothers

Post by brothers »

I know several folks who've done the fitbit fad and lost interest. It is useful for those who are strongly committed to tracking the stuff mentioned above. I was given the fitbit charge, and it does help maintain interest in heart rate, sleep, steps, distances, and calories burned, etc. However, I found it very easy to completely forget about wearing it for several days at a time on an ever increasing curve.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Just another gadget in my book that'll end up in the back of a drawer collecting dust. SWMBO had one, but very quickly lost interest in it; in other words, the novelty factor didn't last long. All we use are bog standard pedometers to count our steps and they suit our needs. I've found the best incentive for me to exercise is to have my thrice weekly workouts with a personal trainer. I've been using the same one for five years now and really like it because it disciplines me to work out regularly and, most importantly, properly. The discipline comes from the fact that I schedule my sessions a year in advance and they can only be cancelled with at least 24 hours notice or I pay. After interviewing five gyms/trainers I went with the local YMCA; nice, dedicated people and their rates are very reasonable.
Bryan
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Gary, that is why I want to research it a bit. I was looking at the Fitbit Flex and there are complaints about the band, how it fits, tearing up, and dropping out the inner disk that is the computer so to speak. Upgrade to that is the Flex. I like that it looks more like a rubber bracelet than a watch, but the band is complained of. It does not track stairs. Not much cheaper than the Fitbit Charge. So I am looking at a Charge or the Charge with HR.

I dont know what caused me to lose 15 lbs with this knee. It has been 6 weeks post surgery and the weight has not come back, or if so, 1 or 2 lbs. Sweaters and pants have a bit looser feel. Another 10 lbs and I would be much satisfied.

I have heard that people who journal are more likely to keep fitness and food intake a priority. The wristband allows for continual monitoring, except when I shower, and can help with sleep. It promotes feedback and the online thing allows for data crunching and coonparison over time.

I can see how it looks like a watch and of course I would wear it on my right arm, and maybe it looks stupid to have two watches on. Then again, I might just sell my watches and wear it instead. I mean if I keep with it, it could be the future is here now. Heck for the longest Clinton wore a black rubber watch like an Ironman with suits as president.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Bryan, that is another fear, and why I am going the Ebay route. But if I liked it and really got into serious workouts (say running with interval training rather than just jogging say 30 minutes or 3 miles as I did), I can see me getting a much better watch like the Apple watch or upper end Garmins. I might benefit from the trainer as you have, but I also might try to weasel out, saying weather is bad, or trainer too far away. I guess it is six of one, halfa dozen of another
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Sam wrote:Bryan, I might benefit from the trainer as you have, but I also might try to weasel out, saying weather is bad, or trainer too far away. I guess it is six of one, halfa dozen of another
That's a valid concern and why I set up my training schedule with a financial penalty if I try to weasel out of a session. The only time it isn't enforced is if I'm sick or injured. After five years, however, I find that I have little to no inclination to weasel out because I feel good, physically and mentally, after each session. Moreover, working out with a personal trainer ensures that I do the exercises properly and that my regimen is appropriately varied; since I'm 68 both of these are very important.
Bryan
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Fitbit and similar are terrific tools to use to manage your health. Combine them with any of the top fitness/health apps and you have a resource available that can make being healthy and fit incredibly challenging and rewarding. Worth every penny!

clive

my partners company (several thousand employees) uses fitbit. 10,000 steps per day plus a few other metrics thrown in and if you make the grade health insurance is free. Fail and your contributions towards premiums rise significantly. These type of carrot/reward systems for benefits are fast and furiously moving across industry and for good reason: health is worth investing in

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

If you happen to own a newer iPhone, an alternative to buying a Fitbit would be to download the Fitbit app. If you're like a lot of people that have their phone on them all the time, it'll keep track of all your steps.
Regards,
Mike
brothers

Post by brothers »

fallingwickets wrote:Fitbit and similar are terrific tools to use to manage your health. Combine them with any of the top fitness/health apps and you have a resource available that can make being healthy and fit incredibly challenging and rewarding. Worth every penny!

clive
I am in full agreement, my own problem is a tendency to get lazy, and slip out of control. When I am on track and fully motivated, it works.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Being a gadget guy, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't interested in a Fitbit. The thing is, that so long as I get my annual physical religiously, stay active, and weigh myself weekly as a minimum, that's pretty much all the motivation I need. I do own a Garmin 310XT GPS fitness device which I often use when I cycle, walk or snowshoe. Not sure they are worth the money or not .... although I have heard word that insurance companies are starting to give them out to clients at a discount and use the information to help reduce costs to the insured. Mind you, it could also go the other way if you don't go in the direction you intend to.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Anyone having issues with the Fitbit Charge or Charge HR battery after updating the firmware? I am reading that this is a big issue. Then again, I got an almost new (Christmas gift) Charge HR for $95 shipped on eBay, versus $150 and tax from a brick and mortar store
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Jupiter wrote:If you happen to own a newer iPhone, an alternative to buying a Fitbit would be to download the Fitbit app. If you're like a lot of people that have their phone on them all the time, it'll keep track of all your steps.
I read that. And there is an app called Lark. But with the Fitbit, I can check out sleep patterns and also use it as a calorie updater. I think that it is a techy way to journal food and activity, but with the ability to sync it to a phone for ease-of-use and then have schematics, graphs and other info that track it over a week and a month, and month-to-month. With this influx of data, probably easier to see improvement and get even more motivation, is what I am guessing.

Then again, I can see smartwatches being more utile, and having the ability to display calendars, texts and even having the ability to use it as a phone. Maybe watches will be a thing of the past and I need to sell the ones I have before I get behind the curve.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

The value of sleep patterns is interesting. Our friends both got them for Christmas from one of their children. They are quite enamoured with them, and I admit that I had gadget envy when they were talking about them.

Apparently, the VivoFit Smart with HR is a better all-round performer. What I struggle with, is how heartbeat recognition can be reliable from the wrist, and particularly how it can be better than a chest strap. But then, I am not too well versed in these beyond recognizing that they have quickly become the gadget du jour lately.

Sam, I''ll be interested in hearing further reports on your experience with it.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Sam, use your new device in good health!

clive
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

P.S. nice buy!!!!!