RIP Charles Roberts

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
brothers

RIP Charles Roberts

Post by brothers »

Charles Andreas ROBERTS Obituary
ROBERTS, Charles Andreas
Charles Andreas Roberts, owner of Enchante, Austin, Tx., passed away on December 8, 2015. Born June 16, 1954 in Columbus, Ohio, Charles was preceded in death by his father, Col. Wagner H. Roberts, USAF Ret. He is survived by his beloved daughter, Alexandra of Arlington, Va., mother, Marianne Rowley of Green Valley, Az., half-brother Peter Hoffman of Tucson. Charles spent his teenage years in Surfside, SC where he developed a deep love for the beach. He attended Socastee H.S. and earned his degree in English Literature from the University of South Carolina. After graduation, he proudly served 4 years in the US Army before becoming a teacher in Arizona. His entrepreneurial spirit led him to Austin and the founding of Enchante, a shaving and fragrance boutique, where he spent over 20 years devoted to his clients, near and far. He was passionate about wet shaving as well as the products and techniques he developed. Charles graciously shared his knowledge with anyone who took an interest. He was a voracious reader and his most enjoyable times were with friends and family discussing history, politics, economics and philosophy.

Friends are welcome at Enchante, One American Center, Austin, Tx on Monday, Dec. 21 from 4-6 pm to share stories and remembrances of Charles. In his memory, donations can be made to the Veteran's organization of your choice.
Published in Austin American-Statesman from Dec. 16 to Dec. 17, 2015
- See more at: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/states ... SMgdA.dpuf
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
drmoss_ca
Admin

Re: RIP Charles Roberts

Post by drmoss_ca »

Well I'm sorry to read that. 1954 wasn't so long ago. I never could take his Method Shaving seriously, as it seemed too reliant on his products. All the same, I'd rather he was still among us.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

That comes as a surprise. I, too, am struck by how young he was. I wish his family the best.

- Murray
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Darn, sorry to read that. Charles was a bit (well, more than a bit) younger than me and a running joke between us was I started calling him "young man" because the first time I met him in his shop (studio, atelier?) he was remarkably fit and could easily pass for someone at least ten years younger than he was. Another running joke between us was my naming his writing style "turgid Victorian".

Funny story when we first met. In town on business we had left in a hurry and my companion in charge of packing left out my shaving gear. Presenting at Enchante after business was taken care of I introduced myself to Charles who recognized my name from the shaving boards. He complemented me on my shave then I told him it was done in the shower that morning with bath soap and a disposable sent up from the Concierge desk. His reaction was a wince and physical body movement almost stepping back, then he said, "Man, that's brutal". He did agree with me though that results are what really mattered.

Over the years I was in his place a few more times and we talked over the phone when I ordered stuff. He was an engaging, energetic, bright, intellectually acute fellow with an easy sense of humor secure enough that he could laugh at himself while frankly admitting his prose style could use some work.

I've traveled around the World and have met thousands of people. Charles was a good guy.
Regards,
Squire
Antique Hoosier

Post by Antique Hoosier »

So sorry to hear this. Rest in Peace
Mike
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Oh, and thanks Gary for the post.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

I regret that I never had the chance to meet him.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
kaptain_zero

Post by kaptain_zero »

Agreed.

I should point out that while I may not have agreed with everything he wrote, I did find his writings of interest, and I read them all keenly.

He will be missed.

Regards

Christian
Previously lost, on the way to the pasture. Now pasteurized.
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

Yikes! He was a little over a month younger than I! I'm also very familiar with both Surf City and Socastee, SC. They are part of the beautiful South Carolina "Low Country." I always felt his methods were a little extreme for me, but his contributions to wet shaving are undeniable. Definitely a loss.
Jim
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

RIP. The way you guys talked about him, I thought that he was much older than me!

As you say, he contributed to getting people to think about shaving properly.
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed